A New Project?

Okay, so I'm finally thinking about starting a second bass. I've been trying to think up a combination of woods that would look good together, and this is what I have so far.

bodytop.jpg

bodycrosssection.jpg

The top will be some flamed ambrosia (which is basically maple, from what I have read) that I got from a guy off eBay. The back will be alder, most likely from Gallery Hardwoods. Now here comes the fun part. For the middle, I wanted something a bit different. I'm thinking a sandwich of ebony veneer/padauk/maple veneer/walnut/maple veneer/padauk/ebony veneer.

This will be a bolt on, since my first bass was a neck through.

Given this, I have a job for you all. Give me some ideas for what sort of body design I should use. I am a horrible drawer, so keep it limited to something that I can find pictures of (unless you want to design the body for me! if thats the case, go for it!).

I was at first thinking something along the lines of a P-Lyte body, or perhaps a Dinky Jazz. Any suggestions are welcome, though. :D

There are a few bass shapes that don't get used much. With that color scheme, I would go for a Tele bass. No, seriously! But there are a couple others, such as an SG bass, an LP bass (very cool) and the slim-waist symetrical double cutaway. I haven't seen many of these shapes used on a bass. Happy to provide pictures (at last) as my new camera (thank you, nephew) kicks some digital butt.

You can't go wrong with the classic look of a fender jazz bass. And i think those woods would look amazing on a jazz bass.

Yea, I am definately diggin' the possibility of a jazz bass with these woods.

There are a few bass shapes that don't get used much. With that color scheme, I would go for a Tele bass. No, seriously! But there are a couple others, such as an SG bass, an LP bass (very cool) and the slim-waist symetrical double cutaway. I haven't seen many of these shapes used on a bass. Happy to provide pictures (at last) as my new camera (thank you, nephew) kicks some digital butt.

I'm not a big fan of Tele, SG, or LP basses, but I'm kinda curious what you mean by the "slim-waist symetrical double cutaway." Pics would rock. :D

I'm also thinking about changing the padauk to something different. I am going to try to do this for as cheaply as possible, and I'm afraid that a hunk of padauk of that size may cost more than I am really wanting to spend.

And how does a cocobolo fretboard sound with these wood choices?

Take a look here for some ideas.

The jazz bass and the Tele have been done to death in my opinion (which is just an opinion so discard accordingly). Try your hand at some new ideas, especially if you are making it for your own satisfaction.

My favorite bass builder and his coolest bass:

Ken Lawrence Chamberbrase

Another Chamberbrase

Radical and way cool!

EDIT: Padauk is cheap. If you are thinking colobolo for a fretboard then why not Padauk? It is an excellent tonewood.

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

Yea, I had forgotten about Bass Alone. Very good resource for exotic bass designs. :D I really dig those Ken Lawrence Brase basses, too. I'm looking at the Salas basses for designs, though. I want something simple, but something that will look great with the woods I'm going to use.

A cocobolo fretboard from LMI costs less than an Indian rosewood fretboard, and the same as a pau ferro one.

I'm also starting to think about finishing. What would make the figure in my flamed ambrosia really pop out? I've never worked with any figured woods, so I'm in the dark here. I tried some Minwax Wipe-On Poly, but it doesn't really do it. I think I also want some amber tint in it. Any ideas?

EDIT: I checked the site I ordered some veneer for my last guitar from and they have padauk in suitable dimensions. Should cost me about $10 for what I need.

I'm also starting to think about finishing. What would make the figure in my flamed ambrosia really pop out? I've never worked with any figured woods, so I'm in the dark here. I tried some Minwax Wipe-On Poly, but it doesn't really do it. I think I also want some amber tint in it. Any ideas?

Post a picture of the amrosia piece you are using. It will help to give you better advice about what you might do. The poly will serve as a good clear coat finish but some wood dye may help bring out the figure.

Well, if it gives a description of the wood, then its just as valid as anything else. Exactly like White Limba and Black Limba, both of which are Terminalia superba. Either way, I knew it was a maple of some sort -- whether its hard maple or soft, I don't know.