Neck Through Semi Hollow In Progress

Ok, so here are some pics of the case so far. The area that the guitar actually fits into still needs some fine tuning. It's getting there; it just doesn't look gorgeous yet. This would be worlds easier if the guitar had a flat back, but when did I ever say I like the easy way out. I almost wish I wanted the easy way out; unfortunately, I'm a glutton for punishment.

bottomincomplete.jpg.xs.jpg

That's the bottom of the case. In this pick, the carpetting has been glued onto 3 of the sides and the 4th side is about to have the glue applied.

casetop.jpg.xs.jpg

That's the top of the case, fully carpeted. You can see some of the hardwared sitting on it. That large black signature is what was going to go under the carpeting, but now it's just scrap wood. BooHoo. I'll be cutting out a stainless version of that soon.

foammold.jpg.xs.jpg

That's the guitar being used to make a mold. As you can see, it's a messy process. I've since removed the guitar and it's perfectly clean. The cellophane worked like a charm. The board is layed on top of the neck to get the great stuff to expand while staying flat. I still need to add some foam and shape what's there to its final form.

topinside.jpg.xs.jpg

That's just a picture of the inside of the top. If you take your time with your cuts, you can get a really clean, tight fit. I've carpeted an amp cab before, so I've already learned how to avoid mistakes.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

foammold.jpg.xs.jpg

That's the guitar being used to make a mold. As you can see, it's a messy process.

Cool idea. I've used that gook before...bet that would work with any guitar case--I've got one here that is just a bit too big for one of my guitars...hmm....

So how do you clean up the surface? Is that what the plank is for--are you pressing the stuff somehow?

You can't put the plank on right after you spray the stuff, it'll end up getting stuck to it that way. You spray the great stuff, give it about 10 or 20 minutes to skin over, then you cover it with a board and put some weight(bricks, etc.) on it to force the foam to expand horizontally.

Hey guys, I just came across a bunch of updates on thegarehanmans guitar and I thought many of you would be very interested. It's looking like it's almost done, and it's looking amazing! I really enjoyed seeing this project go from start to finish, with every step posted along the way. Well anyways check it out, I know a bunch of you were waiting on some updates from him so here's what I found. J

without further adeu:

(click thumbnails to enlarge)

fretshang.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's a pic of the frets right after I pressed and hammered them. I actually broke the lowest inlay while hamering the frets. Fortunately I was able to repair it enough to make it imperceptable.

frettape.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's the fretboard after I had clipped the ends off of the frets and taped it all up.

theaftermath.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's the frets after they'd been leveled, crowned, beveled, and polished.

bloodblister.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's the bloodblister I accidentally gave myself while cutting the frets to length. That plyers in the backround was the culprit. I hurt myself a lot; sometimes I wonder if I'll blow myself up one day. :D

teasershot.jpg.xs.jpg

And here is a teaser shot showing the $40 maple humbucker mounting rings mounted along with the lexan pickguard I made.

Enjoy!

Edited by jmrentis

Ok, so I'm still finishing this puppy, but I took a couple of shots while this coat is tacking up so I can put another on. I love 2 pack auto clear coat.mmmmmm

click to enlarge

wetfinish2.jpg.xs.jpg

wetfinish1.jpg.xs.jpg

Sprayed the final coats about an hour ago and all of the finish is dry to the touch now. It's going to look way better once I get some oil on that fretboard. Anyhoo...

click to enlarge

frontlaunch.jpg.xs.jpg

frontF.jpg.xs.jpg

back.jpg.xs.jpg

Ok, progress pics on the lining of the case. I guess I'm about 3/5 of the way done lining it. It's going quite well, but the glue is very, very messy(but very strong, so it's worth the extra time to clean my hands). You can't see any of the seams which is good because there are a lot. Another good thing about this fabric: it's very flexible. It takes compound curve really well. The pictures really don't do it justice; I had a really hard time getting it to not look like a black blob on the camera. The flash was making it hard to see the contours. Anyhoo...here you go:

click to enlarge:

case004.jpg.xs.jpg

case003.jpg.xs.jpg

Well, I've finished the case. If you want to be legalistic, it isn't entirely finished. I still need latches for it. I'm getting some on monday though. That'll take all of 10 minutes to install. These pictures really don't do the cavities justice. They are just pristine. I think the gnomes have been up to their tricks again. I don't think I could pull off a case like this. Surpisingly enough, it's not much heavier than a skb les paul case, and it's about the same as a rectangular bass case. Although, the difference between this and the other cases is that I can stand on this one, and it doesn't even flex...and who said plastic was better than wood. Anyhoo...

