Musicman Petrucci Project.

Ok! Finally got this project going as i'm home from uni now. Had a warmoth neck with a musicman headstock for a few months now. so i thought i'd make a... kind of... petrucci model. Always wanted one, but as per, not enough money.

Anyway! Specs:

Padauk body (nicer than basswood in my opinion)

Warmoth 22 (eek) fret neck with EBMM headstock and stainless steel *big* frets.

Schaller locking tuners

LR baggs X--bridge (piezo!! yay!)

Dimarzio Steve's Special/Air norton with petrucci switching

Fender TBX tone control, Stereo double jack switching wiring thingy (will explain eventually!)

Dark purple/maroon colour hopefully when painted (with matching headstock).

Probably not too intune with the originals, but hey. good for a first project (and i know i'm a wimp for buying a neck, but hey!! will make one next time)

Its at the tidying up stage now, all carved and routed, just needs tidying up. But, first i need to buy some sand paper. Oh, and why didnt anyone tell me padauk dust gets EVERYWHERE??

Post pictures tommorrow. On 56k again at home so may take a while :D:P

:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blasphemy, it Blasphemy, stone Him B)

Why would You want to paint Over Paduk Don't get me wrong man It's Up to

you, I just Like Paduk the way it is :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Blasphamy I tell you, Blasphemy!! Alright Matt it's time to grab your weapon, THE IMPALER and help him change his mind, hopefully he doesn't bleed out before he changes his mind! LOL Jason

Bah,let the man paint if he so wishes.

What? Another Blasphemer stone Him as well! :D

I'll Impale You with The DEADLY DESTROYER, THE IMPALER

OK OK I'll leave It be, But really Man Think on it :D

It's Paduk

!!METAL MATT!!

Stone the blasphemers! Stone them!

Er...

I don't remember offhand what Padauk Paddywack... whatever it's called... looks like. Is that the one on Boggs' guitar?

Greg

Righto... Here's some pics.

I may keep it natural, it depends how it turns out, theres a few niks on it... oops. So if they come out ok i may think about it. But i always wanted a purple/maroony petrucci *cries*!

Anyway... First up the front. Neck pocket needs sorting out, havent had chance yet...

Picture001.jpg

Front with the neck on it...

Picture002.jpg

Back (yes i know i havent done the piezo switch cavity yet!)

Picture003.jpg

Not bad for a mornings work yesterday :D

Anyway... off to buy sandpaper!

Oh.... and if i did choose to finish it naturally, what's the best way to do it?

Ta :D

There are a few different options you could use. You could try Tru-Oil, Tung Oil, or sometimes I like to use linseed oil (which really seems to make the grain pop) followed by Minwax Wipe-On Poly. I will probably be using the linseed and Minwax combo on my next build.

Oil my arse, sorry, I don't like oil for bodies, just necks... cherry, red, brownish, bleach it and get it a right shade of orange. I like the subtle lines on the grain, it will look good natural.

If you decide to paint it, it will be fine too, but it will look good in natural .

Hey im also making making a guitar out of padauk. But i hollowed it out because my piece was so heavy. Yours is looking really good so far, very tidy work.

I wouldn't say it was the tidyest work i've ever seen! But hey its a first attempt and has only seen the 40grit sandpaper as yet B)

And yes, padauk is bloody heavy... thats why the electrics cavities are roomy to say the least :D body and neck without any hardware is currently weighing in at half a stone :S But there is a bit more wood to take out yet. As for finishes, I thought i'd try padauk, but so far i really don't like the way it looks. So, i think painting is the way to go.

Oh, and i'm not a happy bunny. I marked two of my loverly stainless steel frets relocating one on the neck screw holes. So now i'm going to go and sulk. Goodnight *cries*

. As for finishes, I thought i'd try padauk, but so far i really don't like the way it looks. So, i think painting is the way to go.

Really, thats too bad I think it would look excellent naturally finished. Maybe if you get the chance look at some more guitars that are naturally finished with padauk, they look so good.

bleach it and get it a right shade of orange. I like the subtle lines on the grain, it will look good natural.

If you decide to paint it, it will be fine too, but it will look good in natural .

Also maybe you could try what Maiden said, and work on getting the color to your liking. The stuff can really blow your mind if properly done and I think natural finished guitars somewhat show off more of your woodworking skills than if you just painted over everything, and honestly you've done a really impressive job so far it would be so sad to see it covered like every other guitar. Good luck either way you go and make sure you post pics as you go. Jaosn

If it has only seen 40 grit as you said, then you might be in for a big surprise when you start really sanding down to the 200-300's. You might just be seeing too much of a scruffy surface to make a judgement. Also vacuum the surface really well as you sand up the grits so you can get a glimpse of the real grain. Then try some oil on a hidden place or some scrap to really get an idea of what it would look like. I think a thin nitro or oil/poly finish with a finishing wax would really look great on there. Or maybe it needs a sunburst?