Tapering A Fretboard

Right i am just about ready to taper my fretboard to its near finished size but i cannot think of the best was to measure it all out make sure it is all square, remember this is my first build and i need help?! :D This is my project http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17137

I have a router , 18inch straight edge and 8inch square that i can use, i know this has been covered before but i couldn't find exactly what i was after. Check the specs i will be using before you post.

Cheers Guys.

I found the center line of my fretboard, then marked and rough cut it with a band saw. After that I clamped it to my neck and took it down closer with a small finger plane -- probably to within 1/16" inch. At that point I glued the fretboard on and, once dry, went at it with the finger plane a bit more, then finished shaping the neck with a wood rasp, and finished it off with sandpaper.

May not have been the best way, but it worked for me. It should be noted that the shaping of the neck was mostly done, minus the fine adjustments that I made based on how it felt in my hands.