I Want To Build My Own Pickups

Hey Tonemonkey,

If malebolgia doesn't take you up on the offer, I'd certainly like to see that book!

Safe return promised! PM or email me and I'll send you my address.

Pete :D

And im sure Tone Monkey will also back me up on this...

As commented above.. many people have posted on this... take a trip over to the Electronics section and ask around esp PSW and Lovekraft...

With the amount of ability and talent over there... id be AMAZED if they couldnt help you with any problems you came across!

Good luck dude!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Hey Tone monkey,

This might suit you as I think that book would probably be copyright, but at the forum I use to be a member of we used to scan books and convert them into PDF's.

So just an idea but I think it would be benificial to all the mebers on this forum, but of course its entirely up to you, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about your book being stolen/destroyed.

Nah, no can do, sorry blink.

Jason Lollar's a good bloke, I've spoke to him over at Ampge a few times. He's a small business and I should imagine that the book might bring in a bit of good income to him (when he prints it anyway :D ).

I think to have a copy floating around cyberspace would take money out of the blokes pocket. I'd probably do it if was a big company, but not a small guy.

Maybe all those who want the book should get together and you should get one person to send him an email on everyones behalf. You could even start a thread here and send him a link to it. Everyone who wanted it could raise there cyber hand in the thread and if there's enough, you never know he might print a few.

Hopefully, he'll stick around as he would be a MASSIVE bonus to the site and also makes some mighty fine axes.

Kaj :D

• 3 weeks later...
Nah, no can do, sorry blink.

Jason Lollar's a good bloke, I've spoke to him over at Ampge a few times.  He's a small business and I should imagine that the book might bring in a bit of good income to him (when he prints it anyway  :D ).

I think to have a copy floating around cyberspace would take money out of the blokes pocket.  I'd probably do it if was a big company, but not a small guy.

Maybe all those who want the book should get together and you should get one person to send him an email on everyones behalf.  You could even start a thread here and send him a link to it.  Everyone who wanted it could raise there cyber hand in the thread and if there's enough, you never know he might print a few.

Hopefully, he'll stick around as he would be a MASSIVE bonus to the site and also makes some mighty fine axes.

Kaj  :D

i did send an emial it was dienied, he said his book was out of print and that was final

Personally, I think lollar makes most of his money selling custom pickups, followed by custom guitars and having a book out there to help folks compete against him probably seemed like less and less of a smart idea. I'd say he wants it out of print because every tom, dick and harry buys it and starts their own custom pickup business.

I have never seen the book but i feel I could make a pickup today given the resources with all I have read online. From what I understand his book was primarily about how to build the winder, and some theory behind pup design.

A pup is just a coil of wire wrapped around either a magnet(s) (standard single coil), or pole pieces attached to a magnet (HB and P90 designs, or ceramic SC designs). The "mojo" lies in the bobbin design, guage and composition of wire, and the number of turns you squeeze into the housing.

A winder is a simple as a motor turning a bobbin with some way to count turns. Or if you don't want to count turns, just be consistent with how you build your bobbin and look at the volume of wire and try to kee that consistent.

I will say this, you won't save any money on the first pickup you build. Wire and stuff is expensive, but it will be rewarding and if you build 5-6 pups you would definitely see a savings.

Also google Guitar Jones, as they are a pup supply dealer. You have to email them for the list as it's not all on their web site. You can get pre-made forbon bobbins from them completely with the magnets. Saves time and money scrounging all the materials and trying to make it yourself.

Actually, you may see a savings after 5 or 6 if you don't factor in a winder, but if you do it'll take longer than that. If you also count your TIME, you may NEVER see a savings (depending on your value of your time). But then, you get pickups exactly as you want them...eventually. :D

I think you're right, though - there's a lot of info out there.

Stew Mac also has a few parts, as does www.ampge.com/

Another Forum here:

http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fireBB...m=pmgd&enter=go