Slide Holder

I'm sure there are millions of different-sized clips that you could use for a slide on your headstock. A bit of creativity will sort you out. :D Retrofit one of the mic stand ones if that's what you can get your hands on.

Greg

I was under the impression that Steve simply has Velcro on the slide and headstock...

Maybe I'm wrong.

:D

+1

There's some velcro tape on one side of the slide and on the back of the headstock. If you watch the motion of his hand when places the slide back theret... Well... He's pushing his hand against the headstock. He's not 'sliding' it onto anything. He just pushes the velcro together and removes his finger. Voila!

MLAR, Cor

Edited by Uncle Os

I'm surprised if it's Velcro. I would have thought Vai and his techs would have come up with a clip. There are literally thousands of different kinds of clips you could easily retrofit to a headstock; however, I guess it WOULD stick out a lot compared to a simple velcro strip.

Seems to me that if it's a stainless steel slide being used, the best option would be a magnet.

Greg

I'm surprised if it's Velcro.  I would have thought Vai and his techs would have come up with a clip.  There are literally thousands of different kinds of clips you could easily retrofit to a headstock; however, I guess it WOULD stick out a lot compared to a simple velcro strip.

Seems to me that if it's a stainless steel slide being used, the best option would be a magnet.

Greg

yeh i saw the motion of his hand and thought it may be a magnet or something like that i didnt think it was a slide holder it could have been a clip or even velcro but i carnt see any on his slide

Most? I highly doubt that. The most common slide is the Jim Dunlop chromed steel slide. Traditionally, slides are glass or brass, but I would think that right now the majority are steel.

Besides that, I said, "IF it's a stainless steel slide". I understand magnetism. :D

Greg

I have no idea what he uses, but to me it seems like velcro is a pretty cheezy way to hold a slide for someone like Vai that has so many people that help him to design most anything he wants. Plus it would be very uncomfortable on your finger while playing, some people have a finger up on the slide while playing. Anyways I have no idea what he does, if velcro works for him then cool, do what works for you, but for someone like Steve it seems he would have something a lot better than velcro. Just my opinion. Later. J

Don't give him so much credit, he does play an ibanez after all.lol.gif

...let's see how many JEM fans from this site come to my house tonight to try to assassinate me.

:D:D:DB)

HAHA! Honestly I own an ibanez, not a jem though. I don't really have any problems with them, but I don't expect all that much out of them. I wanted a Jem for a long time but then I realized that the price was a bit out of control. There is hardly any difference between those and the RG's and the price difference is insane. That whole issue right there is what got me into building! Seriously. I felt that I could make a sick ass Jem out of better wood and do it for half the price a Jem costs.

Well I ended up starting with purpleheart just because it looks cool and it was very cheap at my local hardwood shop, I doubt this guitar will be what I want, but I didn't want to buy the best stuff for a first try, when I get better I will buy some very nice wood and build myself a top notch RG, I don't really like the Jem handle anymore for some reason, I might build one anyways down the line and see how I like it and possibly sell it off on ebay or something. Plus I'm adding a nice figured maple top, which jems tend not to have. So after reading that most of the jems that I did like were made out of basswood, I decided I would rather make my own, I'm not a big fan of basswood. Especially for a $2000 guitar!

I do like the ibanez designs a lot. Most of them are a style that appeal to me personally. The guitar I'm doing now is a Rg inspired body, just simple and still very cool to me. I have a design or two that I have drawn up recently that I really like, but those will have to wait. There is something else that made me realize that I would never buy a Jem. Perry! I read his page and the starting price for a custom guitar was like $1400 US!! And thats for a fully custom guitar! So I feel there is no reason to buy a Jem, other than the fact you want it for a collectable, or because you are in love with steve vai, but if your buying a guitar for playing, then there is no good reason to pay such a huge price for a guitar, make your own or buy an RG.

Plus I have really enjoyed building so far, to me it is so much fun, picking out wood and matching everything up to get a certain sound and look. Even if the guitar I wanted was a $100 and the wood I bought was $200 I would still do it, just because it has become something I am truly interested in.

Anyways I found that funny Russ, I bet so many people will start rioting outside your door! I double dog dare you to go say that over at Jemsite, I bet you would be sentenced to death and executed immediately B) . Later Russ. Jason

I believe it's jemsite.com, but I can't seem to load it so I have no idea. Maybe it's my computer, or the site is down. Man this will be so funny, I'm sure you'll be banned instantly, but I assume you are expecting that. Jason

major bummer, JEMsite.com will be down a while. They have a homepage that links to their main site that says the site is down temporarily. Just as well, gives me time to think of something supremely offensive. Any tips as to what would offend an ibanez owner would be greatly appreciated.