Jump to content

Need Opinions On This Paint Gun


Recommended Posts

paint gun

I'm looking into buying an economy paint gun. For the last few times I've needed one I've borrowed it(just the gun) from a friend. I don't do tons of finishes a year and i can put out a pretty good finish with a bottom of the line gun. Is this gun acceptable? I noticed it has a 8mm nozzle, but from searching the forum, it looks like 8mm is a pretty good size for nitrocellulose laquer(sp?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check that it can shoot a round spray pattern - I got a nice little gun from Axminster in the UK, specifically for spraying bursts and colours (gravity fed, small cup, nice fine atomisation) and it's useless because it can't be adjusted to a round spray, only a fan :D

I've also seen nicer guns for less, I'd look for a generic jamb gun like a badger or some clone. I know proffesionals will sneer at them (LGM :D) but for a small timer, building 2 or 3 guitars a year, they'll do fine. Mine cost me all of £16 and performs very nicely for delicate bursting work & laying down clear. I should really get another one, cleaning the colours out before clearing is a real PITA...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the risk of incurring sneering, I was picking up some tri-m-ite sandpaper the other day and the automotive paint distributor that I buy from had a Chinese made kit for $99.00. It has three guns just like the three bears. A big one, a medium one and a cute little touch up gun. Also a cleaning kit, three cups, and all the break down tools plus two regulators. It's all gravity feed HVLP. These are not the quality of a Sata and they don't pretent to be. I have used them for four or five projects and they work just fine. If you shoot all the time, buy the good stuff. If you don't and want to get started with something that can do the job check out your auto paint distributor. They are probably marketed under a bunch of names. Most of this stuff is.

Again, these are not $500.00 guns and won't hold up like them. Parts are probably mythical at best. Who cares for $33.00 a gun?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I bought it mainly for bursting, and it cain't burst! It might be useable for flat colour, but I'm used to using a round pattern, so that's what I want. It's got a bit of a small nozzle for shooting clear, since I use a fairly thick finish it struggles to lay it down quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to use airbrushes for my bursts, but after awhile I went back to my Sharpe jamb gun, it has a fine tip and has great dispersion, I haven't used the airbrushes for anything much in the past 2-3 years now. The Sharpe is like having a heavy duty airbrush, I can throttle it way way down to the point where it pretty much IS an airbrush, but then I can also open it up and do other things, and when I'm doing bursts, there are several different attacks and movements that I couldn't do with an airbrush alone...so I find using the Sharpe with the fine tip is actually far more useful than an airbrush...UNLESS I'm doing something that truly calls for a real airbrush, like real fine detail lines or something really artistic...

In another post I said I use my $50.00 Campbell-Hausfeld jamb gun for 70% of everything I do, and it -is- great for laying out really fat and wet clearcoats and toner coats, but the Sharpe is for the other 30% of the time, which is bursting among other things...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...