How Does No Supplier Have This Fretbaord?

I just slotted the fretboard for the guitar I'm building and what do you know, one of the slots is just slightly angled. There's no way I can use this fretboard with a clean conscience now. I need to buy a new fretboard so I figure I might as well save myself the trouble of slotting another one by buying a preslotted one. Here's the problem: I can't find a preslotted fretboard with a 24 3/4" scale, no radius, and 24 slots anywhere. StewMac only sells one that's preradiused. I looked through all of the suppliers web sites on the PG home page, but no one has it. Can somebody suggest where I am to go for this fret board?

This is very urgent!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All is not lost. I don't see why you can't repair the fb and then recut that slot. Sand the surface of the fretboard until you have enough dust collected. Pack superglue and dust in until the slot is filled up a little higher than the surface (proud). Sand it back down to surface level and then cut the slot properly. If the material is a dark wood like rosewood or ebony you would only notice it upon close inspection. Also, the fret will cover up much of the repair.

Edited by Southpa

I thought about that, but this guitar has cost me $1700. I'd much rather just have a perfect fret board even if it costs a little bit more. If I cannot find what I need. I think I may switch to a 25" scale and use 23 frets rather than 24(stewmac carries teh 25" without a radius). I really don't want to use this fretboard. I'm sure you understand considering the circumstances.

Man, that blows...we're all looking forward to seeing this thing too.

How about this: take a deep breath, take a couple days off, then see if you're not up to trying again...

I mean, with all the effort and cash you've put into this, you don't want someone else's fretboard on there, do you? It's never going to feel the same unless you do it yourself.

In the meantime, consider Southpa's advice --you should at least try to fix it while you're waiting for the new wood to come. Maybe it'll turn out great. Maybe you'll still want to make a new one (in which case, you can send that one to me, since I'm not set up to make one myself :D )

Anyway, if you switch to a different scale --you're going to screw up the bridge and pickup placements, right? They're going to have to change. So you're going to end up with a guitar you don't want...

Oh yeah, and you know, solving problems is a BIG part of the creative process.

Part of this is sleep deprevation. I've been up pretty late lately working on this guitar. Between my summer job and helping my Dad get his new business off the ground, I haven't had much time in the day to myself. I will attempt the repair, but if it doesn't look amazing...I will at the very least need a new blank. What's the point in spending all of this time if it's not all it can be? No point at all. I'll keep you updated on this. And as far as changing the scale by 1/4". All that would have to change would be the bridge placement; I haven't even drilled for that yet so it wouldn't matter. The pickups would be fine.

Have you talked to fryovanni(Rich) yet. He has all different sized fingerboards and he does slotting for a small fee. He has all kinds of different boards and I'm sure he could do it for you, I'm having him do me one in a week or two on cocobolo. So if you haven't asked him, I would give it a try, he has a couple older posts of his own work that he slotted, it was perfect, and I trust his work a 100%. The wood I've gotten so far has been primo and the effort he has put into his service is amazing, he answered a ton of questions and showed me everything I wanted to see, definately worth it to check him out, just pm. Good luck with your project and I hope you figure it out! Later, Jason

LMII

thankyou.

I agree with the above - while I don't see 24.75" scale on their list of fret slotting scales they've got 24.625" which is closer; I know they'll do 24 frets, I've had them do it on three fingerboards in the recent past, and they very well may be able to nail the exact scale you need; they've always been real good about trying their best to answer any wierd request, be it non-standard sized wood or requests for specific figure or whatever. I'd call them, they're real easy to deal with on the phone. The wood I've gotten from them is some of the prettiest I've seen.

How far off is that angled slot? Might the reworking be covered by the fret's crown? Inlay?

Working on sleep deprivation is a bummer though. I've been there.

LMII

thankyou.

I agree with the above - while I don't see 24.75" scale on their list of fret slotting scales they've got 24.625" which is closer; I know they'll do 24 frets, I've had them do it on three fingerboards in the recent past, and they very well may be able to nail the exact scale you need; they've always been real good about trying their best to answer any wierd request, be it non-standard sized wood or requests for specific figure or whatever. I'd call them, they're real easy to deal with on the phone. The wood I've gotten from them is some of the prettiest I've seen.

How far off is that angled slot? Might the reworking be covered by the fret's crown? Inlay?

Working on sleep deprivation is a bummer though. I've been there.

Call them up -I too had a very good experience with them. Just because it's not listed doesn't mean they can't do it. They've done a 26 fret board for me. Give it a shot!

I just called LMII and they said they could give me an unradiussed 24 fret slot fret board, but it'd have to be a 24.625 scale, not a 24.75.