click to enlarge

case3005.jpg.xs.jpg

case3002.jpg.xs.jpg

case3001.jpg.xs.jpg

EDIT: And don't mind any of the sawdust on or in the case, once I vacuum it, it will look a lot cleaner.

Thegarehanman is on a vacation. He attempted to help out malebolgia, and he did, but when malebolgia couldn't understand the answers he was given, he started asking the same question over and over again, so at that point thegarehanman became frustrated and abrupt and then pointed him towards the search button and said noone here will be able to help you. The post ended up getting thegarehanman a vacation. And now everyone sees how frustrating this member was, he just couldn't be helped.

If you want to see the post look here, vacation post.

Thegarehanman will be back on Monday and if all goes well he will be posting his project in GOTM.

And idch he said to say hello to you and that he bet you would like the launch pad if it had a gigantic pickguard covering it! :D

pine_coffin2-705x300.jpg

That Case Is So Cool and Easy looking Im wanting to build One!!!!!! Im Thinking A old movie vampire style pine coffin Case painted black with Iron hardwhere and A red or dark blue crushed vevlet lining. It Might look Good With the Impaler :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thats cool! But my question is, Is that a real coffin, or a guitar case? HAha That would look great though with most of your guitars, especially how you want to do it with the Iron hardware and painted black! Good luck man. J

Wow! That is turning out beautifully! I, for one, am quite glad that he decided to leave a natural finish. Besides having a penchant for natural finishes on nice wood, I think it accentuates the nature theme implied by the inlays and makes for a classier gitter. :D

As far as the "launch pad" goes, I am more or less indifferent to it, but it certainly adds a signature element to the guitar. I like it for that.

*edit* typo :-/

Edited by Bassisgreat

Hey guys, I had plenty of time to work on my project during my luxurious vacation. I have to tell you, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly. Gotta love that malebolgia charactar. Anyhoo, I want to thank Jmrentis for keeping you guys up to date. I have some pictures of the finished product for you, but if you want to see some better ones, you'll have to go over to the August GOTM page to check those out. I also posted a tutorial on how to build(or how I built) a custom case. Check that out too. Well, here are the pics:

Click Thumbnails to enlarge:

top.jpg.xs.jpg

longneck2.jpg.xs.jpg

fullback2.jpg.xs.jpg

No worries! Those close up shots are great, really turned out well. I think the natural maple with the gold hardware is just perfect, something I will definately think about doing too, I like the natural look on woods, never was big on gold, but on your guitar I wouldn't have used anything else, it fits great. Well nice job man, I really like watching a guitar being built from beginning to end, with all the steps shown in between, and you did such a great job. I bet is plays amazingly! Later man. Jason

• 1 month later...

Not that any one cares, buuuut...

I decided the controls on this guitar were too complicated and I couldn't hear enough difference between the kent armstrong PAF's and the LR Baggs T-bridge to warrant having both. I had 1 vol./ blend for the T-bridge, a 3 way rotary selector to select between the piezo/piezo & PAF's/ PAF's. I also had a 3 way toggle to select between humbuckers. There were two concentric pots. One stack for humbucker vols, one for humbucker tones. There was also a stereo/mono pushbutton selector. Anyhow, I ditched the LR Baggs preamp(I'll use it in some future project) and eventually I'll get a normal TOM to replace the T-bridge. Now the controls are 2 volume pots, 2 tone pots, a 3 way toggle for bridge/both/neck, and a mono/stereo toggle. Anyhow, I just wanted to testify to how good kent armstrong PAF's sound in a(jazz oriented) semihollow. I'm going to use their overwound P90's in my next project. They're crystal clear.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

• 4 months later...