Looking For Some Suggestions

I started building a guitar before but had some bad planning mixed with a lack of understanding of just how difficult building the neck would be. Rather than continue with a few errors, I'm starting again this summer. I plan to buy a neck and build everything else.

I already have a bunch of guitars. I want a six string. The guitars I all have are mostly basswood bodies and maple necks. I think I want to go with something different, maybe mahogany? I'd also tool around with the idea of a maple fretboard. I've already got some good locking tuners and a wilkinson trem for hardware. Is a graphite nut a good choice or is there something better for holding tuning? I think I want to go neck through for sustain.

Where's a good, reasonably priced place to buy a custom neck with these sorts of options? I might also want the Ibanez JPM or Prestige inlays, where the dots are small and between the E and A strings. I play a lot of metal but I also play jazz so I don't want a purely shred axe; I want good tone and sustain, but low action without buzz. As far as shape, I really like the shape of the EBMM John Petrucci neck. Fast and somewhat thin but not so thin that chording hurts.

Basically, suggestions for where I can buy a neck and for what types of woods I might want to look into?

The minor increase in price for the soulmate isn't enough to deter me, when I decide to build from a pre-made neck. Those multi-lammed, made-to-order necks seem like excellent value-for-money.

Other than that, I'd be more tempted to go with the Carvin than the StewMac, given the reputation Carvin has for playability.

Greg

The minor increase in price for the soulmate isn't enough to deter me, when I decide to build from a pre-made neck.  Those multi-lammed, made-to-order necks seem like excellent value-for-money.

Other than that, I'd be more tempted to go with the Carvin than the StewMac, given the reputation Carvin has for playability.

Greg

Carvin makes necks for StewMac. :D

yup, all options available for their guitars are avalaible for the necks...

i'm getting one without inlays (10$ more...)

i THINK you have to call and ask for options... I am myself interested in how much having it made in mahogany would cost...

Edited by Pr3Va1L