Nut Slotting Files..?

buy yourself one of those feeler guage sets. that have like, 50 different thicknesses. Take one (I'd suggest slightly smaller than the string guage for that slot) and put it in a vise. take a rough file and grind the edge of it until it's rough. there ya go, unlimited nut files for about $4usd.

i bought thier nut slotting saws instead, a tip i read somewhere,wich i dont think will work for every type of material but you can glue a piece of guitar string on a popsicle stick on the edge length wise, and use that as a file, then it is excactly the righ width for the strings you plan to use. but depending on the material you are using it might not work as well.

I have a .010" wide saw blade, and a .030" wide one. I cut the first 3 slots with the .010" and the last 3 with the .030", then I take a 6" piece of guitar string, put it in my inlay saw, and use that to get the right width and a perfect seat at the bottom for the string.

Total cost, about $25 for any size nut slots you need :D

buy yourself one of those feeler guage sets. that have like, 50 different thicknesses. Take one (I'd suggest slightly smaller than the string guage for that slot) and put it in a vise. take a rough file and grind the edge of it until it's rough. there ya go, unlimited nut files for about $4usd.

The only problem with this (and not everone see's it as a problem) is that it leaves a square bottom in the nut slot, I prefer a nice rounded seat for the string to sit in properly.

what I like about the guitar string idea is, you can guage the proper depth because you are using an actual string, the bottom is going to be a perfect seat since you are cutting with the string, and the supply is endless and free (everytime you change strings you end up with an offcut right?)

I just use a Zona razor saw, you can get different sized blades, the small fine tooth is about .010" and the largest one I've found is .030". All you need is a groove narrower than the string you are going to use. Then the guitar string in your inlay saw will open it to the correct width.

I just bought a set of Nicholson Hobby files... they work pretty good.. but I think I'm gonna do like Dan Erlwine said and just buy 3 good ones from StewMac .. like the 1st string file.. and use it on the 2nd string by angling it some both ways.. and making the slot bigger.. etc. etc.. .. so basically buy 3 files for the 1st string, 3rd string and 5th string and use them to make the next size slot with them also... maybe that will save a bit of money.. and if that don't work.. buy the other 3 later.. lol..

Purists will say Bone is the best, personally I like the graphite best simply for tuning stability. There is a new material being made by Graphtech called Tusq. Basically it's a synthetic ivory, but with the lubricating quality of graphite. I like the graphite also because it doesnt' smell horrible like bone does, that is my biggest complaint with bone is the smell.

i like corian, i only have it in white, but you can get it in any color you want, plus its close to the same density as bone but it doesnt smell like bone at all.

the color thing is cool cause then you could match the body for a little more "custom"look. it easy to work with also