Pickup Selection

Right now I'm about to start my new project. I'm using a mahogany back and neck, with a curly maple top, I'm ordering all of my supplies very soon. I'll be using an Indian rosewood fretboard as well. I was wondering what you'd suggest for my pickup selection. I want something that goes well with the guitar, and I'm looking for a vintage classic rock/blues kinda sound on distortion but pickups that also play nice cleanly. I'm not looking to spend a LOT of money, but I'll pay what I need (like I will not pay $120 per pickup for PRS pickups...). I was looking at Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 model pickups, but I'm not sure what's out there and the online samples aren't very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If all goes well I'll be posting pictures soon... :D

If you are looking for humbuckers, I know everyone will say this (but it's true). A Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB model for the bridge pickup can produce a really wide range of sounds. I'm not sure about neck pickups but I know a lot of people like the SH-2 Jazz pickup, especially combined with the JB. (That combo is apparently Seymour duncan's actual combination)

I think Slash uses '59s if that helps at all.

All I'm gonna say is that Seymour Duncan makes some really good quality stuff.

I'll second the vote for Duncans. In fact, even the imported "Duncan designed" ones are pretty good; some people say there's an audible difference between those and the USA models they copy, some people say there isn't. It's up to you whether it's worth the savings.

And yeah, the '59s sound like something you'd like. The JB is an overwound pickup, if you want more output at the bridge (I have one in a guitar, and I like it)

Edited by Jester700

if you're on a tight budget take a look at the mighty mite website..a lot of bang for the buck. or look up the site and then call bill lawrence..he'll talk to you personally about what you're looking for soundwise and then wind a pickup for you..seems like i paid about $45 each for the last ones i bought from him (a year and a half ago) and i promise they'll rival most anything on the market.

I'll second the vote for Duncans.  In fact, even the imported "Duncan designed" ones are pretty good; some people say there's an audible difference between those and the USA models they copy, some people say there isn't.  It's up to you whether it's worth the savings.

I ended up with a pair of Duncan Designed Detonator pickups (the made overseas model of the SD Invader) a while back, and I can't really tell much difference between them and a regular SD invader. I'm sure there are differences, but I think they're minor enough that they're hard to notice them. Of course, it would help if I actually liked the Invader. I'm considering replacing them with EMG's and being done with it, and putting the Invaders in my newest project.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Edited by GodBlessTexas

:D Hi

If you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, but estraordinary in both clean and driven modes,go to www,starspickups.com and get a set of Bartolinis. Try an 80 for the bridge and a 70 or 60 for the neck. Wonderful tone, period. I'm not putting down the SD stuff; I use a lot of it, but for the price, if you want clean and beefy, I love those Barts. Good luck with your project and come back here often. Great people.

Peace

Dave

Right now I'm about to start my new project.  I'm using a mahogany back and neck, with a curly maple top, I'm ordering all of my supplies very soon.  I'll be using an Indian rosewood fretboard as well.  I was wondering what you'd suggest for my pickup selection.  I want something that goes well with the guitar, and I'm looking for a vintage classic rock/blues kinda sound on distortion but pickups that also play nice cleanly.  I'm not looking to spend a LOT of money, but I'll pay what I need (like I will not pay $120 per pickup for PRS pickups...).  I was looking at Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 model pickups, but I'm not sure what's out there and the online samples aren't very helpful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If all goes well I'll be posting pictures soon...  :D

I've been searching around for some pickups of your suggestions, what would be some good sites to find these pickups. I'm guessing Duncan Designed pickups can be found at the same sites as the regular duncan pickups? I found some pickups made by smaller websites, but I'm not sure what is trustworthy for what it says in the description. Thanks, you guys are great, the more posts, the better!

if you're on a tight budget take a look at the mighty mite website..a lot of bang for the buck.  or look up the site and then call bill lawrence..he'll talk to you personally about what you're looking for soundwise and then wind a pickup for you..seems like i paid about $45 each for the last ones i bought from him (a year and a half ago) and i promise they'll rival most anything on the market.

And thank you unclej, this is very helpful, their site is very informative and this actually may be my choice

You can't buy the duncan designed pickups new,you have to try and find some used ones that somebody swapped out of their guitar. Also, if you're going for a classic rock sorta bluesy sound I'll suggest the 59 for the neck and for the bridge, the Jb if you want some power ort the pearly gates for a more vintage sound.

Bill Lawrence pups are the shiznit!

You tell him the sound your after and he'll make it for ya (as already stated).

If you buy Bill Lawrence pups be sure to get them directly from him cause there are (1 in particular) rip-off 'Lawrence' pups out there. Stew-Mac even used to sell them (the knock-offs) and I've read enough reviews about both that say the knock-offs are FAR inferior to the real thing.

He doesn't distribute, he only sells direct.

You can't buy the duncan designed pickups new,you have to try and find some used ones that somebody swapped out of their guitar.

Guitar Center sells them for $29 USD plus tax every couple of months. That's how I ended up with my Detonators. The only difference is that instead of having "Duncan Designed" silkscreened on them they say "Duncan Performers." They're still made in Korea and carry the same model names as the Duncan Designed pickups.

I don't know if they sell more than the Detonator, but certainly something to look into. There are also a few of them on ebay now and again.

I've only compared the Invader (SD) to the Detonator (DD/DP), and they sound almost identical to my ears. Then again, you go to enough shows without earplugs and that makes the whole thing suspect I suppose. :D The other versions may not sound similar, and SD points out that some of the pickups do have differences in designs between the brands. And as I stated in another thread, once I realized what I wanted, I didn't like the Invader/Detonator very much. However, looking on the website, SD makes a very limited number of DD/DP designs, and they don't cover anything talked about in this thread.

Edited by GodBlessTexas

SDs are the way to go for the price. my suggestions would be:

Bridge.........................Neck

SH 4 JB.......................SH 1 59

SH 4 JB.......................SH 2 jazz

Pearly Gates................SH 2 jazz

do not put the 59 in the bridge position!!!! (unless you want the sound to be unbearably bright)

Edited by Kith