Guitar Gets Noiser When I Touch Ground

drewtimfan

I just finsidhed reshielding the guitar. The hum did get quiter. But the buzz is definately still there. And it goes down like always when i touch ground. And the switch knobs and pot knobs are noisy too.

I feel like the biggest idiot, this isn't really that hard, but it is a nightmare to me

So the man of color was a TRS jack? That should only be a problem if it was wired wrong. I use TRS 3-terminal jacks when it is all I have to work with and they pose no problem, at least in my case. Since you have had some soldering issues with this install, I reccomend you do a real thorough visual on all of your connections. A humm when you touch any hot with your finger is a good thing, BTW.

It is now time to ask what kind of amp you are using to test and how many prongs are on the line cord that plugs into the wall. Sounds irrelavent, I know, but it matters.

I have a dr.z and an orange. I tried using both amps. They both have 3 prong ground style plug... I have my electronics plugged into a surge protector that checks for proper ground, so I don't think that is an issue.

I will try plugging it in to my brother's amp at a different outlet.

No, if those are the amps you have been testing with, they are not the source of your remaining noise. One last question, however. Does this noise that remains get better and worst with an adjustment of the tone pot? Probly not but have to ask.

If I adjust the tone pot, it gets better. But I have found that the tone cap cuts the frequency it buzzes at.

I was putting it back together and trying to fit all the wires into the cavity and the tone pot somehow got crushed. So i have to replace that today. I will let you guys know when I assemble it again. The buzz seemed to go away when i started putting it back together.

I'll put all back together and see what happens