A Few Questions About Everything

Noddy13

Right, i'm new to all this stuff and need a few questions answered so any help would be greatly appreciated:

1 What type of tools are needed for fretting? Can you just use a coping saw???

2 Do you drill all the way thru the fret board for inlays of just a bit ? If so how much?

3 Dose ebony need to be treated before being used as a fret board?

4 How good is basewood for sound and weight for a guitar body.

and thats all i can think of at the mo. but il probably have more soon! Cheers Noddy :D

Edited by Noddy13

Right, i'm new to all this stuff and need a few questions answered so any help would be greatly appreciated:

1 What type of tools are needed for fretting? Can you just use a coping saw???

Buy a fretboard its much better to start off in my view . Your going to need other bits to do th fretting , leveling etc .

2 Do you drill all the way thru the fret board for inlays of just a bit ? If so how much?

Don't drill all he way thru ,

3 Dose ebony need to be treated before being used as a fret board?

No

4 How good is basewood for sound and weight for a guitar body.

I think you realy need to read lots of the posts here . Ive been reading and all i can here and also brought melvyn Hiscocks book on building .

8 months of reading and planing , drawing plans , re reading etc and i just yesterday started building my first neckthru . Guess im trying to say , read , plan , read some more then do it all again just to make sure your up to date with all the basics .

Ill start asking a few questions before i go ahead and drill or glue anything so the experts here can ok my work ( and mainly give me some piece of mind )

Cheers.

Now this may sound a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really dumb question but: What is 'clear' when you say give it a coat of clear i dont really understand. lol. Is it just like clear laquer?? Cheers Noddy :D