Cos newbies won't do that. Then all the "regulars" will start bitching at them and everyone will start attacking each other again. Where as, if all control is removed from the newbies by an automated script, no one can bitch about anything.

Of course, they'll probably find a way :D

Edited by feylya
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imageshack automatically makes thumbnail links for you. I use it religiously on every forum I frequent.

http://www.imageshack.us/

It gives you two different sites per picture (to spread bandwidth, one for hotlinking the other for linking to), as well as thumbnails.

Typically, when it comes to thumbnails, I'll post the same amount as would take up the space of a 640x480 pic, or MAX of six thumbnails. People can still see the general gist of what I'm trying to get across, and they can get a good look at something.

Hey, Photobucket has this feature too --in fact this thumbnail here is supposedly especially for message boards---

th_melodymakermagic65.jpg

Hmmm...I'm willing to bet all image hosters have this feature --and it'd be a simple matter to change the rules to read something like "only multiple clickable thumbnail images allowed " ....

(Mods, I'll delete the image if you like, just testing the feature)

I don't see a thumbnail option in Photobucket... are you an upgraded customer rather than a free user, perchance?

I'm mostly with thegarehanman-- newbies who don't read the rules are already effing it up, but some newbies (like tgm himself!) are savvy enough to not piss off the users with a stream of huge pics. Newbies are only newbies for a little while. Either they learn to do it right or they leave. Either way, I don't believe it's more of a workload generated for the mods than they already have.

Also, Feylya's suggestion works out perfectly-- a thumbnail would HAVE to be less than, say 10K, and if it's not it just gets turned automatically into a URL link. Ideal!

Greg

The only problem with the file size idea is it would have to be done server side meaning it would have to read the image from wherever it was hosted (PhotoBucket for instance), get the file size (even height by width would give an approximate size). Then it would edit the users post before it's actually posted. I think it's possibly but I'll have to install IPB on my own server first to have a tweak with it.

th_DSC01281.jpg

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlGeeEater/DSC01281.jpg][img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlGeeEater/th_DSC01281.jpg][/url]

Now, AlGeeEater is far from a newbie yet he can't even link to thumbnails. What hope would an actual newbie have?

Edited by feylya
I don't see a thumbnail option in Photobucket... are you an upgraded customer rather than a free user, perchance?

Me? Upgrade? Ha, fat chance! (Well, I did donate to PGF, so I'm not so bad).

Did you find the option --you have to select the photo/s you want to thumbnail, then click the button for 'generate html and img codes' at the bottom of the page...easy!

I'm going to make a regular practice of posting only thumbnails from now on.

i don't know about photobucket, but I surely know Imageshack.us has this feature with a simple copy/paste

[url=http://img332.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dragon4fv.gif][img=http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/3135/dragon4fv.th.gif][/url]

Thats in the "Thumbnail for forums (1)" thingie.

dragon4fv.th.gif

(this is some kinda custom graphics i wanted to make on my guitar)

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Hey no worries! And if you ever get the chance I would really like you to introduce me to Banjo, I hear he can really rip! Maybe you can just get me his autograph if his flippers aren't too tired. Thanks !

Ah there it is. I had seen that button before, but for some reason I just thought it would produce a window with the text for the existing 3 link types. D'oh.

Since that's at least 3 picture hosts with automatic thumbnailing, I don't know why it would be such a big deal to not allow users to post a few more pics per post if they're just thumbnails.

Greg

Since that's at least 3 picture hosts with automatic thumbnailing, I don't know why it would be such a big deal to not allow users to post a few more pics per post if they're just thumbnails.

Probably gonna get booo'd for this but would it be total violation to stack three rows of three images that are 266x200 or 4x4 at 200x150 thumbs? It still works out as 800x600 pixels of real estate?

Not long ago Yahoo News went from a thumb image linked with a textbody snippit to a textbody snippit and you have to rollover the text title to see the linked image as a popup layer. So if you accidentally move your mouse before the image is downloaded after putting it on the text title purposely..oh well start over. :D I don’t go to Yahoo News anymore because it simply made the experience annoying.

Honestly the links to images bugs me because so often it leads to things I really don't want to see. To allow thumbs in place of links would make me very happy!

It still works out as 800x600 pixels of real estate?

Well, since you're only allowed 640x480 now... :D

Posters could always make a single picture from their thumbnails, and use HTML to make it an image map - of course, that's a lot of trouble, but it would solve the problem of having to download pictures that you don't want to look at. Then again, adding a descriptive caption to each link would be almost as effective, and a lot less trouble for the poster. :D

Edited by lovekraft