That's 1/8" shorter. You see going, 1/4" longer w/ the PRS scale is acceptable, but going shorter could be a problem. I'll need to get out a ruler check it out. I'm really ok with a minor changer to the scale lenght. If the bridge can afford to move forward 1/8" that'd actually be better in the long run. The way I have it set up, the 24th fret on a 24.75 scale falls pretty close to the end of the fretboard; like close enough to make you wonder if you're going to break the board.

This is info from Stew Macs site about Gibsons 24-3/4" advertised scale.

Gibson

The Gibson 24-3/4" scale is also very common, but it is also the most confusing of all scale lengths — this is because it rarely ever measures out to be 24-3/4 inches! This scale has gradually changed over the past fifty or so years due to changes in production equipment.

Being shorter than the Fender 25-1/2" scale, the Gibson 24-3/4" scale has a lower tension/easier to play feel, and a warmer tone.

They also have a diagram/time line showing actual scale length used and when.

I just copied the text so no diagram. It goes like this.

24-3/4" thru 1954

24-9/16" thru 1959

24-5/8" thru 1969

and a mix of 24-9/16(Kalamazoo, Nashville) and 24-5/8(Montana) to present.

Here is the link.Free Info

I have no idea why they have changed, or why they keep calling it 24-3/4". Acording to this info they did use a true 24-3/4" thru 1954. I am just posting what I read so I can't be sure Stew Mac is correct. So for what it is worth.

Peace, Rich

you could have slotted another fretboard by now, even if you had to resaw a fresh blank and hand saw each fret with a mitter box. i'm assuming you have some left over fingerboard stock unless you baught ONE blank which is kinda un-economical

Edited by krazyderek

Ok, this thread has just become an attack on my intelligence. First, I never said I was using a 24.75 compensated scale. Some of you where too busy pontificating to notice I never even mentioned Gibson. I said I was using a 24.75 scale; that's what I decided on in the plans, that is what I'm using. LMII does not have a 24.75" scale fretboard and when I called they were unwilling to make one for me. I do not have a plethora of fingerboards at my disposal because I'm only a hobbyist. I buy what I need, when I need it. College students have finite budgets. Many thanks to Fryovanni for all of his help though.

Sorry we couldn't help you out. A true 24 3/4" scale length is an oddball size. They make more money by manufacturing what sells rather than one-offs. Too much trouble to reset the scale measurements on the cutting machine or even make a template of that size. And if you could convince them to do it for you, it wouldn't be worth the cost to either party.

So either buy another blank and do it right or repair the original. :D

Edited by Southpa

I don't think it was meant as an attack. I think it was just trying to be helpful. It is the first question that comes to mind when someone says 24-3/4" scale. Guys like Perry and Wes are really sharp and help others all the time, they don't try to insult they keep things real and cut to the chase. As for the extra material for cutting up more boards (??? you got me ???) :D .

Peace, Rich

You'll have to forgive me. I wasn't taking it as an outright attack guys(regardless of what I may have said). I'm no loose canon. I just got figuratively walked on a lot when I was younger so I can get rather defensive sometimes. I do a good job of standing my ground when I need to though. I guess it doesn't help too much that I had to attend the funerals of 3 close friends this week.

Let's get back to building guitars. Shall we?

Edited by thegarehanman

my understanding is that the 24.625 scale IS the 24.75 scale..

even if you put the high E saddle of the bridge 24.75 from the nut on a 24.625 scale...it will intonate...that's how i built my seven string with the lmii board

the story as i have heard it is that intonation compensates for the stretch of the string when compensating,and that gibson did it that way to compensate a little more naturally.

use the fretboard if you wish...it will be MORE than okay to do so

in the www.craft-supplies.com brouchure,it says that one of ther luthiers makes hand made guitar and bas parts,its his speciality,so you could try him,tho you said you needed it urgent,i'm not shure how long he'll take

I'm still a bit confused about this 24.75" scale actually needing a 24.625" scale fingerboard.

If you have the shorter board, do you put the TOM at 24.75" or 24.625" (plus another 1/8" at the low E end) from the nut?

Whatever the reasons are for having this compensated scale, why don't they apply to any other scale? Or do they apply, but it's easier to compensate for the intonation with non-TOM bridges, so nobody notices?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

All standard (not getting into fanned-fret designs or other oddball stuff) scale lengths need compensation. There is enough range to most Fender type bridge styles that it doesn't require quite as precise a placement as a TOM, but it is still there.

A compensated 24.75 scale is actually a 24.625 scale. The true 24.75 scale also needs compensation. Technically, you could call a true 24.75 scale a 24.811 compensated scale. Either way, the post on the low E side has to move back 1/8".

It's really not confusing at all. The thing that's confusing people is some people mean compensated but they don't say it.

Edited by thegarehanman