Worrying Problem With New Neck

I've fitted a new BC Rich neck, scale size 24 3/4", onto my strat (and got so much fret buzz i've raised the string saddle almost to their max), but as i work my way up the neck, each note goes progressively flatter - to the point where the 13th fret is a closer pitch to the open string than the 12th. I don't know how to sort this.

I altered the intonation, but this makes very little/no difference at all.

Could I move the nut so it is futher into the 1st fret?

Here are the measurements:

Original neck:

Length from nut to 12th fret - 32.1cm

Total length of neck - 46.5

New neck:

Length from nut to 12th fret - 31.5cm

Length from 12th fret to bridge - 34.5cm

Total Length - 46.5cm

(give or take a few millimeters on each measurement)

Does anyone know the scale size of a standard strat neck?

Help in any form would be greatly appreciated!

help in any form,eh?

try this...you should at least have a minimal working knowledge of scale length before putting a new neck on a guitar.you just wasted your time and money by not researching.

putting a 24.75" neck on a 25.5" scale body is a mistake...it will not work...and now you think moving the nut will solve the problem?that will create more problems.

either read up and learn about the guitars you are wishing to work on or send them to a pro...

bottom line is you need a 25.5" scale neck ...but not just any one,you need a neck that is made to fit your strat...you can get these at warmoth,usagc,universaljems.com...and about a million other places...but the neck you have is hopeless

Move the bridge 3/4" to make the scale length match the neck(assuming the neck even fits right.) I think you need to fiddle w/ the truss rod. If none of this works then "i spit in your general direction."

that is a clueless response.for one thing,if you move the bridge 3/4" you will be in the bridge pickup rout...for another...the trussrod has not a damn thing to do with it :D

Forget the trussrod, becasue even if you solve the issue of the buzzy frets, you're still stuck with a neck which will *never* play in tune. Neither the bridge nor the neck can be moved enough on a strat style guitar without falling within a pickup route.

i don't know those dimensions off the top of my head. only thing i would think of would be having to rework the pickguard. i really focus on les pauls and any other carved top guitar. just trying to help the guy. down boy, down.

understood...i just worry that if he tries to do what you suggest....then instead of having 2 potential future guitars(make a body for the neck,buy a neck for the body),he will have only a neck left sitting on a hacked up,ugly body...only way to make that work is to fill in all of the cavities,rout new ones,refinish,and assemble.

universal jems has strat necks

http://universaljems.com/cart/necks/economy.htm

$45 for a preshaped headstock

one thing i love about this forum is that everyone wants to help and sometimes brainstorming ideas really fix the problems. but sometimes you just have to follow the advice given by the experts. in other words..you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t. if you had room to move the neck forward the required distance then your neck wouldn't fit into the pocket tightly..they're tapered..wider at the end..that would leave space between the neck and the pocket at the 14-15th fret.

and the truss rod probably wouldn't fix the buzzing..i'd bet that the neck pocket isn't the right depth for this neck.

you really are going to be better off getting the proper neck and saving this one for a future project.

Well, wes, you were the first to respond and we ALL know how fake or double ID posters love to answer their own questions so a little applied logic would bring me to the conclusion that, YOU ARE A FRAUD!! WHO are you really and what have you done with wes??!! Well, at least answer the first question. :D

if you had room to move the neck forward the required distance then your neck wouldn't fit into the pocket tightly..they're tapered..wider at the end..that would leave space between the neck and the pocket at the 14-15th fret. 

Good point. Thanks, I've learned something.

I'm glad I worded my "suggestion" as a question, not as if I really knew the answer. :D

Brian.

Im going to suggest the first post in this thread was by a FAKE POSTER :D

good call..you may be right.

now that you mention it,it is strange that a guy would rattle off all those measurements and be so specific,yet not know the standard strat scale length

Fake poster? Good god! In a guitar forum?? What next.

I was specific because I measured the neck beforehand, is that so unbelievable?

Im going to suggest the first post in this thread was by a FAKE POSTER :D

good call..you may be right.

now that you mention it,it is strange that a guy would rattle off all those measurements and be so specific,yet not know the standard strat scale length

Fake poster? Good god! In a guitar forum?? What next.

I was specific because I measured the neck beforehand, is that so unbelievable?

Plus he has posted in other guitar forums for help...

I don't think it's fake :D

I won't mention any forum names though B)

Edited by AlGeeEater