Gmc Swirl

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do just 2 colors then on some test bits of wood try doing it with a red undercoat. Dont be afraid to deviat from the white. Even maybe doing an orange undercoat(light orange perhaps, to give it more of a blood feel. There are so many possibilities out there, I really dont know why people stick with the white undercoat (unless of coarse, you want to have white sections of the guitar or maybe some of the red turning pinkinsh which would also look pretty cool.)

I have noew taken apart my 7-string and am taking pics as I got through each step so I can put a better tut together than with my old pics. Cant wait to get stripping/dipping. mmm yellow/green/pink.

If you do just 2 colors then on some test bits of wood try doing it with a red undercoat. Dont be afraid to deviat from the white. Even maybe doing an orange undercoat(light orange perhaps, to give it more of a blood feel. There are so many possibilities out there, I really dont know why people stick with the white undercoat (unless of coarse,  you want to have white sections of the guitar or maybe some of the red turning pinkinsh which would also look pretty cool.)

I have noew taken apart my 7-string and am taking pics as I got through each step so I can put a better tut together than with my old pics. Cant wait to get stripping/dipping. mmm yellow/green/pink.

Your dipping ANOTHER guitar so quickly?! YAY :D:D

Cant wait to see this one... as you say you are doing, make sure we get LOTS of pictures!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Here are some pics of my first swirl..... It just happens to be similar to a GMC, I put a little whit in for effect. I am very pleased with the way it came out. I like very complex swirls. I am not a fan of large sections of color. Just preference.

Swirl3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Dea...wirl/Swirl2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Dea...wirl/Swirl4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Dea...wirlincase1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/Dea...rlheadstock.jpg

Black Knight- Sorry it took me so long. I haven't had much of a chance to get on the forums. So you're taking it to a finishing shop for the clear coats and buffing? What type of clear are thye going to use?

AMDmonster- Cool man, thanks for bidding. I might have another one up in a month or so. I bought that one as a project. I really wanted to keep it, but my girlfriend made me sell it since I have too many guitars already. It was tough to sell it, but I know I can make more.

I'm doing a blue type swirl but it utilizes darker hues than what I have seen elsewhere. I am doing it on a 570 with the all access joint. It looks pretty good. SInce it is my guitar I am not sure if I want to sell it or not. I kinda like the idea of thinning out my guitar collection, so it might be up for sale we'll see.

Well i have given the guy in the shop a few bits of swirled wood so he can test out differant finishes to test if any of them react with the paint. I seem to remember you said that you were doing yours? Im assuming you have the right gear to do it with then. I will be moving back to my hometown soon and my dad has a workshop where he builds kit cars. Gonna get him to do the finishing on my future guitars. I will hopefully have some up for sale aswell. Gonna get a few RG's and do a monkey grip conversion on them and swirl them. See If I can make a bit of cash doing something I enjoy. Did your GMC sell well?

It seems many people use Poly clear coat. ATD, Ibanez too. From other discussions on this forum it seems the preferred finish for swirled guitar is polyurethane. I already used it as base coat (2 coat then sanded flat) and I will clear with 3 or 4 coats of poly. It depends from their thickness. :D

Gian

Black Knight,

I did alright on the sale. I think had I been more confident with the asking price, I could have gotten more. It played very well and looked killer. No sake in being greedy, though. I just loved making it and owning it for that short while.

• 3 weeks later...

Its very smooth, the reason i stripped down my last attempt was due to bumps and blotchs. but I have been practicing and dont get those much anymore. Im really happy with the swirl, just not with the black colour. should have it redone in a few hours though. Hopefully it will be blacker. I recorded this dip so I can now finish of my tutorial somethime this weekend i think.