!!METAL MATT!!

I am offering to Build blank Guitar bodies

Im puting This Idea on HOLD!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my god!the impailer is probably the most beutifull thing i have ever seen!i will certianly do buisnus with you in the future dude.with the impailer obvously lol,so...wait...i'll pm u lol

I'm sorry matt but its a no go-er. You cant release such beasts and expect the general public to be able to respect them, care for them and domesticate such animals. There would be mass death everywhere EVIL EVIL EVIL. Sorry lol. Nice work im sure you would have some takers maybe you could include a template for the headstock with it too?

Hey Man You have A good Point Not every Ones Going To want A DEADLY CRUSH KILL DESTORY Guitar So it make's sence To offer Softer designs as well :D

If you ever want to do this for a living matt, you have just whored yourself out of a career.

PM'ed

Finally, I'm glad you decided to give the luthiery business a try! I was sure it would work out for you after I saw a lot of your designs and how the bodies turned out perfectly. You have quite a few really nice original designs and I know a lot of people will jump at the opportunity to own a METAL MATTS Original body. Also once you've sold a few bodies, you could make extra cash building bodies that are common to most guitarists. Like LPs, Jems, Vs, Teles and others of course you might have to make a minor change somewhere or get permission, but either way with the way you put great woods together to make bodies I think you will be successful.

Have you designed a logo or company name? I think you will have a good thing going especially with Rich(fryovanni). With the wood supply from him and your designs I don't see where it could go wrong. Just be patient, most businesses start kinda slow. Also if you still have some of your bodies, try to get some good pics of them all in the same spot, try and find a primo spot and use it for all your pics, it might look really professional.

Hell Ya I'm stoked for you and Rich, I think only goods things are to come! If there is anything I can help with please let me know. I live in San Diego CA and I've met a lot of people in the 10+ years I've worked here, I actually have been here all my life! I wouldn't mind doing some advertising for you, maybe you could design an advertisment, I could take it to the local shops like Guitar Center and post it up, I know a few people there that might let me. Anyways just a thought, good luck and I hope it takes off for you! Jason

what exactly do you mean by THAT?

yea what does that mean? too?

That Was Just Perry Offering up Some Good advice And A waring

about The dangers of me selling My designs and How It can Effect me in the future.

Remember what i said Matt??? Its started already... see??

Hey guys, I was just curious what this is all about! A while back I started seeing a few of Matts designs and I thought they were good and original, and I suggested maybe he should come up with a name so he could sign his products. I think what he is doing is exciting and he is brave for venturing out on his own to build a name for himself. I have had many friends that started out with way more simple ideas than this and ended making a good living working for themselves! Like I said I am just curious about the meaning if anyone could let me know via pm or just post unless it is too secretive.

By the way rhodes I have been advised by some experienced people that you are very good at what you do and you have some great advice, so if I made a mistake in my post somewhere let me know I was only trying to give Matt my vote of confidence as I think he builds bodies very well. I have seen some of your work and it is exceptional and I can only hope to become half as good as you! Good luck with everything and if you think I should edit my previous post in attempt to help Matt out in someway I would be more than happy to do so. Thanks for posting your work as it is useful for me to learn from. Jason

basic cut down version of a couple messages i send to matt....

If some one buys a body blank cut to shape, what makes you think they can complete that and make a workable guitar, when the easiest part is done (the bit which makes it look likes its almost finished too), the hardest part is yet to be done.

If someone CANT cut their own body shape (regardless of copying designs or not), why does matt think they will be able to execute the rest of the project correctly?

How does he feel about someone like Litchfield, or the other recent "guitar makers" on here, who have no shame in displaying extremely BAD workmanship, display absolutely no eye for detail, and cant use basic tools to build basic guitars. Secondly, how does he feel about having his name (body by metal matt designs) plastered all over an ebay or classifieds advert when these butchers try to recover as much cash as they can to remove themselves from a failed project??? Because thats EXACTLY what they will do, use MATTs name to boost THEIR chances of on selling (they dont even need to sell, just show it off on a forum like this).

Is that worth the few dollars you're going to make on each body???

How much may that effect you years down the track when you DO have a legitimate business??

What sort of person CANT cut their own body out, BUT THINKS THEY CAN do perfect neck joint routs, pickup routs, bridge placement, lacquering, etc.

Look at litchfield, he will NEVER EVER be able to make guitars now. NOT EVER. NO ONE will let him live down what is essentially five mistakes over a couple years. His dream is gone forever because he tried to make a few bucks, and ruined his name through bad workmanship. Do you want your name associated with that type of bad workmanship Matt??? YOU HAVE ZERO control over the quality of work on "your" guitars once it leaves your hands, but YOU WILL be judged on it ultimately one way or another.

good advice Perry. Now I see what you meant by that. At first I thought a war was going to start lol.

