Fender Hot Noiseless Installation Tips?

Pekollio

Hello All,

I'm in the process of building a Warmoth strat and will be installing Fender Hot Noiseless pickups. Unfortunately, the diagram that came with the pickups looks to be a 7th generation photocopy of a photocopy. I have plenty of diagrams from online sites but I do have a couple of questions.

1. Fender suggests using 1meg pots for both volume and (2) tone controls but because of the horrible diagram I cannot tell what cap to use, any suggestions?

2. Is there a recommended brand of capacitors?

3. I came across a Jeff Beck Strat wiring diagram and although it looks to show the exact pickups I purchased, it shows a 500k volume pot and two 1meg tone pots. Will this method make a serious difference? I have contacted the Fender Customer Service department and found it to be pretty worthless as it took them 20+ minutes to find out that the pickups I own are manufactured in the color 'vintage white'.

I have some experience with the installation replacement pickups but this will be my first time attempting a complete wiring of a guitar, so please bear with me if these questions seem ridiculous.

Thanks for the time, it's greatly appreciated.

Rich

~~Pekollio~~

Edited by Pekollio

Pretty much any .022uF (or you might prefer .01uF if your tone pots are 1 Megs) film or ceramic disc cap will work (I prefer film caps, but I can't swear that there's an audible difference). Most any brand you have access to will work fine - I've used Xicon, Mallory and Illinois interchangably without any complaints, and this isn't an application where the sterling qualities of a Solen or some other high quality audiophile cap is really going to make any difference (IMO). Using a 1Meg volume pot will make the overall sound somewhat brighter than using a 500K (so long as the volume is wide open).

I think you will be happier with the .01 caps, as LK said. The noisless(sic) are my #1 refit and I have no clue why. People are always happier with the lower value cap, when given the choice. If I don't show them the alternative, they don't know but that would be decieteful. What horrible spelling!

Thanks for the info. Now, despite the fact that Fender recommends using 1meg pots, the customer service person @ Fender told me that I could also use 500k pots if I prefered. Will this make a huge difference in terms of brightness? The body is made of Black Korina.

Rich

~~Pekollio~~

Edited by Pekollio

Thanks for the info.  Now, despite the fact that Fender recommends using 1meg pots, the customer service person @ Fender told me that I could also use 500k pots if I prefered.  Will this make a huge difference in terms of brightness?  The body is made of Black Korina.

Rich

~~Pekollio~~

Pots are cheap, so why not experiment? Guys like EVH and SRV used to hack their guitars to hell and back looking for the right sound. Buy both and see which ones you like best.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Pots are cheap, so why not experiment? Guys like EVH and SRV used to hack their guitars to hell and back looking for the right sound. Buy both and see which ones you like best.

I hear ya, that's what I decided to do try both values of pots and see how I like the end result.

Thanks for the information and tips folks, it's greatly appreciated,

Rich

~~Pekollio~~