Help, How Do I Replace A Nut?

Ive got an Epiphone SG thats needing its nut replaced, ive got a place im going to get one from, but im a bass player at heart, the guitar is just for simpler rythmn backing on home recordings, so i dont really want to go and pay someone £20+ to replace a nut, when im pretty sure its quite simple

I think all i need to do is gently hammer it out (sideways, and obviously sans-strings), then stick the new one in, is this right, will the new bridge need to be glued in or should the strings hold it down ? cheers guys :D

Well i dont like taking information just clean off the net, never too reliable, its just i know project guitar is a reliable place, and couldnt find it in any tutorials

Yeah i know ill have to file down a little bit, but not much (general SG problem apparently)

I think all i need to do is gently hammer it out (sideways, and obviously sans-strings), then stick the new one in, is this right, will the new bridge need to be glued in or should the strings hold it down ?

Take a flat block and lay it alongside the nut (fretboard side) and give the block a sharp "tap" with a hammer. The nut should just pop out. Clean up the area of any glue residue. Your best bet is to take the old nut along with you when you buy the replacement. Try to match it up as perfect as you can, keeping in mind length, height and string spacing. You might need to modify the new one slightly. If its too high I would suggest sanding the bottom down with sandpaper on a flat surface. Make sure its sanded evenly and the end result is flat. A couple drops of superglue should be sufficient to hold it in place. I think you meant to say "nut" rather than "bridge" when you asked about gluing. :D

Edit: huh, after I posted I checked Devon's reference site, sorry about the repeat. :D

Edited by Southpa