Les Paul J.page Wiring- Problem With Finding Pots

V S

hi there!

I'm new to that forum.. hello everyone.

And well, that are my first questions.

1)

I already added coils splitting to my LP using long shaft CTS push/pull potis.

However what I don't like about these pots... in opsite to the stock gibson pots they seem to be logarithmic instead of linear. All the volume is gone with turning the knob just a little bit.

Are there any push pull potis with long shaft that are linear and if yes where can i buy them?

Or can i modify the CTS pots by exchanging the platsic part which has the layer which is responsible for the electric resistance? Anyone already tried that?

2)

I want to install phase switching and parallel/series switching, too. The CTS pots don't work for this since they only have 2 connectors. I need the ones with 6 connectors (besides the 3 regular ones).

But I never saw any of thes push/pull pots with a long shaft. Are they available at all?

Some help on these issues woule be appreciated.

Cheers,

Volker

Edited by V S

However what I don't like about these pots... in opsite to the stock gibson pots they seem to be logarithmic instead of linear. All the volume is gone with turning the knob just a little bit.

Are there any push pull potis with long shaft that are linear and if yes where can i buy them?

Actually... the kind of pots that have a linear VOLUME control have a logarithmic RESISTANCE control (Logarithmic D-Taper (sometimes just called "audio taper") are the proper ones). It sounds like what you have are actually linear pots, the wrong thing for volume control, which gives you exactly what you've described :D.

Edited by jnewman

Strange. U can order gibson pots here in germany at www.thomann.de. Their

homepage says the stock pots are 300k/linear for volume and 500k/log for tone.

Maybe they mixed something up. It just felt to me that the stock pots let the volume bleed of softer than the CTS push/pulls. Maybe I should use the CTS pots as tone pots. How is it for tone? Is linear or logarithmic better?

Edited by V S

Maybe they mixed something up. It just felt to me that the stock pots let the volume bleed of softer than the CTS push/pulls. Maybe I should use the CTS pots as tone pots. How is it for tone? Is linear or logarithmic better?

thomann.de has it backwards - with humbuckers you (usually) use 500K log pots for volume and 250K or 500K linear pots for tone.

thomann.de has it backwards - with humbuckers you (usually) use 500K log pots for volume and 250K or 500K linear pots for tone.

ok, in this case it would have been better to use the linear CTS pots in the tone position. unfortunatly all JP wiring diagramms i've seen had them at the volume position.

Edited by V S

Actually that info from Thomann is correct. Gibson has been using 300k linear pots for volume, and 500k audio for tone for some time now on production models.

Read the tech note here

Check the values here as well

I'm not sure why they use 300k lin pots for the volume controls as most players don't like it. That is one of the first mods that many players do is swap those for 500k audio taper pots.

Edited by noplugsjustinfo

Gibson has been using 300k linear pots for volume, and 500k audio for tone for some time now on production models.
Well, the first schematic you linked to specifically states 300KA, which I've always taken to mean audio taper, while the second explicitly says linear. This goes along with my belief that Gibson really has very little idea what they're using at any given time, but that's just me. From what I can remember (the 70s was a long time ago), the original switch to 300Ks was prompted by an analysis of several original LPs that were touted as sounding "authentic" that showed that a lot of the 500K pots originally used were way below spec, some as low as 280K (IIRC). The theory was that the out-of-spec pots were the source of the vintage "warmth" - whether it worked or not is a subject for historians, but I didn't notice a huge difference starting in '73.

I was puzzled by the "A" as well, and agree that we must consider the source!

It does seem that the Burstbucker and Burstbucker Pro pickups that Gibson is using these days are not lacking so bad in high freqs. 300k volume pots might be a good choice for them. I don't really think that would be true for many other humbuckers.

I had read that about the out of spec pots from back then. Thats about 40% out of tolerance? Yikes.

• 3 weeks later...

just one final note:

got my pots from allparts.com and everything works fine now. if you'd like to do the same wiring on your LP i's recommend four DPDT push/pull pots instead of two and two CTS SPST push/pulls as shown on some wiring diagramms. the DPDTs run smoohter than the ones from CTS. they're a lttle bit harder to wire, though.