Sperzels

I've installed Sperzel's before by drawing measurements on the back on the headstock a lot of times, like below.

Strat_assembly24.jpg

But I recently got the Stew Mac Tuner Pin Drill Jig, and man it makes it a lot easier. I'd highly recommend buying it if your going to be building a lot of guitars.

Tuner Pin Drill Jig

Yeah i used your strat tutorial to install the sperzels, was a definate help, i may get the stew mac jig for future guitars,

its a shame sperzel don't number their tuners, would save time when compared to measuring the individual hights.

chris

Actually I just measure 9/32" from the edge of the hole, to the center of where the pin needs to be.

Strat_assembly25.jpg

The actual post holes are appox. 12/32", so just add 6/32" to the first measurement if you want to know center of tuner hole to center of pin. Which is 15/32", but please measure and test on scrap first, just to be sure yours are the same.

I just recently installed the staggered locking 6 inline sperzels on my ibanez. I really like them so far, I have had no problems at all. One thing that I like about them that saves me some money is when I am working on my guitar. I just put some pickups in and realized that I forgot to attach my new pickup rings from Brian at Universal Jems. So I had to take it back apart to put new screws into the springs fot the humbuckers, with the sperzels it was pretty easy to restring up the old strings, not for playing but it works for testing pickups, action, and anything else that need the string tuned to pitch.

Caution, the string might be very weak after use, so when tuning be very careful of string breakage as this will happen. But it saves you putting on new set then having to pull them off right away. This works well because there is only a 1/4-1/2 of a turn on the locking tuning post. If you plan on doing this it's better not to pull them all the way out the bridge, because the ends are angled and might scratch something, I just tie or tape them together and push them to the side, do my work, restring and tune, then if everything is done and in perfect working order I will put a new set of strings on.

Thats one reason I like these tuners there are many others. I also really like how many options they give you color wise. I just got the satin chrome ones but if I needed other colors they seem to have all of them. One thing I have to say though is, I have heard many good things about Gotoh tuners and I will probably try these on my current project to see what everyone has been telling me about. I have absolutely no problems with the sperzels though, so I think either one would be fine, I will see how the Gotohs are soon. Jason

I'm no a 100% on this one. I'll put a link here for sperzel specs from tk instuments, it helped me out when I was installing mine. I believe they sell 6 inline and 3x3, so I don't think they are completely interchangable, but if you wanted 4x2 I would buy 6 inline and have 4 they regular way and two upside down, from the face of the headstock there will be no difference, from the back the two will look upside down, I actually kinda like this look. Anyway I don't think it would cause any problems this way but like I said I'm not a 100% on that.

You might be able to order them to what you want, this link has custom orders, but I don't remember if they do that or not, I think they might. Either way I think you will be happy with them, I have not run into any problems yet and besides function I think they look good. I'm sure there are some that don't like them, but I do like them and they work good for me and thats what counts. If encounter any problems with them I would not hesitate to post them. Also make sure your headstock thickness is not too big, as you will be unable to use them without major modification to your headstock if so. Good luck! Jason

tkinstuments

Ok so now i believe that can be done by removing the peg with the little screw in it and flipping it... I wonder if there's anyone brave enough to try it? I'm pretty sure it should be easy.

BTW, i scored a set of reverse headstock sperzels locally... 48$!!! (60CDN) and they are BRAND NEW too! I'm real happy about that lol... thats the price i was thinking i'd pay for non locking ones :D

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Well, staggered sets are in 3 sizes... so you could easily make one with this technique... i just have to muster the courage to do it :S

But, after a good inspection, i realised i have some problems. Well, 2...

1st, not so hard to fix, is a locking button that got unglued from the little shaft... What kind of glue could stick metal to metal (i THINK its metal lol...)

2nd ain't so good... It's the little shaft in there that can be unscrewd COMPLETELY out of there. I have no idea how to get it to stop b4 being completely out, but it does not seem like it would affect anything... But i'd prefer to have a set that's perfectly correct...

So that means: always check out things correctly b4 you pay for a "good deal"... Thought none of it is really all that bad, I kinda learnt a lesson there :D

any help would be appreciated though (the 1st one i guess it's pretty simple, for the 2nd i hope someone can help)

THANKS!!!

Gemleggat  Posted Today, 03:14 PM

I wish they made a staggered 3x3 set. I dont know how useful they would be i think i might need them for my Project. Cheers for the info Frenzy.

