Which Is Your Choice Neck Thru Or Bolt On

an example of excellence.

the theory that the glue line on set necks slows resonance transfer enough to create reverb.

a set neck to me sounds like an almost unnoticeable reverb...possibly from the glue line imperceptably(almost) slowing down resonance transfer between body and neck?

an example of excellence.

the theory that the glue line on set necks slows resonance transfer enough to create reverb.

a set neck to me sounds like an almost unnoticeable reverb...possibly from the glue line imperceptably(almost) slowing down resonance transfer between body and neck?

read my sig,buddy...the red part..study it well,you can add it to your "tertiary education"

My home made bolt on (regular fender style) has more sustain than my lp. It's not so much the type of joint as much as it it the quality of joint. As long as you have a tight, well fitting neck pocket your set. I much perfer bolt on's because if the neck warps or you break the neck it's no problem to change. With a neck through you might as well get a new guitar and with a set neck it's very expensive to get a new neck.

just my .02

I'm not a teacher because of failing at something else. :D I question why I chose teaching some days, though... the board I work for is notoriously difficult to break into with a contractual position. I'd probably be making more money schlepping hamburgers. :D

Greg

but being smarter than my teachers was not tough...if you are not..well then that just means you are average...not a bad thing.

so anybody not smarter than their teachers is average?

i guess youre right,

after all most highschool teachers (here anyway) have only had 5+ years of tertiary education. any above average highschool student would know all that

stuff easy.

but do not find it so hard to believe that a guy like me could,in fact,be smarter than most...

i dont find it hard to believe at all, you come across as a remarkably intelligent

person. i bet you dont even need to assert your superior intellect with trivial

doctorates and such,theyre way too easy. everybody knows youre "smarter than most".

Come to the US and attend a public school in one of the states in the lower half of the public education system rankings. It's pretty depressing. The schools are not held to a high standard and there's a bad shortage of teachers. Also, I doubt there is anywhere in the world that "most" high school teachers have 5+ years of tertiary education, at least the way that term is used in the US, i.e. graduate work. In the U.S., five years of graduate work is enough to get a master's degree, a doctorate, two master's degrees, or a master's degree and a doctorate. Very few people with that level of education work in the primary educational systems in the United States, because, quite simply, primary school teachers in the US are not paid nearly as well as they should be.

All that said, it's possible that in New Zealand every high school teacher has a doctorate, but I kind of doubt it.

I doubt there is anywhere in the world that "most" high school teachers have 5+ years of tertiary education, at least the way that term is used in the US, i.e. graduate work. In the U.S., five years of graduate work is enough to get a master's degree, a doctorate, two master's degrees, or a master's degree and a doctorate. Very few people with that level of education work in the primary educational systems in the United States, because, quite simply, primary school teachers in the US are not paid nearly as well as they should be.

All that said, it's possible that in New Zealand every high school teacher has a doctorate, but I kind of doubt it.

well here anything after highschool is tertiary so first or undergraduate degrees count.

well its taking me 4 years to get a BSc[tech] (3 for BSc) then if i wanted to teach science at a highschool(secondary) level i would need some sort of teaching degree on top of that which would be 1 or 2 years depending on cross crediting

so yeah 5 or 6 years if i wanted to be a highschool science teacher but less for a pe teacher or similar.

New Zealand, Canada, the U.S., and many other countries require a Bachelor's of Education, which is post-graduate work. It depends on your state/province how to attain it, but commonly it's one year of specialized training after your Bachelor's. In some places it's two years of specialized training. Even in areas with the one/two year system, you often have the option of taking "concurrent Education" in which there are teacher-related courses interspersed throughout your normal Bachelor's degree. Then you still have one year of specialized training, but you are awarded a Master's of Education instead of a Bachelor's.

When I taught in Mexico, it was preferred that the teachers had an Education degree in most schools (and required in others), but I went before getting my B.Ed. When I came back and did my education degree, I discovered that there ARE actually techniques to be learned (I was skeptical, I have to admit) that I wish I had learned before becoming a teacher.

