Are You Afraid?

Kevan

As a ProjectGuitar.com Forum member, are you afraid to speak up on the forum for fear of being suspended or banned from the site?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't give a rodent's behind. When I log on here I'm strictly thinking about guitars and would rather confine my input to the subject of guitars. I sure got a chuckle when the board was hijacked for a little while. :D Hey, life is relatively short and each moment should be enjoyed. I need all the entertainment I can get!

I think it's logical to know that you will get booted if you take it too far, but in no way do I feel that it equals fear. I can't say the same for everyone though. I feel like the mods/admin do a good job of keeping this place clean. I wouldn't be here otherwise, there are many guitar building site but I feel this is the cleanest and safest place to voice ones opinions and receive help and opinions on work that you are doing. There are rules though but they are not hard to abide by in my opinion. Without these rules I feel this place would be a mess and informative information would be few and far between all the flaming and pissing contests. So personally I applaud the mods/admin for their great work on this site and hope nothing changes because a few people would like to be able to rip on others with more freedom, that would not be of any help to someone that would like to start building guitars and has questions about it. And that is what this site is all about, helping others and getting help when you need it! So thanks to all the mods/admin for doing what you do and also thanks to all the great members that help new comers learn the skills of the trade, you guys are all a tremendous help, thanks! Jason

I speak my mind. Whether or not it's guitar related it doesn't matter. I know it's not always the best thing(and I don't always think before I post, im workin' on it!) but atleast I speak up :D

Please don't ban me :D

Everyone should have a say in the outcome of the forum. We are members for some reason. That reason is we love to learn. We love to learn about guitar building.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Seriously, do you know how hard it is to get banned around here? Jeff Litchfield spent months apparently trying to get banned by deliberately trashing the rules and then arguing with the admins about it, and Kevan made him a moderator! I'm not sure there have been more than 3 people ever banned from this forum before this little chain of incidents. As for being suspended, Kevan's even given himself a time out when he realized he was out of line. I'm tired of this pattern of anybody who doesn't get his way around here screaming that The Man is keepin' him down! What absolute crap! The mods do try to keep bullying to a minimum, but if you show up talkin' trash, you have to expect to be called on it, and you don't have the right to be protected from the consequences of your voluntary actions!

We're all supposed to act at least marginally adult around here, and there are ways to debate any issue without letting it get personal. If you choose to do otherwise, simply because you're not winning the argument, you don't belong here, and you will not be missed (by me, at any rate - I can't speak for anyone else!). :D

Yeah, when you make boundaries, be prepared for people to test those boundaries, and expect to hold them firm against repeated assaults.

I'm tired of this pattern of anybody who doesn't get his way around here screaming that The Man is keepin' him down!

Being from the '70's myself, I find that little comment from the 'Shaft/Superfly' era incredibly funny. :D:DB)

Did I miss something?  Where on earth does it say "are you afraid of getting booted from this site" 

It just says "are you afraid"

read the topic description...does this mean some of you do not understand the poll?it's not just a generic "are you ever afraid in your life?" poll...

it says "are you afraid to post for fear of being suspended or banned?"

No way, the mods here are good.

Wes freaks me out a bit though.... :D

Seriously though, managing a public forum on the internet is a messy ordeal and there is no two ways about it. All things considered PG is moderated quite well - I certainly don't have any problems with how things are done here.

- Dan

guys doing a poll wont help much as if they are afraid to say anything then they wont say that they are!!! a few might and not post but i would think that more just wouldnt say anything at all. oh and im not its only a forum!

T

It really is Kevan that posted this and the reason is as Drak pointed out. It seems to me there is a sudden rift here based with maturity on one side and I'm not quite sure what on the other. It will pass and to those that keep posting......don't worry, I've been called much worse names than what has been said here and I'm old enough, mature enough and have enough faith to let it go.

Life is short, why spend it hating people??

Read my sig and maybe you'll get a little insight on the "anti's" that have been here lately and maybe they'll get a little insight on themselves also.

Edited by bluespresence

I don't think its a fear of getting banned rather than a fear of getting derided, put down, slammed, flamed etc. by other members. If everyone is voting honestly, then I would say that this board has some serious issues to iron out. 17% of those who voted in the poll are terrified to post messages on this board. I consider that to be quite significant. A lot of people on this message board may know their guitars and have top notch skills at building them. But I think their social skills need a little work.

I think some people take this internet forum stuff far too seriously to be quite honest with you, everyone has an on/off button, and a cursor that will take them anywhere on the internet they choose to go.

And if you think this forum is moderated harshly, I could name a few sites I hang out on that make this look like milk and biscuits kindergarten (and I am not one of the 'regulars' either, I have been assaulted En Masse by those steenkin' Internet Nazi's ( :D ) more than once because my beliefs are not the same as theirs, but they're still good sites, chock-full of fantastic information and smart people who's help I need and admire, and I CHOSE to go there, even if they are crazed maniacs ( :D ), and I can take the abuse with a sense of humor, something -sadly- lacking around here.

So I say trade in your bottle of warm milk and sensitivity issues for a sense of humor and some good times.

And I have ALSO always said that if anyone -ever- needs information I have, all they have to do is ask, and I will gladly (and have done so numerous times) help anyone out. That is what this place is supposed to be about. Anyone who has ever PM'ed with me will tell you that.

And I think (again, this is just my opinion) that this whole thing about people being offended is a bunch of nonsense created by a group of whiners who want to be spoon-fed and cuddled and I say if you want to be cuddled, go find your mommy.

I think this is a nice and pleasant site, but it does not offer warm milk (or diaper) ...dispensers.

Also, the philosophy exists that if someone says something enough times, the general population will, at some point, actually begin to believe it, whether it's true or not, so for every poster who cries bully around here, I will retort every time with 'overly-sensitive whiner', just to keep the balance of information somehow balanced, because I do NOT believe this site is mean or harsh at all.

Well...OCCASIONALLY it can get a bit much, but it never gets to the point where I'm freaked out over it, and it's not out of control, it's 'ocassionally'.

Debate anyone? (I love debates) B)

OTOH, with a membership of over 4000 people, the fact that only 8 people are "terrified" enough to bother voting in an anonymous poll tends to make me believe that this attitude isn't statistically significant. Malcontents always make a lot more noise than satisfied participants, making it appear that problems are much bigger than they truly are. I do agree about the social skills, though! :D