Surfaced And Jointed Wood.

Hi, question:

If I dont want (to save some money) to buy a surfaced and jointed (stewmac, warmoth, etc) body blank. How dificult is if I buy a piece of great wood to do that ?

What tools would I need to surface and joint it well ?

What about the time? Is it take too much time to do that?

Thanx, :D

Demian.

Unless you have tools to do it or know someone with the appropriate tools and skills, I would buy a pre-surfaced and joined body blank. In order to surface it, you will need a thickness sander and/or planer. To join the two pieces you would need either a jointer and a little skill, or hand planes with a lot of skill.

Yes, they are quite expensive for someone to go out and buy for their first project. You would definately be better to just buy a body blank. As for the second link, thats not the kind of sander you would need; you would need a thickness sander such as this: http://www.royal-products.com/html/thickness_sander.html

Another option would be for you to buy wood and take it to a local woodshop or cabinet maker to see if they could surface and join the wood for a small fee.

Yes, they are quite expensive for someone to go out and buy for their first project. You would definately be better to just buy a body blank. As for the second link, thats not the kind of sander you would need; you would need a thickness sander such as this: http://www.royal-products.com/html/thickness_sander.html

Another option would be for you to buy wood and take it to a local woodshop or cabinet maker to see if they could surface and join the wood for a small fee.

Primal, do you know if it is ok for that ?

You cannot measure the thicknnes that you want to sand but I see it very big.

Sander

If you go to a lumber yard that deals in quality hardwoods, the wood is usually rough sawn, in somewhat randon lengths, widths, and thicknesses. For a fee, they run it through their planers, sanders, joiners, etc. to make any size you need. Some places even offer bandsaw services, and would cut the body shape for you (but these places are much less common). They usualy charge quite a bit for these services, so I'd look for a local cabinet or furniture shop. Some schools offer woodworking classes also.

You will spend ALOT more money buying the tools to surface the wood yourself. Just buy a joined/surfaced body blank from StewMac, or whoever.

You can get joined and surfaced body blanks for reasonable prices. There are lots of dealers on line. If you can get the material locally (and have it joined and surfaced, as long as the fee is reasonable), you can save on shipping charges (plus pick out your own wood). Trust me you have a lot of options if you don't want to sink a lot of $$$ into large tools, and it should not be very expensive.

Peace, Rich

whats wrong with hand planes ?? does no one do all the work by hand anymore ? i mean 100% hand tools. No Power what so ever. ?????

My Next Guitar is going to be all done with out power tools. i think it will add to the guitar, for me that is. to anyone else the guitar will be the same. but the hard work, and time and the detail. it's all worth it.

Nothing wrong with hand tools at all. Although it requires an investment to get good hand tools (I am assuming you are mainly talking about well set up hand planes). It takes time to learn how to both use and keep these tools sharp and set up well. Depending on what I am working on I will use hand tools at times other times I just prefer larger tools(whatever tool works best for the task). It would be rather foolish of me to ignore any of the tools at my disposal just because.

Peace,Rich

I threw together a thickness sander today....... it worked! Well sort of, I was 1/16 off over a 11 1/2 inch board. Which was spectacular considering I only used a tape measure to get my sizes and I only used junk I had laying around, like 2" PVC for the sanding drum, plywood from on old table, and a 10 yr old 1/3 hp drill press motor. It was great! And man it made a mess in the shop! dust everywhere! I did It as a test just to see how hard it would be, its simple! So now I'm saving the bucks to build a "real one" I figure an Aluminum drum and table, maybe a 3/4 or 1 hp motor. And definetly a dust collector! Parts at the extreme most 150 bucks for a 16 incher. of course I already have the dust collector parts, pulleys and sanding belts. I just have to figure out a "perfect" height adjustment mechanism..... any ideas?

keep the belt fixed, and move the table up and down. thats a for sure.

Yep for sure,

Im consisering a 14" wide X 2" square "slide/shim block" made of aluminum under the lift table that has a rail on each side and a threaded rod in the middle so it moves back and forth with the turn of a handle to lift and lower the table evenly. I'm considering nice drawer slides but I'm worried about it getting dust in the bearings. I thought about making grooves but figured it would get cockward on me like the single runner drawers in a cheap dresser.

Another very obvious option is to hunt around for a one piece blank. I found a local wood supplier who has occasional 15" wide 8/4 Honduran Mahagony and Poplar already planed.

I also went to a local cabinet maker to get a flame maple board bookmatched. It cost me $15, including planing and jointing.