Sperzel Tuners; Fitting Bushings Into Peghead Hole

Hi!

I've got a set of Sperzel Trim-Lok tuners which I hope to fit into my Mighty Mite ready-made Tele neck. I'm a little worried, perhaps unnecessarily, that the threaded peghead bushings supplied with the tuners don't fit totally snug inside the pre-drilled peghead holes in my neck. The bushings are a tiny, tiny bit smaller in diameter than the holes, and as such they can move a little bit side to side. I was a little surprised at this.. I expect to need to push those babies in. Am I wrong?

The tuners are advertised as requiring the standard 10mm peghead holes. The neck was advertised as having 10mm peghead holes. If I measure them, the holes seem to be bang on 10mm and the peghead bushings if anything seem a tiny bit shy of 10mm.

Does this matter? Am I growing paranoid? I guess with the bushings tightened properly onto the tuner it would provide a fair bit of torsional stability across the headstock, and the tension of the strings would bring the bushings towards the "neck" end of the peghead holes, preventing movement, so all is good no?

Thanks in advance! Just reaching the finishing stage in my first guitar and all has gone well so far, even the body cavities routing, so the last thing I want is to be scuppered by incompatible parts..

Cheers all!

Rich.

wich side do the washers go?

I figured the washers go on the bushing side, rather than the tuner side. Since I'll be tightening the nut of the bushing to screw the tuner in, the washer will provide some protection to the face of the headstock. Right?

Cheers for the replies!

Rich.

wich side do the washers go?

On the top.

About the post not fitting snuggly, your not crazy, they are actually shy of 10 mm. They suggest you use 10mm but on this site link I will put the guy descibes how to make it snug, but your was already drilled so it's a little late. But don't worry if you place the little post well you shouldn't have any problems what so ever. I ended up needing to drill out my headstock to get them to fit, and I did it as the guy described, by using a bit just a little smaller than the post , then using a tapered reamer to file to size, but I couldn't find a tapered reamer at the time so I used a 10 inch bastard cut file that was similar in size and shape to the reamer. It ended up working great and I got a completely snug fit, no movement at all.

Have you drilled the positioning post holes already and put the tuners on the headstock yet? But like I said I wouldn't worry about it, with well placed and snug positioning posts, you shouldn't have any movement. Post and let us know how it's going and if you encounter any more problems and definately check out that website it has good instructions on how to install them, very specific. It worked great for me. Good luck and I hope it works out for you! Jason

Sperzels Installing Specs

Edited by jmrentis

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the replies!

It was going well enough.. drilled and lined up the holes for the little stabilising post thingy and all fitted nice and square. Then whammo, after test fitting the tuners and then removing (foolishly), two of the aforementioned little post thingies stayed in the bleedin headstock. I was able to remove one ok, but the other is well and truly stuck in the hole. Can't believe how badly attached to the tuner these posts are.. admittedly I drilled the holes quite small (2.5mm I think) to hold the posts nice and snug, but still..

And then to add insult to expensive injury I was tightening up the nutted bushing on one of the tuners and the goshdarnit threaded stem of the peghead came clean off. Unrepairable. Now I'm a strong fella, but c'mon I didn't give it that much torque.

Can't believe how poorly made these were.. must have been a dodgy batch or something. And bought on Ebay so no refund.. but I'm going to have to stick with Sperzels because I've already drilled the little holes in my headstock. Hopefully with the new set I've ordered and the partial set I've got left after this luthiering apocalypse I might just get a full set fitted properly.

PS.. I'm going to have to drill out the little hole where the stabilising post got stuck, no other way to get it out. Anyone know if Rustins wood filler can be redrilled and will it be strong enough? Because if I have to buy a new neck aswell I'm going to commit seppuku..

Cheers y'all!

Rich.

Ouch! Thats terrible, I think there was one other person that I've heard of that had that happen with the little posts, maybe when you do the next ones drill the hole a pinch bigger, it's hard because you don't want to have be loose either. Your right though it sounds like it was a bad set, I have not heard of so many problems with a set before. Maybe try calling sperzel and explaining what happened, even though you bought it from someone else, they might help you out because the set was so poor. It might be worth a try instead of having to buy a whole other set. If so you would probably have to send in the set you have.

I don't know about the rustins, it's a small area to use a dowel, but that still might work, just be careful not to drill through the headstock while doing it, just deep enough to remove the post, maybe someone will have a better idea for removing the post. Well good luck and let us know your progress with whats going on! I hope it works out for you, it sounds totally fixable, but will be a little work. Later! Jason