A Lil Help?

Hey, I'm building my first guitar and its going to have 1 tone and 1 vol pot, how do I get the potentiometers to "morph" into either a volume or tone control? on the website where I order them it doesn't differentiate between the two, it just says they can serve as either or.

Also, how would I go about making a set neck? I'm going to use a dovetail joint, but what would I use to cut such intricate shapes?

One more thing...

How are inlays put in?

What you need to do is find a schematic or diagram of a suitable wiring scheme for what you want. The components in combination with the appropriate pots will determine which one is volume and which one is tone. Does that make any sense?

As for inlays, be more specific. Are you talking about standard round fretmarkers? Block inlays? Inlays in the headstock? You have to route or drill a cavity for the inlays to fit into, but depending on what type of inlay you want to do, the method will vary.

I am SO glad I get to duck the inlay and pickup wiring questions! A dovetail joint is not the best choice for a first guitar unless the body style absolutely demands it, ie. accoustic or vintage Gibson set. The only way to get tight dove-tails with common tools is to spend a lot of time with a coping saw and some very nice wood files. The dovetail does not have to match a blueprint, a bunch of predefined dimensions or anything. It just has to fit it's mating part. Not all that tough to do but it takes time and patience.

You might want to look at some of the easier dovetail substitutes, like those metal-insert keyed bolt in thingies. I believe LMI sells them.

What you need to do is find a schematic or diagram of a suitable wiring scheme for what you want. The components in combination with the appropriate pots will determine which one is volume and which one is tone. Does that make any sense?

As for inlays, be more specific. Are you talking about standard round fretmarkers? Block inlays? Inlays in the headstock? You have to route or drill a cavity for the inlays to fit into, but depending on what type of inlay you want to do, the method will vary.

yeah that makes sense, I was thinking it was something like that, but my knowledge of electronics is...suitable, I know enough to build simple things, but nothing too advanced (guitar wiring seems somewhere in the middle)

The inlays... I'm just going to go with dots on the fretboard, I wanted to do some really cool designs but I realized, "that pearloid stuff is not cheap".

I am SO glad I get to duck the inlay and pickup wiring questions! A dovetail joint is not the best choice for a first guitar unless the body style absolutely demands it, ie. accoustic  or vintage Gibson set. The only way to get tight dove-tails with common tools is to spend a lot of time with a coping saw and some very nice wood files. The dovetail does not have to match a blueprint, a bunch of predefined dimensions or anything. It just has to fit it's mating part. Not all that tough to do but it takes time and patience.

You might want to look at some of the easier dovetail substitutes, like those metal-insert keyed bolt in thingies. I believe LMI sells them.

Yeah, i'm not sure which one to do, I know a guy who's been giving me advice on how to build one and he said a dovetail joint would be good (he mainly builds acoustics), I want to do it the simplest way that doesn't sacrifice a tight fit

I'd do a bolt on neck, but I want to make a sustain machine

Depending on what pickup(s) you are getting, the seymour duncan website has a lot of good schematics... http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/suppo...chematics.shtml

That's where I was directed when I asked a question like that :D

I looked on there, I could only find the "standard" wirings, I want to do mine differently... 3 humbuckers, and a 3 way switch, and 1 vol and 1 tone control. I have a strat right now and I never use the combination switchings i.e. the neck and middle, mid and bridge combos, so I figured I'd just do a 3 way switch

I think I'll just dissect my strat to see how its done, that will be a huge help

The inlays... I'm just going to go with dots on the fretboard, I wanted to do some really cool designs but I realized, "that pearloid stuff is not cheap".

For dots, figure out what size you are going to use (Stewmac sells them in various sizes) then go out and get a brad point drill bit of the correct size. Brad point drill bits have a tip similar to a forstner bit and leave a flat bottom.