Converting A Thickness Planer Into A Sander

M_A_T_T

This is an article from the Pacific Woodwrokers Guild, beginning on the fourth page down

http://pacificwoodworkersguild.com/Docs/Ne.../Mar2004web.pdf

I already have a thicknesser, but I found this interesting.

First comment. That particular model of planer is, in my experience, a dificult to use, problematic nightmare. Got one and it sits in a corner as areminder that name brands like Delta don't necessarily guarantee quality.

Second comment. There are plent of do-it-yourself plans available on woodworker's sites to make drum sanders from industrail pieces parts and plywood. I'm guessing that the speed on a planer is a whole lot faster than the speed on my Performax. The latter is slower for a whole lot of reasons. Two of these are that it helps to have both of your eyes and most of your fingers to do this stuff.

What was that old Saturday Night Live skit? "It's a dessert topping!! No it's a floor wax!! No it's both!!" Yeah.

I'm guessing that the speed on a planer is a whole lot faster than the speed on my Performax.

I was thinking the same thing. I think Performax is around 1725RPM....not to mention those little planers aren't wide enough to really be useful.