Please Help!

ODavidIsCoolO

I know this is not the right forum but any question I ask here I get good answers too so thanks guys. But I am looking for a vocal effects pedal mainly just for distortion to make a voice kind of computerized sounding or just a little scratchy. I cant find anything thats not a multi effects pedal. I was thinking maybe I could get 2 adapters that change microphone cables into 1/4" cables then just run it through a regular guitar distortion pedal. Would this work? If so what pedal would be best. Please reply any info would help

I know on one of Incubus' albums, they wanted that type of sound at the begining of one of their tracks. What they did was sing into a hollow body jazz guitar with a mic. in it and ran the output from that directly into the board. My band needed a simular sound on one of our songs. We got one of those $10 POS pocket guitar amps w/ no knobs or buttons that is powered by a 9v battery. It distorts the signal in a way that you described, not in the rich way a good distortion/overdrive pedal does. We plugged a Shure SM58 into an adapter and then into the amp. We then recorded the amp with a Shure KSM44 condenser. Of course, you could get similar results with different mics.

A lot of those vocal effects have gone through plain ol' distortion, as garehan suggests. However, an overlooked 'effect' is simple EQ. A notch filter (which is just a type of EQ unless it's a 'resonant' filter) that completely removes a certain band of frequencies will give you that mechanical "radioed-in" sound. The small pocket amp has a similar effect because it's not capable of reproducing all the frequencies, PLUS it has a wee little speaker to shake up for 'speaker' distortion which sounds crappy (in a good way).

Greg

Ya but i was thinking of something for more live performances just to add some effcts to the vocals i checked guitar center and they want like $300 for the digitech one that has tons of effects but all i want is distortion they had nothing to offer me there

When we went live, and our singer wanted to have a distorted vocal, we used to use a russian Big Muff. Really raw sound.

Then we started using an extra mic, going into a Marshall MG10 little amp and went to the desk with the headphone jack.

Also, im sure if you talk to the sound guy nicely enough, he'll overload the vocal line on the desk.

Matt