Sheilding Rare Of Guitar

Aluminum foil will help, for sure. The main reason people use adhesive copper foil is:

1. As a self-adhesive product, it's less of a mess to work with

2. You can solder directly TO it. You cannot solder to Aluminum foil

3. It's slightly thicker and sturdier to work with

4. It's more conductive (I think) than Aluminum, and therefore works a bit better

But YES, you CAN use aluminum if that's what you have access to. You'll need to find a way to affix your wires to the foil, though-- a simple screw should do the trick, but that's not the only way to do it.

When I shielded a guitar using Aluminum foil. I found that spray adhesive was the only way to even consider using it. Any sort of brush-on or 'spread'-on adhesive would have been too much hassle.

Sorry if any of my words are too complex-- it seems as though perhaps you are not a native English speaker. :D

Greg

you could also go to lowes or walmart and buy aluminum tape. it should be in the same aisle as the masking tapes.

it basically the same as copper tape but u can find it more easily.

It doesn't work. Aside from the fact that aluminum doesn't adhere to solder, the adhesive on the bottom of the tape is an insulator, so two overlapping strips will not conduct. It just doesn't work well, trust me, I've tried.

It doesn't work. Aside from the fact that aluminum doesn't adhere to solder, the adhesive on the bottom of the tape is an insulator, so two overlapping strips will not conduct. It just doesn't work well, trust me, I've tried.

If by "it doesn't work" you mean "it doesn't work if you try to do it the same way you'd do copper tape" then I agree.

Read my post again, though. The same rules would apply for aluminum tape, I'd imagine. Only thing that I'm skeptical about is that I didn't really like how unwieldly the actual aluminum tape is. I'd rather use foil and the craft spray adhesive.

Greg

while we're on the topic.

is it possible to make your own conductive paint?

i dont think anyone here really enjoys coughin up 50 bucks for some stew mac conductive paint.

would it be sufficient if i jsut took copper and grinded it for a few hours until i got a nice pile of dust and mixed it up with paint?

would that conduct?

would it be sufficient if i jsut took copper and grinded it for a few hours until i got a nice pile of dust and mixed it up with paint?

would that conduct?

Well, that's what conductive paint is, right? So why not?

Anyway, it certainly can't hurt to try--I'd use a grinder (and a respirator), you'd have enough copper dust in a few minutes.

How would you test that, though?

would that conduct?

Well, that's what conductive paint is, right? So why not?

Anyway, it certainly can't hurt to try--I'd use a grinder (and a respirator), you'd have enough copper dust in a few minutes.

How would you test that, though?

Voltimeter or whatever it's actually called. :D

I'm skeptical, but you're right that it IS what conductive paint is, at its basic level. Remember, though, that for something to be conductive there must be unbroken or nearly-unbroken contact between the conductive matter (I say nearly because electrons can jump in the right circumstances, but I don't think that it's going to be the case here). So, the suspension has to be pretty dense. Some copper particles floating around in paint won't cut it unless the quantity is substantial.

Although-- now that I'm thinking about it... it's not like you'd be preparing a gallon of the stuff. Wouldn't even be a pint, so maybe it WOULD only take a few minutes to get enough particles.

Someone was mentioning another alternative, though-- some sort of paint that was readily available at Home Depot / Lowe's or places like that. Can't remember what it was.

Greg