This might not work as I don't know if they make reversed staggered sets, if they did you could take one tuner from each of the three heights from both sets and you could do it like that, you would end up being able to do two guitars this way. Again I'm not sure if they have reversed/lefty staggered sets but I assume they would. Just a thought.

Also I have one thing I have noticed recently about the sperzels. This could be my guitar, the tremelo, strings or the tuners but I have been having the first 3 strings playing sharp after a short period of not playing, like a day or two. It could be my guitar but I am unsure. Maybe it's something to do with the locking aspect of the tuners as I don't think I have ever had this problem. And why just the high strings? I would figure the wound strings would have this, not the smooth ones.

I have heard someone with this problem somewhere as well, but I don't remember who and where. It was before I bought them I believe. Anyone know why? Honestly I don't really care, it's a very minor problem that is completely undetectable if you play everyday. The pros of these tuner far out weigh the one con I have found so far. But I will be testing some schaller minis, and Gotoh tuners I have been informed that these are worth trying. I am always up to trying new and better products. Jason

Yea they do make "lefty" staggard 6 inline set sets, i guess i could just buy a normal and lefty set and make 2 sets up. I have broken so many indivdual sperzels over the years, mostly from using heavy strings. The biggest the take is a 0.056 i had to open the holes up on the low string to use a 0.060.

Yeah and you have to really watch headstock thickness, the headstock on my ibanez was about the max thickness that it would work with without having to take off the washers which would cause problems. It's still a little tough getting the high strings through as the posts are smaller there. But I still like them none the less.

ok so i figured i'd glue the thing with epoxy, but for the 2nd problem...

Is the screw supposed to be able to come out completely? because only 1 does and i wonder if there's a way to fix this...

BTW, staggered sets are 3 sizes. you have 2 small, 2 medium and 2 long shafts

EDIT:

OK so i now have a 4x2 set of sperzel tuners! I decided to go ahaid with the experiment (after reading they where easy to take apart :D) and it really is easy.

you have to unscrew the flathead screw, take stuff apart... then youre left with the mecanism; the hard part.

Principle here is simple... It SHOULD just come out (and make the shaft spin) by just pusing on it, no? Well no... You have to twist it a little, then push... repeat until its out , and the do the same to get it back in (on the other side, lol....) Just take it all back together and then, another little job... Calibrating the little screw so it's as hard (or easy) to turn the tuner. That's what the screw is for, anyways :D.

Hope i helped someone =D

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Which screw are speaking of? I only have a set of locking tuners, is that what you have? Maybe a pic would help or just some more details, sorry I'm not that good with visualizing. Jason

On the sperzels causing your strings to go sharp, I've read that you have to tune slightly differently with sperzels:

With regular tuners, you want to get slightly lower than the pitch and slowly tune UP to the pitch. If you go past, then you detune past your target pitch and try again.

With Sperzels, you do the opposite, you overtune, and then slowly tune DOWN to pitch.

Does that make sense? That would probably fix your problem.

Also, on the 4 + 2 combo, mixing and matching is how its done.

I too also want the staggered 3 + 3 combo and ordering a righty and lefty 6 inline set is a great idea! Thanks for that gem.

the flathead screw in the middle of the button is the one (and only) screw tongue.gif

So you have this all figured out then, I just didn't understand why you were loosening the screw in the first place, I understand now that I read your edit and I'm glad it worked out for you. I would like a 4x2 set for my next project. Also I wasn't sure if you had the locking tuners or not, but I assume you do. Good Luck.

On the sperzels causing your strings to go sharp, I've read that you have to tune slightly differently with sperzels:

With regular tuners, you want to get slightly lower than the pitch and slowly tune UP to the pitch. If you go past, then you detune past your target pitch and try again.

With Sperzels, you do the opposite, you overtune, and then slowly tune DOWN to pitch.

Does that make sense? That would probably fix your problem.

Also, on the 4 + 2 combo, mixing and matching is how its done.

I too also want the staggered 3 + 3 combo and ordering a righty and lefty 6 inline set is a great idea! Thanks for that gem.

This make perfect sense and I have been tuning the first way you described all my life and didn't make any change after I installed them. I will do as you suggested to see if it works and I'm sure it will and it makes sense, since it locks down on the string, pushing sharp a little. Thanks for the help. Jason

Edited by jmrentis