Contouring

Yeah yeah, we have seen litchfields neck joints mate...

That guy just can't get a break, can he? Not that he deserves one; I just don't want him to go and kill himself or something. B) ... :D

He already has. Last I heard he was a DJ at a strip club :D

NO MORE LITCH COMMENTS PLEASE. LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A BASHING THREAD.

k, thanks :D

20 minutes with a grinder and sanding disc...and 30 minutes with the rasp you see there...

that is front AND back as well...deep contouring.

IM000055.JPG

by the way...any of you guys that have not worked with alder yet...give it a whirl.

it is simply the easiest wood to work that i personally have tried.and the sound is great as well

by the way...any of you guys that have not worked with alder yet...give it a whirl.

it is simply the easiest wood to work that i personally have tried.and the sound is great as well

Hmmm, so old Leo Fender tweren't no damn fool, eh? B)

I was actually working on an Alder Telecaster with a spalted Maple top and Myrtle back just a few short minutes ago.

Not to completely track this topic into a sharp left turn, but does anyone else listen to the kind of music that pertains to the guitar they're building?

I was listening to SRV when I was working on the Tele tonight, and when I'm building a metal axe, I listen to metal music. I feel that it somehow inspires me to build the guitar as it should be built, know what I mean? :D:D

Not to completely track this topic into a sharp left turn, but does anyone else listen to the kind of music that pertains to the guitar they're building?

I was listening to SRV when I was working on the Tele tonight, and when I'm building a metal axe, I listen to metal music. I feel that it somehow inspires me to build the guitar as it should be built, know what I mean?  :D  :D

Yep! It's wierd, but it puts me into that mood with the guitar I'm working on.

Must be my DNA or something B)

yes...i usually build with either exodus,testament,lamb of god,or meshuggah turned way,way up.

not for me though...for the guitar.i feel it gives the guitar the mojo it should have...the guitar seems to appreciate it.

and yes...i know that technically that would be classified as "guitar building voodoo"

we all fall prey to it in some way.

I'm listening to alot of classic, solo violin, & Yoyo-Ma while building my violin...it seriously does help.

As for the main question, scroll down a little more than half way at this link and you'll see how I've done it.

http://www.hobbyluthier.8m.com/bass2construction/body2.html

I use an old hand plane for the arm rest, takes only a few minutes to do, then I blend the edges with a small trimming plane and sandpaper.

The tummy cut I've done with the idle drum on a stationary belt sander, in stages as pictured.

yeah...basswood dents too easily...i refinished one basswood guitar and i chased dents around forever and as soon as i got rid of one,i added another one.

never tried swap ash...but the end product of alder(tonewise) is the thing i love most about it..

I love basswood. That saga is basswood, and I have only gotten dents from my ruler. If you are putting dents in it left and right, you are either going to quick or working to carelessly.

yeah...basswood dents too easily...i refinished one basswood guitar and i chased dents around forever and as soon as i got rid of one,i added another one.

never tried swap ash...but the end product of alder(tonewise) is the thing i love most about it..

I love basswood. That saga is basswood, and I have only gotten dents from my ruler. If you are putting dents in it left and right, you are either going to quick or working to carelessly.

yes sir mr. mastercraftsman :D i guess that one guitar makes you the expert

funny...you won't dent my alder with your ruler

yes sir mr. mastercraftsman :D i guess that one guitar makes you the expert

B) I've worked with basswood a lot, just a little example.

Jee-sus!! :D

by the way,it is "too" quick and carelessly. :D

i have been known to slip up and rush on occasion...no biggie...but i HATE the tone and feel of basswood.it is just so bland,so i see no reason whatsoever to deal with it's easy dent-a-bility...not when alder and mahogany are so much cooler

by the way,it is "too" quick and carelessly. B)

i have been known to slip up and rush on occasion...no biggie...but i HATE the tone and feel of basswood.it is just so bland,so i see no reason whatsoever to deal with it's easy dent-a-bility...not when alder and mahogany are so much cooler

Yeah yeah grammar police :D

I know. I actually like basswood. Not over any more common "luthiers" wood, but I don't "HATE" IT. The worst part is finishing it nice and you dent it :D