Neck-thru Or Bolt-on

Hey fella's

I've ordered some plans for a gibson explorer, and I believe that it will have a neck-thru design, as this is my first guitar, would it be best if I created it with a bolt-on neck as I get a general feeling these are easier to build for a first timer maker, and offer more options during the setup (ability to use shims etc).

Can some of your more experienced guy's give me your opinions on this as i'm not quite sure which route to take.

Thanks in advanced.

I think I can do anything, but whether for my first guitar the neck-thru is too much of a challenge, I don't know. I guess what i'm asking is, what is the skill level required to build a neck-thru compared to a bolt-on.

Also with the thru-neck i'm slightly worried about the setup issue, not being able to shim the neck could be a problem, but then on the other hand, neck-thru's are supposed to sound that much better..

Cheers perry - doing the neck-thru will mean I wont have to change the plans - so I should probably go for it.

As an aside, I plan to buy a slotted fingerboard from Stew-macs using the gibson compensated scale (to match the explorer) is the actual length of the fingerboard always the same on guitars that use the same scale? E.g will the fingerboard I buy from Stew-macs be the correct length for the neck on the explorer plans?

Stew, yes. Even so, you can change the length of the neck to suit the fretboard. The birdge should always be calculated using a ruler, and not plans, just to be sure.

Super, what i mean is, that you need to be more precise with all your angles etc. Personally, i dont use plans, and with a bolt-on guitar, i just wing it. Doesnt matter, i can change the neck angle, depth, bla bla at any stage (even after lacquer) but you cant do that with a neck through. Plus its harder to sand, lacquer, fret, level, bla bla bla.

Hey rich, those photo's are extremely useful, definitly helps me visualise the build, although to be honest, it scares me a little - the neck-thru seems very complicated, you've got me thinking about doing a bolt-on now, lol !

Is a neck-thru a big improvement on tonality? This is what would be a deal breaker for me, even though it will be my first build, I want it to sound as good as possible, so if a neck-thru is a definite improvement on tone, I guess i'll just stuck in and see where it gets me, whereas if not, i'll go with the easier bolt-on.

BB

Wes, could you outline what the benefit of a set-neck is, personaly i see it as just an un-flexible bolt-on style neck without the added advantage of being removable, now i'm 100% sure i'm being over simplistic, but I can't see what the advantage of a set-neck is...

...more wood to wood contact...

...sounds like Ed Roman speak if you ask me. haha

well,nobody asked you :D

but seriously...it sounds different from a bolt on...millions of gibson and prs guitars show that there is some difference.

main reason i like it is because it allows me to have a guitar with the upper access of a through neck,but with a less harsh tone,due to the ability to have less maple ( the neck is shorter) and more of the more mellow body wood of your choice...

in all my rambling builds...i have come up with 2 favorite tones...maple through neck with alder body,and maple set neck with mahogany body...

but that is just my preference...i also built a 3 piece laminated maple neck with a 1" center strip of honduran mahogany,set into a solid alder body...it is a 7 string...but the tone is magnificent...unfortunately it has some playability issues i have not taken care of yet

If I didn't think neckthroughs sounded different, I woudn't spend everywaking hour(besides the ones spent on this board, hehe) building a hollow one. So I believe it, but when I hear that "wood on wood contact...," I get the Roman shivers.

Edited by thegarehanman

No offense was intended. Just a joke that most of the guys on this board could relate to. Actually, Ed uses the "wood on wood" logic to justify using a bolt on neck over a set neck. Tom-foolery! I've never been a strat-man either, but that's mostly because I don't like the way it sits in my lap.

No offence taken, the reason i reacted like that is because i know what people on this board think of him. How he can use that analagy(sp?) to justify using a bolt on over a set neck is beond me really.

End of the roman bashing!

I really like playing strats, i just prefer the tone i get from my les paul thats all. I learnt to play on a strat.

Bolt on's have there advantages tho, my first neck for my guitar may turn out really crap, but i can always srap it and build another one if that happens, with a neck through you may have to scrap the whole guitar. You could always just cut the body wings off it, tho.

No offense was intended. Just a joke that most of the guys on this board could relate to. Actually, Ed uses the "wood on wood" logic to justify using a bolt on neck over a set neck. Tom-foolery! I've never been a strat-man either, but that's mostly because I don't like the way it sits in my lap.

my reply was just a joke as well...ed hates set necks...but who cares what ed thinks...

i don't know...i have about 30 guitars...and i have built 4 of them that actually made it to a finished product,and i am on my 5th right now...and all of them are different...different woods,neck construction,hardware,etc...the only thing that is the same in all of them is that they are all emg equipped...

and of my favorite sounding 5 guitars....4 of them are set neck...

Neck thru's present another problem that no one has talked about, that i am experiencing with my build is that if you cant get the one part of done for some reason then your less likely to be able to do another part of the build. You cant go ahead and complete the body (inc Finishing etc) if the neck is still a bunch on laminates for example. Do a neck thru if u like, it does mean you dont have to cut a neck pocket. :D

Neck thru's present another problem that no one has talked about, that i am experiencing with my build is that if you cant get the one part of done for some reason then your less likely to be able to do another part of the build. You cant go ahead and complete the body (inc Finishing etc) if the neck is still a bunch on laminates for example. Do a neck thru if u like, it does mean you dont have to cut a neck pocket. :D

well...i complete the neck entirely before i add the wings

in all my rambling builds...i have come up with 2 favorite tones...maple through neck with alder body,and maple set neck with mahogany body...

-and he takes note-

okay back on topic.

A neck through logicly speaking (I've never done a neck through) shouldn't be any harder at all if you just plan it out well. For instance, you'll need to plan for the height of your bridge and be right on the money because you can't shim your neck or shave off any. You also need to get the tilt (if any) exat for previous stated reason.

I am planning on doing a neck through (right after I finish the secone wenge but thats a diffrent story :D )

I've already done up all the full scale plans in photoshop and did a mental run through and I can't really think of any hard points except that you have that much more bulk off the end that you have to deal with when you fret and carve the neck.

Plus finishing will be harder because you have this big hunky thing...