Afraid Of Getting Banned? No.

I think that was well put and explained it for the people that can't grasp the subject. I know personally I would be quite upset if this place went downhill or was closed due to a few guys with mental issues causing problems. This place is great at least for me, I can't even begin to tell you how much info and ideas I have pulled from this site. All my ideas I run by the members and mods and I'm given great advise! There is a lot I don't know about building guitars, but whenever I run into something I don't know, I am given the advice and opinions of people with great experience and knowledge. Some of which I hold in very high regard for their skills in luthiery.

Getting advice like this is almost impossible in day to day life, it's not like you can walk into most custom shops and say, "Hey can you tell me how to do this, can you show me?", or " this is what I want to do, will there be any problems with that?" Most won't have the time to give you the advice that you can get here! And who's to say if there are even any people that build guitars that live near you, there might be a guitar center or something but you won't find any answers there unless some of them happen to build.

This is a great community of builders, new and professional alike. I hope we can continue with Project Guitars, and not cause problems and question why you can't do this or why you can't do that, the rules are set in place to keep this place what it is, without them it just wouldn't be any good, it would be more like most other internet sites, which lack organization and information, usually just filled with foul language, flamming and pissing contests. So please lets all get back on subject, together as a site. We have been more worried about everything else other than guitars recently myself included and I would like it to be how it was even just a few weeks ago.

Like bluespresence said we all get along, but when someone comes and stirs us up, it takes a while to let it go, but it's not worth it. We are all wasting hours that could have been used for our projects, building or learning. Well anyways thats just how I feel, an opinion. You guys are all great, and I hope it stays that way, this place is one in a million to me and I would hate to lose it! Thank you to everyone for all the help you have given me, it has been a tremendous help in saving me time and money trying this without knowing what to expect or how to go about it. I hope to get to know more of you on a personal basis. Well I'll talk to you guys later! Have a good one! Jason

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I dunno. There's something about this forum lately that really ****** me off but I can't put my finger on it. There's a huge amount of information available on this forum but getting to it annoys me. I really can't explain.

But another thing. Mod and admin edits, like with pictures in threads. Instead of a mod or admin straight away editting the post, warn the poster on thread and maybe by pm so they'll do it themselves. Easier for people to learn that way, even if it does inconvience people for a minute or two while the pictures load.

I'm surprised that you'd start a topic like this since you've been an active member on the USACG Forum, javacody.

IMO, the mod over there is WAAAYYYYYY harsher and moderates based on how he feels (which seems to be bitterness) more than enforcing rules. That forum seems to be VERY clickish to me and not noobie friendly at all.

I think this forum is moderated very well.

It's a thankless job for people that put up with disrespect and whining about them and the rules. Same with the regular, experienced builders.

Why not talk as if the person is standing in front of you and use respect for them and the place you are?

That's good advice.

That's how I try to act on-line but admittedly, I'm a smart-ass alot of the time even in person and yet the mods have always been respectful to me even though I probably needed a STFU after drinkin a couple beers and posting dumb stuff.

The only problems I see are the ones created by some members around here but we all have bad days. Just let it go and move on.

Appreciate the forum for what it is, a great resource for learning about guitars... you a-holes :D

But another thing. Mod and admin edits, like with pictures in threads. Instead of a mod or admin straight away editting the post, warn the poster on thread and maybe by pm so they'll do it themselves. Easier for people to learn that way, even if it does inconvience people for a minute or two while the pictures load.

sure,you say that..but you don't have to deal with the arguments via p.m. that generates.

i have a simple procedure that cuts into my time as little as possible...i fix it and move on...if the same guy does it alot...then i leave a warning in the edited post...

if that does not work i may p.m.,but that depends on the attitude of the offending poster.i don't have time to give up to arguing via p.m. anymore...

i learn from experience which way works with the least problems...you just make suggestions based on what you think will work..

nothing wrong with that...but trust that my experience here has given me the knowledge i need to handle it my way..and it doesn't bother me if it upsets the offending poster...if they read and followed the rules,more often than not it all works out

Oh believe me, I know what it's like dealing with people whinging through pm. Depending on what rule was broken, I'll either edit the post and reply telling the poster what they did wrong and providing them with a link to the rules.

Fair enough, you have your way of dealing with things but I'm just giving you my opinion on things based on how I interpret them. That's what's needed around here, a feedback forum :D

Oh believe me, I know what it's like dealing with people whinging through pm. Depending on what rule was broken, I'll either edit the post and reply telling the poster what they did wrong and providing them with a link to the rules.

Fair enough, you have your way of dealing with things but I'm just giving you my opinion on things based on how I interpret them. That's what's needed around here, a feedback forum :D

i think after a few thousand moderating posts,you may become more harsh than you think you will...

i call it "cutting through the b.s."

or "getting straight to the point"

Well, I'm on a couple hundred moderated posts and I haven't been moderating that forum for long. I can understand need to just get it done.

