Neck Heavy Guitar...

My newly built guitar is done, and Because I thought Mahogany would be too heavy, I got Obeche, and it's too light... because there's only 1 pickup in the guitar, and a light HT bridge.

So . ' . (therefore) I have a neck heavy guitar.

Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this? Weights? routing in the back and putting in weights? haha, mercury injection?

thanks.

My newly built guitar is done, and Because I thought Mahogany would be too heavy, I got Obeche, and it's too light... because there's only 1 pickup in the guitar, and a light HT bridge.

Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this?  Weights?  routing in the back and putting in weights? haha, mercury injection?

thanks.

One technique I've heard is to tape a 9-volt (or 2 or 3) to the strap at the bridge-side strap pin...

Give some details on the guitar. What wood did you use for the neck. What style body(LP,Strat,Tele??). Is the headsock oversized? Type of tuners used? Also placement of strap pins may be something to look at. Is the body fairly normal thickness or extra thin? Finally try to describe how far out of balance it is (slight, mildly, extreamly). The info will make it much easyer to give you suggestons.

Peace,Rich

P.S. If I missed this info in a building thread. Please post a link. I tried a search on your previous topics and couldn't find it (I may have missed it though).

Its an easy fix. I purposely made a guitar that featured a little more neck (about 3"), I wanted full access to the high frets. Naturally the guitar wanted to flip on me. :D

First I hawged out a hole in the side of my control cavity with a forstner bit. Then I poured melted lead inside the hole. I also installed Grover mini tuners for the headstock, perrrfect balance.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sobot/?...nt=P1010008.jpg

that's my guitar (bad picture, sorry). Regular thickness... I know that the strap pin that is closer to the neck is a problem because usually, the horn is longer on guitar such as a strat, which would make it better for balance...

to say HOW MUCH it falls is, if I let go of the neck, it'll fall pretty fast... hmmm. I don't know how to say it. I just feel that I need to hold the neck up when playing.

this will sound kind of dumb, but depending on how neck heavy the thing is, changing straps might just help. My SG is a bit neck heavy, but using a leather strap instead of a nylon one like I usually use seemed to fix that - the raw leather on the back of the strap has just enough friction against the back of my shirt that it won't slide around on me. My Firebird is *really* neck heavy though, and a strap just wasn't going to change things.

You could just chop the headstock off and set it up Steinberger headless style. :D

What happens to the guitar's resonance when you fill a cavity in the body full of lead?!

Nothing. Lead is mighty heavy metal, you don't need much to "tip the scales" so to speak. :D I used a 1/2" forstner bit and overlapped 3 holes, 1/2", 3/4" & 1/2" deep to make 1 oblong hole. The inside surface was irregular and rough enough for the lead to settle without loosening when cooled.

Edited by Southpa

Does anyone have any recommendations to fix this?  Weights?  routing in the back and putting in weights? haha, mercury injection?

thanks.

One technique I've heard is to tape a 9-volt (or 2 or 3) to the strap at the bridge-side strap pin...

nah dude, that doesnt work.... i never heard that, but i have a 9 volt taped there anyway for my active electronics on my sg........