The Tremol-no Has Been Licensed!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the Tremol-no be adapted to work with a bass tremolo? I've heard that the bass tremolos have horrible tuning stability, although I'm not sure what actually causes it (does the tremolo unit not go back to the right position? Do the positions of the strings change enough to knock it out of tune?). If it could be adapted to work with a bass tremolo, you may have solved the age old question of "How do I keep my bass trem in tune?"

Guest gsrguitars

I honestly thought a UK retailer for Kev's product might be useful.

AllParts is a USA company feeding a UK division... pricing would work out expensive for UK peeps. Just a thought, but s'all good.

Cheers,

Gary

Congratulations again Kevan, it's just awsome this worked out for you. So whats the deal with the ibanez one? I know the classic is out, do you have any time frame for the release of the other? Or will it depend on the success of the classic? Which will no doubt be a huge hit! Built for guitarists by guitarists! That means we'll all like it. Nice clean up btw. Jason

Guest gsrguitars

You mean this one?...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...mconverter.html

Ultimately, I feel the important thing here is the design - the engineering and the ultimate simplicity. It's not a new idea and attempts have been made to crack the problem before.

The best design will dominate the market. Given Kev already has AllParts behind him - he'll get some amazing exposure, probably more than he would had Stewmac taken up his idea.

Cheers,

Gary

That unit is a very similar one, but it does the same function as a block on the sides of the springs of the tremolo. I have done a mod like that to a guitar, with a threaded insert in the side of the springs, and with a bolt with a slim down nut on the inside, once the guitar is tunned, the bolt is adjusted and locked in place. This will give you a dive only like SMacs piece, and at about $2 worth of parts and some hard work.

Kevans unit, when not engaged give you full tremolo action. Which is better than my idea. I think that Stews already know about the tremol-no, this is no new-news, and Kev has been waiting on the patent ad other stuff for ever, it is not new for other companies to hurry and copy something to an extent.

I still like Kevans desigs better, it looks more sturdy, and it has the screws on top that you don't need an allen wrench to adjust.

Sorry for the delay folks...had a little Jemfest thing to do. :-)

Let's get some of the questions answered...

Could the Tremol-no be adapted to work with a bass tremolo?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I didn't do any testing on any bass trems. If bass tremolo systems utilize the same claw-&-spring setup as normal trems, then I think it would work fine. You might need to change out the thumbscrews to set screws. If I get a chance, I'll try it out on one. Anyone have Randy Coven's email address?

:D

im really excited about this lil invention, should be selling like hot cakes in no time. which shops will be distributing the tremolno? is it just allparts?

neways, congrats with the licencing, i look forward to buying mine!

laters

AllParts is doing the distribution of the Tremol-No. That means that wherever you buy AllParts parts, you can pick up or order a Tremol-No. This includes all the GC and SA stores, regular dealers, and online.

Yep- they're going to the distributors overseas as well (UK, Japan, etc.). They will be available worldwide.

Congratulations again Kevan, it's just awsome this worked out for you.  So whats the deal with the ibanez one?  I know the classic is out, do you have any time frame for the release of the other? Or will it depend on the success of the classic?  Which will no doubt be a huge hit!  Built for guitarists by guitarists!  That means we'll all like it. Nice clean up btw.         Jason

Jason- you're exactly right. The manuf/distro of the Standard depends on the success of the Classic. I also have a few other 'proprietary' tailpieces for some other trem blocks, including some of the kookier ones. I'll keep you guys updated as to what's happening with the alternate tailpieces.

Thanks for the congrats, and whatever you do, don't stretch the truth by calling me a "guitarist". B)

hey kev you seen the new stewmac catalog?  They have something very similiar in it...

Oh yeah. See below....

I already emailed him about it last week

Got it, Scott. Thanks.

You mean this one?...

[Link to StewMac product]

Ultimately, I feel the important thing here is the design - the engineering and the ultimate simplicity.  It's not a new idea and attempts have been made to crack the problem before.

The best design will dominate the market.  Given Kev already has AllParts behind him - he'll get some amazing exposure, probably more than he would had Stewmac taken up his idea.

Cheers,

Gary

I've actually had a couple of forum converstaions and emails with Marcel (the inventor). He's a decent guy, and I look forward to meeting him one day.

We went two different routes when it comes to bringing a product to market: I chose licensing, while he chose to produce them himself and get a simple distro deal. No biggie. Both ways work, but I think licensing opens up a much broader scope initially, esp. when it comes to a brand new product that no one has seen before. It certainly helps that AllParts is #1 or 2 in the world when it comes to parts distro. :D

Besides, StewMac never returned my call (back in 2003).

I checked out Marcel's little gadget. It's made VERY nicely- good metals, great machining, but...in the end....it's a glorified TremSetter that requires you to drill into your guitar. Also, Marcel's unit is spring loaded, so it will mess with the feel of your trem.

I didn't even install mine. The pseudo-English instructions were just too....umm..Dutch for me.

It's nothing against Marcel. He's a nice guy, and it's cool to see him trying. I personally think he over-complicated the device, thus making it very hard to install (requires a qualified tech because you have to drill into the trem block), and fairly difficult to operate.

Anybody see this yet?

Freelok

I wish I could comment, but my attorney has advised me not to. Sorry.

Though it's not about licensing, I'll break the rules and get you guys an update:

Tonight I'm working on a script/layout for the Tremol-No demonstration and instructional videos. They will be available for download in the Support section of the site. For $5, you can get them delivered to your door on a DVD.

Rob Keeler and I will be shooting the videos the day after SummerNAMM (aka- The Show No One Is Going To, So Let's Drink A Lot!). I'll get them edited and up on the site before units hit the shelves.

Requests are welcome. :D

Though it's not about licensing, I'll break the rules and get you guys an update:

Tonight I'm working on a script/layout for the Tremol-No demonstration and instructional videos.  They will be available for download in the Support section of the site.  For $5, you can get them delivered to your door on a DVD.

Rob Keeler and I will be shooting the videos the day after SummerNAMM (aka- The Show No One Is Going To, So Let's Drink A Lot!).  I'll get them edited and up on the site before units hit the shelves.

Requests are welcome.  :D

Please make a more or less subtle reference to something on pg or to projectguitar itself that we will understand and no one else will :D

Hmmm...for a Bigsby, eh? Maybe after Gibson calls me up. :-)

Thought I'd let you folks know that Tremol-No.com has been updated with all new CAD pics. These are what the production units will look like. No major changes, but you'll see more arcuation on the claw hooks, and some rounded corners to make it a little sleeker/harder to build. (LOL) The bright, pretty colors are gone from the main pics, but the Parts image has some purple, bronze and red.

I'm working on the Players page. Let me know what you guys think about this so far:

http://www.tremol-no.com/players2.htm

(The images will all be thumbnailed later today; sorry dial-up users)

I'm still messing around with it, but so far I'm diggin' it. Simple and clean.

Suggestions are welcome