I've completely scrapped my original design and have decided on the following:

I'm going to make a copy of this bass.

Specs:

Mahogany or Black Limba body

Maple neck

Cocobolo fretboard

5-string

Monorail/Indie bridge

I have not yet decided on electronics, although I'm leaning towards some Bartolini soapbars. I'll most likely buy a Bart or Aguilar preamp.

My biggest problem will be that it is a bolt on. For whatever reason, I am wary of routing the neck pocket.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a brass nut?

Comments and suggestions welcome!

I've completely scrapped my original design and have decided on the following:

I'm going to make a copy of this bass.

Specs:

Mahogany or Black Limba body

Maple neck

Cocobolo fretboard

5-string

Monorail/Indie bridge

I have not yet decided on electronics, although I'm leaning towards some Bartolini soapbars. I'll most likely buy a Bart or Aguilar preamp.

My biggest problem will be that it is a bolt on. For whatever reason, I am wary of routing the neck pocket.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a brass nut?

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Right....before i make a fool of myself id like to mention ive only been awake... *checks* 4 minuites ruffly so this could be a rare post...

Looking at the picture.... towards the top of the fretboard.. there looks like some rare colour... is that the picture or some sort of funky stain?

^^^ Told you it was going to be stupid :D

On a different note, Good luck with your project Primal. it looks like a real nice Bass, dont forget to post pictures when you start :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

towards the top of the fretboard.. there looks like some rare colour... is that the picture or some sort of funky stain?

If its the kinda light bit between frets 4-6 then its just the picture.

T

Ahh rite i wondered that... from sort of frets 3 through to 7 it seems to go slightly lighter perhaps a bit green? wondered if that was some form of wood/stain or was just a weird picture

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yea, the color is from light reflecting of the fretboard. :D

And the reason those MTD basses are so great is because they are handmade by Michael Tobias himself (and by that I mean the people that work for him, because I'm sure he has his hands full with running the business).

Why a brass nut? Just for looks? It looks to me like that bass has a zero-fret so the nut material is less important. If you want brass, buy a piece of flat stock brass and file away. It works easy if your files are coarse enough to keep them from galling or filling up with brass.

Read 3 or 4 tutorials on neck pocket routing again and pick one that makes sense to you and you are comfy with. Really, it ain't no thang.

Anguilar is a nice pre system but there are other methods out there. I would have more of an opinion if I knew the pickups themselves were going to be active or not.

Why a brass nut? Just for looks? It looks to me like that bass has a zero-fret so the nut material is less important.

The nut on my Dean bass is brass and I love it. Always seemed like it would hold up better than plastic or other synthetic nuts. To tell ya the truth, I didn't notice that it had a zero fret. I might just go ahead and do that and get a nice piece of ebony or something to act as the nut.

Read 3 or 4 tutorials on neck pocket routing again and pick one that makes sense to you and you are comfy with. Really, it ain't no thang.

Yea, its probably a lot easier than I'm thinking it will be. I'll check out the tutorials on this site when the time comes.

Anguilar is a nice pre system but there are other methods out there. I would have more of an opinion if I knew the pickups themselves were going to be active or not.

After building my first bass and having built the preamp for it, I think I would be better off with one that I know will work and sound good. I'm setting my goals high for this bass and don't want anything to screw it up. :D

As for active or passive pickups, I'm not sure. I'd like passive ones because they would have more of a character to their sound. I have EMGs in my bass, and while they can get a wide variety of sounds, I have yet to find THE sound. The EMGs are like a jack of all trades.

I thought about some jazz bass pickups, but I have yet to be impressed by their tone on a low B string. Always seem kind of thin.