Good Playing But Inexpensive Hollowbody Guitars

im kinda lookin for a hollowbody guitar that i can customize just how i want but im not lookin for the huge pricetag. preferably with mini humbuckers or filtertron'ish pickups......is there such a thing? believe me if i wasnt paying for college and had a spare 2 grand i would buy a gretsch so fast......but since that isnt the case im lookin for a project. i wind my own pickups so i plan on rewinding or straight up replacing whatevers on it. slap a bigsby, lockin tuners, tone switch, roller bridge and maybe even a preamp on and i'll be set. has anyone played an oscar schmitd? or any of those fairly cheap ones on eebs? thanks for the help

I'll 3rd the Ibanez Artcore thing. I bought one about a year ago, with the same thing in mind as you. I like it so much I haven't touched a thing on it yet. In comparion to the Epiphone dots, the Ibanez is a MUCH better value.

Both GFS and TV'tron make humbucker sized filtertron like pickups. I may still drop a set in my Ibanez, but its not on my short list at the moment.

George

I'll 3rd the Ibanez Artcore thing. I bought one about a year ago, with the same thing in mind as you. I like it so much I haven't touched a thing on it yet. In comparion to the Epiphone dots, the Ibanez is a MUCH better value.

Both GFS and TV'tron make humbucker sized filtertron like pickups. I may still drop a set in my Ibanez, but its not on my short list at the moment.

George

it seems like the artcore is the way to go. i played a used one in guitar center that was set up pretty badly, but i checked the neck felt pretty good and such. i dont believe in gfs filtertrons, a friend of mine got a 'hot' one for bridge position, i measured the resistance in series: i believe it was about 14 k....... filtertrons measure around 4k. they also dont use 42 awg formvar wire, i believe they used 43 awg poly wire. gfs also uses ceramic magnets in one of their "filtertrons", where gretsch uses alnico 5.

i prefer to wind my own coils, they turn out much better than gfs or seymore duncans. the second pickup i wound was an invader copy, threw it in my friends epi sheraton and that pickup screams through his pignose. its less sterile sounding than the invader. the only pickups i like enough to stick them in my guitars are bartolinis (bass) and lace sensor. so theres my speil about pickups......

if tvjones pickups were a bit less pricey i would grab a set, but i will just wind my own pickups

Edited by jaguarcat311

• 1 month later...

I had a really nice Turser 335 dot clone (sold it to somebody who couldn't live without it), but I went through a dozen or two to find a really good one. You're going to run into that same situation on any inexpensive import semi-hollow, be it Ibanez, Epiphone, Samick or whatever. There are some real dogs in all those lines, but if you can pick and choose from a fairly large selection, there are a few real gems to be found. Look for intonation, playability, clean fretwork and good fit and finish, and expect to replace pickups, and you shouldn't go far wrong.

• 3 weeks later...