What do you think about my suggestion earlier to make the tutorial section mod only for new Threads? If someone wants to make a new tutorial, they make it in the relevant sections (In Progress, Electronics, etc). If it's decent, move it to the Tutorial section. It would stop all the non tutorial posts in there. There should be more than enough mods about to make it work.

What do you think about my suggestion earlier to make the tutorial section mod only for new Threads? If someone wants to make a new tutorial, they make it in the relevant sections (In Progress, Electronics, etc). If it's decent, move it to the Tutorial section. It would stop all the non tutorial posts in there. There should be more than enough mods about to make it work.

only one problem...the point of that section is so that guys can post all of the pics they need to explain the procedure....

other than that i think it is a good suggestion...but i think a better one is for us mods to move out the posts that don't belong.

Well, personally I think the problem is, in a big part, the newbies who post things that have been asked the day before. I mean, I was a n00b, and still am. I knew nothing about guitars and even less about woodworking...

I have said a few(loll a few....) stupid things too, but never got flamed because I have some basic knowledge on how a forum works...

I have a good solution to propose! Make everyone who registers whatch this video: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

cerealk is from Oz, but where the hell is he???

Perry you have mentioned this before. The guy is a founder member from back when this guitar site was formed. So please give him a break. he is a good guy and I believe he is on here more than you know. Which again was said last time. Now if you dont see him and he still does his job it dosent mean he aint a part of this site or contributing to it ok. Cool. By the way your latest creation is flipping fantastic! Congrats! Oh and bythe way he aint from oz he is a pom like me! Problem?

Java, I think Van Kirk made a pretty interesting point...you were describing Nocaster as much as anyone on PG. BTW, the "clique" over there is pretty much the customers, that forum is really more for customers than for Joe Sixpack.

To be honest, I find the overall "tone" on PG to be little different from the cross section of people you bump into in real life, particularly once you factor in the age of the posters. Different people just put different amounts of polish on their speech (posts) and some people will grate on you more than others.

I too have learned an astonishing amount from the PG denizens, from both the polished and the unpolished. There are more than a few lutherie forums, and this one is unique. To me, the project I'm working on at any given moment, and the info I need for it, is way more important than the tonal landscape on the forum. I worry much more about my projects than I do about the PG sociology.

OK, I was away for awhile and there have been a lot of good posts.

I'm surprised that you'd start a topic like this since you've been an active member on the USACG Forum, javacody.

IMO, the mod over there is WAAAYYYYYY harsher and moderates based on how he feels (which seems to be bitterness) more than enforcing rules. That forum seems to be VERY clickish to me and not noobie friendly at all.

I think this forum is moderated very well.

It's a thankless job for people that put up with disrespect and whining about them and the rules. Same with the regular, experienced builders.

Well, Nocaster may seem harsh at times, but he does generally accept a challenge and will give people a lot of leeway to argue their points. I shouldn't really comment on these things, but Nocaster is very fair. For some reason, forums can bring out the rotten in people very quickly. There are some real nuts who just seem to be looking for trouble. I don't have any problem with them getting dealt with swiftly. The problem is that they tend to ruin it for everyone else. I do have unrestricted access there and have seen some of the deleted posts, and there are some nuts out there posting who should probably be institutionalized.

I appreciate the moderators work, and after reading this discussion, I've changed my mind somewhat. They've been very fair and I appreciate the discussion. I think that the moderators tend to get portrayed a little harshly at times. The bee in my bonnet is my posts getting deleted and some of the harsh responses (not from the mods mind you) to new folks. I just think there has to be a better way. Maybe we could pin some answers to the really annoying questions, and when these people post their question, don't reply with anything other than "Welcome to the forum" and "read this thread" and give them a link to the post. Also, my posts that have gotten deleted have never been bad enough to warrant deletion in my opinion, not nearly as bad as some folks' (I'm not naming names) who seem to post in very negative cycles and just get real mean and nasty. If I were one of these guys, I would be given more leeway to be abusive, and that just ain't right, in my opinion. There is definite favoritism and I simply disagree with it.

I hope we can continue with Project Guitars, and not cause problems and question why you can't do this or why you can't do that

Umm, you might want to look around and see how the country you live in was founded. It was founded by openly questioning things that people disagreed with. If George Washington and Ben Franklin had your attitude, who knows where we'd be? And if people don't start taking an interest in how this country is run and start questioning their leaders and trying to make a difference, then this country is going to continue to go downhill.

There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, as long as you do it respectfully, and that is all I have done here. Why should I be put down for this? How can any of you condemn me, or anyone else for wanting to discuss something that I see as a problem? Is that logical at all? One moderator even went so far as to call people such as myself "whiners" (I do take offense to the label "whiner", however, I wear the term "forum junkie" as a badge of honor, this is one of at least 6 forums I visit on a fairly regular basis, and the only one I've donated any money to). Really, is that an attitude that is healthy and conducive to open discussion? If open discussion is not allowed, then please, clearly state so in the rules of this forum.

Also, for the record, I've never gotten a PM from a moderator. My posts have just disappeared. I'm pretty sure I know which moderator did it, but I'm not sure why they were deleted?