Led's On A Neck Thru

Ok I doing A neck thru with my new flying-V design I was hopeing to use green

Led's for the inlay BUT Im only planing on useing only one pickup at the bridge

And I cant Think Of a way to make it work

Am I SH!T OUTA LUCK :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

u can install the lights as usual,then thread a wire throught the bridge pickup,then through to the controls,and make a switch.my way seems way to expensive tho.isnt it just the same as a bolt on?

u can install the lights as usual,then thread a wire throught the bridge pickup

I really dont see How that would work! :D

lets say u have the neck wired up,and u have the wire comin outa the bridge,and then u drill a hole through the neck pocket through to the pickup cavity to feed the wires to,and then as there is already a hole to let the pickup wires reach the control cavity,feed the led wires through there,assuming u want an on/off switch at the control cavity

i could draw a picture if ur really stuck,but i'm frustrated the now as the comp is freezing lol,but if ur making the neck through from scratch,it should be easy...ish lol

Edited by whitey

Um ok You do know How A neck thru Work's right? there Is no neck pocket

Hear check out this link :D

This Is what Im Planing On doing But Only the one Bridge pickup

http://kxkguitars.com/guitar_SSV.html

ahh,i was thinking of a glued in neck,sorry,have u got the tools to rifle dill?just drill a hole from the pick up cavity,to the truss rod cavity,and u have a rout for the wires,i guess u have to make sure that the wires dont go near the truss rod by extending the truss rod cavity,sory for the confusin lol,but there's a way for everything i guess

ahh,i was thinking of a glued in neck,sorry,have u got the tools to rifle dill?just drill a hole from the pick up cavity,to the truss rod cavity,and u have a rout for the wires,i guess u have to make sure that the wires dont go near the truss rod by extending the truss rod cavity,sory for the confusin lol,but there's a way for everything i guess

No that Wont work I thought Of that One And it's a no go :D

how?lets say ur truss rod is 1 meter...just think lol,all u need to do is to lenthen the cavity my 5cm or so,and when you route your neck pocket,drill a ho,le fron the pick up cavity,to the truss cavity?

The problem Is that Im not building the neck MikeB is and im trying to think of a way for him to not have to rought out the pickup cavity

But It may be the only way That or I dont use LED's

matt..don't know if you have the tools to do your own fret job or not but if you do have the neck made without the fret board..have him route a little channel to one side of the truss rod cavity then you could drill from the tail end of the neck to that routed channel. you'd have to be good with long bits and go slow so as not to heat it up to much. they tend to wander if you go too fast. then you install your fretboard and frets and jam.

might not work but its the best i've got. :D

One solution I can think of is to use some flamed maple, or other figured wood (or none figured, whatever), route a small channe in the center neck piece from the fretboard area to the pickup cavity, then drill a hole from the LED channel to the channel that you just routed. Once that is done, get all the wiring in place, then glue the top on. As long as you mark where on the top the pickup cavity would be, you could drill a hole, and then use a router bit with the guide on the end rather than at the top (like you would use for templates).

I hope all that made sense. I could understand if you didn't want to go to all that trouble, but I think that due to your design it will be a rather troublesome problem to fix.

Here's another idea. Why not have all the batteries/electronics for the LEDs up closer to the heel of the neck so you can just drill down at an angle? Then just route a channel from there to the main electronics cavity so you can wire up a switch. You could make one big control cavity cover to cover the cavities.

OR, do that, but instead of haveing one large control cavity cover, laminated another piece of wood (you could get away with 1/8" lam) on the back and then just use standard covers.

Ok I have no idea how To put a top on A zero angle neck thru :D

Whats hard about it? Just have MikeB make the thickness of the neck where the body will be 1.75" minus the thickness of the top (i.e. if you want to use a 1/4" top, have him make it 1 1/2" thick). Then just cut a "slot" for the neck/fretboard and glue it on. That make sense?

Ok I have no idea how To put a top on A zero angle neck thru :D

you will need a thicker blank I think, at the point of where the fretboard stops, you have a step down of the same height as your top, then they should match up.

eg, if you have a 1/4" thick top, then at the body end of the blank you take off 1/4" for the top to sit on, the best example of this I've seen online(although not a neckthru) is ormsby's vine guitar, I figured it out from that, but I'm not good at explaining things so here's a budget pic

edit: damn you primal, i was making dodgy pic when you posted!!!!

Edited by Mr Alex

Whats hard about it? Just have MikeB make the thickness of the neck where the body will be 1.75" minus the thickness of the top (i.e. if you want to use a 1/4" top, have him make it 1 1/2" thick). Then just cut a "slot" for the neck/fretboard and glue it on. That make sense?

(Whats so hard about it) Ha Well This Is all new to me man :D Im set in my bolt on neck way's, but Im trying To bust out a try something new

I feel like I did when I first started building guitars But this time I have Some PG backup B) Thanks primal,Mr Alex and everone For all the Help!! :D

Now How would I do this "slot" for The neck/fretboard Does any one Have any pic's of this being done

(I'll bet this is so simple Im about to look DUMB B) )

matt

what type of finish are you doing?? if its going to be painted, why not just rout a channel for the wiring and then put a strip of timber over the top??

matt...that is my personal guitar you linked to,so i replaced the link with the generic page...that's why is says WF...those are my initials

look matt...make the neck first...then BEFORE you glue on the wings...rout the wiring channels through the side of the neck blank and through where your pickup cavities will be,then glue on the wings and when you rout the cavities,the channel will appear

Ok Wes I Like Your Idea But How would I get the wire from the fret board to the wiring channels? should I just Have mike Drill a hole just off to one side

of the truss rod

EDIT'Oh ya and The guitar will be painted black

OK OK Cool thanks Guy's This Is great Me and Mike Should be able to come up with something good now :D

so have u written a thread about this neck through?wat are the specs?sorry if u have,

oh,and there are some guitar fretlights that you can mouth the switch at the headstock,might be another option?dunno if thats easier