About Time!

Hi, well I know that this question depend of many things but,

how much time or weeks has take to build a guitar aprox (like strato, jem, etc).

I´m new in this area so I want to know how many days or weeks takes to build a guitar. Sincerly I want to know how many guitars could a build in a month to sell.

Tell me your examples... about how much time took your works.

Thanx,

Demian.

how much time or weeks has take to build a guitar aprox (like strato, jem, etc).

I´m new in this area so I want to know how many days or weeks takes to build a guitar. Sincerly I want to know how many guitars could a build in a month to sell.

Tell me your examples... about how much time took your works.

Thanx,

Demian.

Forget about the selling them if you don't know a thing yet how to build a guitar. My advice. There's lots to learn.

Remembers me of the one guy who wanted to enter the custom guitar business with assembled Saga Kits...

How many in a month? And you haven't built one? hahaha

sorry, couldn't help it.

I'm a very picky, detailed person and my guitars reflect that. I work on them in my spare time. I'd say the actual building takes between 3 and 6 months for me(less if I'd stay off the G.D. internet).

A person who has become adept at building and who is using templates and quality power tools could put out quite a few each month depending on what kind of features they have. Neck joint will be a determining factor. How many neck laminates and how many pieces of wood go into the body will be a factor. Wether you use binding or not. The list goes on. The fact of the matter is, if you're just putting out tons of copied guitars with little to no features aside from being hand built, you won't get much money for them at all.

My $.02,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

To build a nice guitar, expect to spend a significant amount of time. I mostly refurbish existing guitars or take parts and build them into complete instruments, and even that takes a bit of time to do it right. If you're starting from scratch, with just hunks of wood and you haven't done any guitar building or woodworking, expect to spend a couple of months.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Edited by GodBlessTexas

longest took me 160 hours of actual hands on work.

Shortest was 12 days for a neck through with nitro.

Longest it took to draw and research for one set of plans (polka dot v replica) 120+ hours.

I just spent 20 hours lacquering ONE guitar, over the past week.

Forget about making money, just concentrate on making guitars. The rest will follow if your smart, and can make them well.

I spent approximately 75 hrs building my first strat. Almost half of the time was required for final sanding and finishing and still I should have spent more time for the paint job.

My second guitar, a set neck FlyingV required 10hrs less, despite the more complex structure (you live, you learn). Actually I documented every working hour from my both the projects to my website, but the document is in finnish, so it probably won't help you much :-)

You can never compete with big industrial guitar factories with quantity, so I think this question is quite irrelevant. If you build guitars as a hobby, why hurry. And if you want to make it professionally you should concentrate more to quality (and fullfilling your customers' needs) than quantity.

Forget about making money, just concentrate on making guitars. The rest will follow if your smart, and can make them well.

Perfect advise.

You can never compete with big industrial guitar factories with quantity, so I think this question is quite irrelevant.

Very True.

My $.02,

About what you will make per. hour if you don't lose money. At least until you know what you are doing.

Sincerly I want to know how many guitars could a build in a month to sell.

If you seriously want to know build for a month and see how far you get. It really doesn't matter how fast anyone else can build.

:D Rich

Well i'm about to start my first 'from scratch' build and i've been staring at the neck blank for over three weeks, i've re-positioned the truss rod about twenty times and have swung from angled headstock (whoops, don't have a bandsaw) to straight about as many times as well and i still haven't had the balls to make my first cut :D

Jem :D

:D

Immaturity, plain and simple. Good ridance I say. I know a lot of you might disagree, but if you knew someone was going to stab you in the back a year before they did it, would you ever want to be their friend? Don't mourn their leaving; that's exactly what they want. They want you to beg them to come back.

An experienced builder that knows how to manage his time AND has the funds to work on several at a time can generate 5-10 per month in spare time. But like the other posts say, learn the craft, build it cause you love it, then worry about production and income once you have a reputation as a quality builder.