Startrite 352 Vertical Bandsaw

ByronBlack

I'm looking at this machine on ebay at the moment, and I can't find too much in the way of good information on google other than it's a 36" bandsaw - made by startrite.

Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Does anyone have any experience or know of any reviews of this brand?

Hey I did some poking around on google as well. This seems the be a fairly popular industrial machine in the UK. I found two different specs for throat depth 300mm or 350mm I'm not sure which is correct. The machine seems to be able to cut up to a 280mm depth and uses up to a 3/4" blade.

Its probably a decent machine assuming everything is in good order.

I googled the words "strartrite 352 bandsaw" and I had to go 3 or 4 pages deep before I found any thing that gave specs.

It seems like it would be a nice machine to have. It is probably more than you absolutely need. You would easily have enough capacity to resaw anything guitar related and that's a biggy.

I say if you have the floor space and the electrical capacity to run a 3 phase motor, go for it. Assuming the machine is in good condition and the price is right.

I don't have any experience with their bandsaws, but if they're like their tablesaws they are as good as they get. I had a 10" sliding panel table saw and it's one of the few machines i've ever owned that I had

1)absolutely no mecanical trouble that I didn't cause.

2) no trouble getting parts for when I screwed up and

3) no suggestions for anything that I would have liked done differently except for the cost, size, and weight of the sucker.

When I downsized the shop and went back to graduate school I sold it to a local high school theatre shop where it has seen heavy use by heathen teenagers for ten years on top of the fifteen I had it. I'm over there fairly often and the thing is still a phenominal workhorse in daily use.

I'm not sure in wood working that there is anything such as overkill with machines.

Shop space money and electricity are the only limitations.

Cheers for the insight guy's.

I think i'll bid for it to a sensible level, as i've got a shed for a workshop, and if it was expensive and big, then I would better with something smaller, but it does seem to be a strong unit, so hopefully there aren't many people looking at it and i'll get a bargain !