There was supposedly a teacher shortage in Ontario, too, but it must've been in any city other than Ottawa. I'd move away just to get a full time job again (other than supply teaching) but my girlfriend is here and I don't think she'd be all that pleased by that decision. :D

Greg

After our current premier got elected (the first time) he hacked and slashed away at the education budget. A lot of schools got closed, teachers laid off and classrooms got bigger. I have a few friends who are out of work in the teaching area and, at best, can only get temporary, substitute teaching positions. If they want to get fulltime jobs they will have to start their careers out in the boonies, places like Tuktoyaktuk, Inuvik, and other small communities. For that matter the same goes with doctors, dentists and other community support occupational fields.

Sounds like Ontario. What a sad state of affairs.

Our Premiere just opened things up a bit-- grade 1 and 2 classes are now limited to 20 students in each, which creates more jobs in theory. In practice, though, it hasn't impacted ME, because there are already so many out-of-work teachers higher in seniority that are waiting to snatch those jobs back up now that they're available again.

'Sides, I teach grades 4-12, which means teachers in THOSE grades would have to move laterally into gr. 1 and 2 positions to open up a position for me. <bah>

Greg

yeah theres a big shortage in highschool teachers here

theyre pretty desperate, salaries have been increased alot and full study grants for those becoming maths chem physics or maori teachers

i was considering doing it : fully paid for BSc and BEd +$10,000 for course related expenses (read guitars and beer) but id be obligated to teach for as many years as they pay my fees,living exp etc within the next so many years

by the time ill finish starting salary will be $41,000ish nz

what does a highschool teacher start on in the us?

Dunno about US. Here, depending on the degrees you get before starting, it can range between $37,000 and $41,000 CDN. It all depends on where on the "grid" you start at.

Then you get steady and fairly substantial raises for the next 15 years until you cap at about $75,000 a year or so (don't have the grid right in front of me). As a department head, you also make an additional stipend on top of your base salaray. And then as admin (VP or Principal) you go onto a different grid entirely, which I have no idea about. I'd imagine you can make $120,000 or more as an experienced Principal.

Greg

I'm almost done with a neck-through (my first guitar) and I love doing it this way... my next guitar's going to be a set-neck, mostly because I couldn't find a piece of rosewood big enough to do a neck-through with a rosewood neck. I love neck-throughs, but they do have the cons people have already mentioned.

On the other hand, you can probably charge more for them :D.

borge, it varies in public schools a lot based on school district and state, and in private schools there's just no telling. I know they're too low to bring in enough teachers, but I can't give you any actual numbers.

Edited by jnewman

I have made mostly neck thru guitars and one or two bolt ons.

Which is it...one or two? hehe :D

Maybe try and make more bolt-ons and keep track of your time, material & tooling costs and compare that to your neck-through building costs.

Track it as precisely as possible or it's a waste of time.

Also, look for something that will make your product stand out above all the other builders that are already out there.

This is good avice no matter what you do. To be really successful, you have to keep track of your time and costs. It will keep you from overextending yourself on multiple projects that you don't realistically have time for, and allow you to quote prices as accurately as possible to customers. It will also allow you to view where your biggest costs are, which means you can try to reduce them to increase profits or lower your prices to be competitive, because the low-cost guitar market is dominated by the big manufacturers. But there's money to be made in boutique guitars, quality workmanship with attention to detail, and customzation options that you just can't get from Gibson, Fender, etc without paying through the nose to their custom shops.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

wow, this has just answered a quesiton plaguing me for a while... took ages to find this forum...

about the different sounds of a neck join, i was looking at custom-builds and making my own guitars, when i came upon ESP Custom interactive thing, it not only has Set-Neck, Bolt-On, Neck-Through, but also Set-Through

but then the site has no more information on the pros and cons, etc...

i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what set-through is?

and what neck join would be recommended for a heavy, deep resonating sound, but still nice high-end (ive heard that neck-through gives good sustain but can sound 'flat')

any help much appreciated

I like the big fancy words y`all use keep it up it is very entertaining :D

smack :D

and by the way...i am not your student...i was smarter than all except one of my teachers in school and now that i am out of school(and have been for many years) i realize that the old saying is true..."those that can't do...teach"

I'm kinda late here, but I'm surprised you didn't add that you were better looking that all of'em too... :D:D

and by the way...i am not your student...i was smarter than all except one of my teachers in school and now that i am out of school(and have been for many years) i realize that the old saying is true..."those that can't do...teach"

I'm kinda late here, but I'm surprised you didn't add that you were better looking that all of'em too... :D:D

well you already knew that