Misapplying A Sd Pickup

thedoctor

I have a couple of new SSL-4 1/4 pounders (not from McDonald's) and I was going to put them to use as Tele bridge pickups. I would think that these monsters should be good in that slanted application but I bet I am overlooking something. The neck pickups will be the Fender Noiseless (sic). I guess I want to know if I am wasting them in this particular case. I got em and they are paid for. Sitting around without a home.

Had to edit to clarify the question. I think the contrast between the two pickups would make for a versatile guitar. Never used a 1/4 pounder before so I am clueless. I know the Noiseless is kinda tame. Maybe that Strat bridge pickup would kinda help it along.

Edited by thedoctor

They won't fit into a regular Tele bridge pickup cutout. The Tele pickups also mount with three screws as well. You could use them as bridge pickups just fine, I'm sure, just not with a Tele bridge unless you modify the bridge assembly somehow.

1/4 pounders are my favorite Seymour single coil, BTW. Nice and hot, but you just gotta watch the string pull with those big meaty polepieces. Don't get them too close to the strings!

Crafty, I know the bridge will need to be modified to mount it but that ain't no thang. I was wondering more about the application as far as how it will play with the neck pickup. The string-pull was another issue because I have never put in a 1/4 pounder. It is a case of using a pickup cause I got it versus spending another $76.00 to get a rail or something. Are there any ballpark string-to-pickup dimensions to use on the 1/4 pounders or am I best to try everything? BTW, I am slowly getting better at binding. That is a whole nother world!

Weeelll, my Erlewine book is packed away for the summer while I'm back living with the parents, so I don't have the spacing specs in front of me, but I'm sure if you stick with the stock Strat pickup height you should be fine.

My usual rule with single coils is to get them as close as you're comfortable picking over. In all actuality, the string pull really isn't going to affect your sustain THAT much to really worry about it. I'm sure whatever you do will sound fine because the 1/4 lb.'er is a really great sounding pickup.

Just realized that the binding comment was pointed at the wrong Craft. Yeah, if they are good sounding pickups and won't screw up the bridge PU by pulling the sustain out, cool. I have never in my life messed with a 1/4 pounder or a Floyd Rose. Hard to figure but they have avoided me all these years. Home for the summer? What be your major? Putting a couple through school myself but I made them move out to their own digs. Can't feed the world, you know.

Well, I just graduated from law school and I moved back to Kansas City to take the MO bar exam. Trust me, I'm only living here long enough to study for and take the exam at the end of July. Then I'll actually have time to find a job and get my own place again. The nice thing is that my parents are letting me live here rent-free as long as I promise to keep them in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed when they retire in a couple of years.

Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem at all with the pickups pulling sustain in the bridge position. I never noticed it at all when I had a Strat in my possession equipped with the QP's. They weren't touching the strings, but they were close enough to get some good tones with .009's. Your mileage may vary, but I really liked those pickups.

I should never have given that guitar back to my boss. Warmoth mahogany body, hardtail strat with a birdseye neck and a pearl white body. He put it together but had no idea how to cut the nut or set the action, so I had it for about a semester or two back in undergrad "adjusting the setup" and using it for a few gigs here and there. I had to make sure it was gig-worthy, right??

Heh heh heh...he only got it back when he asked for it back. He had been asked to resign because of something that happened at work, so he wanted to get it back before he moved out of town. Too bad he didn't forget about it over the course of that year. Maybe I'll just have to build a copy of it once I get some more scratch when I finally get a job.

WHEN you get a job? You are taking the bar exams in Mizzou and you wonder WHEN you will get a job? Pass and you will have to beat them away with a stick! Best of luck but you probly don't need it.

Be a good boy and stay away from politics, would you? KC has enough crooked lawyer/politicians as it is.

Edited by thedoctor

Oh, believe me, I can use all the luck I can get. And no, I'm not at all interested in MO politics. I was interested in politics before I went to school with a bunch of people who were way more into it than I was, and now I don't want to have anything to do with them. Just give me a nice ranch outside of Holden and a workshop full of tools and fine woods and I'll be happier than any coked-up politician in the middle of a press conference.

The only thing funnier than dead lawyer jokes are dead politician jokes :D