So do you think it would be better for matt to go down the path by completeing guitars and selling them on here?

*future reference for all of us here*

-Jamie

Personally, i think he should forget about selling them, and just keep building. Get a second job to help afford the addiction, like i did, and go from there. Detail the builds on a web page, and the rest will simply slot into place. Thats how it worked for me, i did no advertising, and im now booked out until march next year, have around $50,000 worth of work to do (plus repair work), and ive only been at it full time for 18 months (and part time for less than 18 months before that).

If you do a good job, word of mouth will support you.

Well I dont Know What To do!

On one hand I have my family and friend's That are Really Happy and excited

That Im trying this And I feal like I would Be leting them all down If I gave up, plus The Fact That I need Money and I would Like To do what I love To make Some Of that Money

On the other hand I have A Guy That I trust and respect and that know's what he doing and Has made a living out of doing What I WANT to do and he's Offering up advice and A waring With The best intensions to help me from making

what Could Be A bad decision!!

Talk about torn In two

I feal like I would Be leting them all down If I gave up,

How are you giving up? Just keep making guitars. You've started this craft for the wrong reasons if it's to make money. Most do it for fun, and eventually become pro if they are good enough.

Thank you rhodes for the post, I understand why you let him know of your experiences and what to avoid. You indeed are wise in the ways of luthiery and business. One question I have though, what if he kept his idea of selling his product but decided to add the neck and bridge. That way the only thing that the customer would need to do is the electronics, add strings, and tuners. The hardest part of scales, neck pocket routing, pickup cavities, necks would all be taken care of and the customer would still be able to personalize it with their own tuners, pickups, strings, and if they want do some finishing. They would get the feeling of a do it yourself kit and it would be difficult to make a negative from it, you can't really say that since he doesn't install the electronics that he has terrible workmanship, thats just the whole idea from him, he'll give you the basics and you can finish it.

Your point was well taken though, I can see where things like that happen, but if he only did bodies then noone could screw it up and complain because he wouldn't be selling guitars, just bodies. But if he did bodies then decided to upgrade to finished guitars then there is a possibility of this happening. So maybe Matt you should hold up for a little while until you have the finances to haves necks, bridges and all the routing done. I know that kits are sold everywhere and they seem to do a good business and they are basic, boring, and very common. If Matt did something similar with the hard stuff taken care the rest would be up to the customer, which would make it fun to finish and completely original.

Again thank you rhodes for your advice, and letting me know what the deal was. Maybe you should give Matt some ideas on how to make it work, because he does nice work and it is original which is rare, to have both of those qualities and to be able to keep them up is a winning combination.

I'm glad that there are people such as yourself that have great knowledge and experience and are willing to help out people that are learning and progressing. It make me feel safer that if I make a bad move that there are folks here that will clue me in on what to do and not to do! I hope Matt, you can figure a way to build yourself a business as I think it would work with your stuff, maybe work with rhodes and rich to find a way to do it! Good Luck with everything! Jason

Matt, your designs are very cool, you might want to consider getting your designs trademarked (and edit out the links until you do). It is expensive and time consuming, but a good business practice. Because this is a public forum, anyone could cruise on in here, swipe your body designs, and trademark them for themselves. At the same time, because you first posted them here in the forum, we're all here to back you up if someone actually does it.

Perry's advice is sound. Sure, you could sell bodies or kits to have people do what they will with them, but only as a hobbiest (not with your "brand name") and not with your best original designs. You'll want to reserve your best stuff for the day when you really hit prime time, building complete axes. Don't give up your dream, just be sure you go about it in a careful, deliberate way and try to think everything through. Business plan...

Well I dont Know What To do! 

On one hand I have my family and friend's That are Really Happy and excited

That Im trying this And I feal like I would Be leting them all down If I gave up, plus The Fact That I need Money and I would Like To do what I love To make Some Of that Money

You arent letting your family down, they are letting YOU down by pushing you somewhere that hasnt been researched. If you need money, get yourself a job. It aint hard, ive NEVER been unemployed for more than 2 days since i dropped out of school.

How are you giving up? Just keep making guitars. You've started this craft for the wrong reasons if it's to make money. Most do it for fun, and eventually become pro if they are good enough.

I dont mean giving up on building guitars I ment the selling boides idea

and I NEVER started this For money!! I was hopeing To use the skills That I have For design and Building boides to make some Extra cash so that I could

start building better guitars BUT now I can really see Perry's point hear

You know what guy's Us members hear At P.G are Extremly lucky to have this

kind of knolge shared with us every day on the forum

I just Want to thank Perry and fryovanni For All the help On this one!!

Thanks Guy's