Led Lit Headstock Inlay

Ok Now Im not sure If I will be doing this at all, But It's still A great idea :D

I was thinking How DEADLY it would be to have A cool inlay lit up by

2 led's

What would Be the best way of doing something like this so that you would never know they where there untill you turend on the neck?

Any cool idea's

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Skull Inlay...red LED eyes.

Run wires down through truss rod channel...you'll have to rout a small channel below the truss rod to do this, then cover the wires with silicone caulk. run wires thru neck into body to a power supply (9 volt battery) in the control cavity.

I've never done it but it seems like this should work.

try it on a beater guitar first if you aren't sure of it.

Matt, i'm sure i've seen someone who put an led behind a MOP inlay (ie: a single shape) and as the pearl is slightly translucent the whole image (i'm sure it was a winged devil ala Black Sabbath) sort of glowed. I'll try to remember where i saw this but the memories fade fast nowadays :D

Jem

Yes, definitely - I have seen people do this but I can't remember who.

Here's a skull that I did a while ago but it's not in the headstock:

image001.jpg

If you end up doing a skull, let me know. I have some tricks for you that may save you some time and frustration.

:D:D

Hear's What Im thinking---an inlayed headstock veneer Kind of a thing over top

of the led's and The wire channels? Is this A good Way of doing things That How I see it working in my head :D

If you end up doing a skull, let me know. I have some tricks for you that may save you some time and frustration.

Hey matt just thought id add to this.. its a suggestion and feel free to point laugh beat n mame for it...

just for extra effect you *could* add a LED/laser sight into the end of the headstock... ive seen SIMS custom shop do it and they look really cool

Just an idea whilst your toying with routing channels for cables

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hey matt just thought id add to this.. its a suggestion and feel free to point laugh beat n mame for it...

just for extra effect you *could* add a LED/laser sight into the end of the headstock... ive seen SIMS custom shop do it and they look really cool

Just an idea whilst your toying with routing channels for cables

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Ok Im woundering How would It work If I did the Inlay so That it goes right thru the veneer, so as to Let the light thru the inlay itself can This work with no wood under the inlay

And Is there any one That has tryed this? :D

Mother of Pearl will allow some light through, especially if you measure very carefully and sand it down thin enough. On the downside, when it's not glowing and lit, it may look duller than normal MOP if you have a dark wood like ebony or rosewood underneath. I discovered this while working on my inlay practice and I almost sanded right through at one point. :D

Greg

Some possibly very obviouse things to remember when doing this type of thing-

(I'm just putting this hear in case you get too busy with details, and forget!) :D

1) You have to use clear CA for the inlay glue- epoxy will filter out too much light, OR use thicker epoxy just around the edges, and leave the bottom cavity open so more light can travel through unfiltered. But then your inlay is un-backed, and more fragile.

2) The CA will want to find any channel it can, so your light wire route has to be sealed before the inlay goes in.

3) Use NON-figured even colored materials if using pearls. Figuring will through off the light even-ness. Of course you may be going for that look.

Good luck.

Craig Lavin

11RadInlay.jpg

Ok this Is the Inlay Im going for now, and me And GregP are Going to be working On this So keep the Info comeing!! :D

What's that clear plastic that "carries" light? I don't mean fiber optic cable, but like when there's a light somewhere, on the side of the plastic but it makes the whole piece glow. Maybe it is in the fiber optic family. Anyway I'm thinking that you could use green tinted clear plastic and light it from the side. Children's toys have this stuff. I just can't remember where to point you for an example. Maybe it's a slim LED up against clear plastic. I don't know. Anyway, another cool thing I just thought of would be to have an elevated logo (or your shape) with the LED's underneath, so they lit up the outline like ground effects on a car.

As for the wires, If you're doing bindind, perhaps under hidden in the binding channel would be easier. Maybe then you could do glowing side dots like Dave. Don't be afraid to use "tape" instead of wire. If you run wire down the truss rod channel, you can use a rounded truss rod with a square bit. People do that all the time anyway, only now you'd have two wires along the bottom in the empty space on either side of the rod. That would probably be better than routing under the rod, especially if you were going to have a thinner neck. Routing channels into the underside of the fretboard is also pretty safe structurally. I would recommend going to "terminals" when you get to the headstock. In other words, don't have the wire running down the neck be the same wire you use to solder your parts to. Instead, have a piece of brass rod or something under the truss rod cover, and solder to that. That way you can change it or repair it easier later. Same goes for the neck end. Run terminals at the butt end and solder to that.

Great idea by the way.

You could also route a larger channel, and simply "backlight" it with white/clear LEDs. Then you could even have four corner screws holding it down, so you could change the plate out for a new design whenever you wanted. Get green tinted plastic, sticker your design on it from the back, then spray it with black satin paint. Remove your sticker, and you have your plate. If the tint is too strong you might have to paint the black from the top. Or go clear and use green LED's but I think you'd be ble to detect a more definite light source. The key for that symbol is to have uniform light.

headstockrough.jpg

Ok Now I've been trying to get That Rad inlay to fit on this head stock

and Im not haveing muck luck :D

so Can anyone think of An inlay that Would Work with the headstock and Flow with the Brtalizer V design!!