Mixer To Soundcard

ultraman

That's exactly what I do. I have an "audio recording" soundcard, which means that I can just send the RCA outputs from the "tape out" (they still use the word "tape" but they should have just used "aux" because it's the same thing) of the mixer to the RCA inputs of my soundcard.

If yours is on-board or more like a SoundBlaster type thing, you just need to make sure both ends terminate properly, either with a cable made for the job, or by using adapters. One end should be an RCA pair, and the other end should be a 1/8" stereo plug. Since the 802 produces a "line-level" output, you will plug it into the "line in" instead of the "mic in" of your soundcard. That mixer's pre-amps are not absolutely amazing; however, they'll be better than your soundcard's pre. Plus, the mixer can supply phantom power to condenser mics.

Greg

I never thought of using the sends. That might work, too. They seem very limited on this mixer, though, almost like an afterthought. There's a single 1/4" send out, and then you set the level of send for each individual channel, but they all go to the same send.

As long as that 1/4" out is stereo, it should work! I use the tape out because I can then just use a standard RCA cable. As a hobbyist, I've never noticed a degradation in sound quality, as this mixer's "tape out" is actually using the same bus as the "Main Out". They're the same out, but with different connectors. Dunno why they label it the way they do.

Greg