Prs Mccarty Pickups Buzzing

possum1284

hi i juust installed a set of prs mccarty pickups according to the factory diagram ( http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/mccarty.pdf ) they sound great crystal clear in regular humbucker mode, but they buzz when coil tape or whatever its called is used ( when the tone knob is pulled up to make the pickups single coil). anyone else experience this? i emailed prs and they said it was normal but suggesated having it checcked by a tech which i trhought was contradictory lol. So is it an actual problem or is the buzzing normal when coil tap i used to make my humbuckers single coil?

thanks

Hey and welcome :D

Firstly its "Coil Tapped" Just so you know :D

Now personally i wouldnt worry, When coil Tap is enabled, you are basically using a single coil pickup, which usually buzz a bit anyway...

How bad is the buzzing? I Mean if its just slightly audiable then i wouldnt worry to much but if its really bad check the grounding of the p/u's when coil tapped?

Im not very good at electronics but i thought id give it a go B)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yup. If the buzzing is really disturbing, you might try shielding your guitar, and especially the pickup cavities. But don't expect miracles with single coils.

One thing: if your guitar is anywhere near a CRT monitor (computer or TV), single coils will buzz like crazy no matter what you do. If that's the problem, just ignore it and move away from the screens...

For those of you recording on computers, I strongly suggest switching to an LCD monitor. Bye bye the buzzing. It's a must in any home studio, I'd say...

For those of you recording on computers, I strongly suggest switching to an LCD monitor. Bye bye the buzzing. It's a must in any home studio, I'd say...

Cool, I did know this! :D

EDIT: I forgot to ask, are the pickups connected to any kind of preamp circuit? That will amplify any single coil hum that is present.

Edited by Paul Marossy

nah no preamp just a volume pot a 3 way switch and a push/pull pot like the diagram said. thanks to all that responded.

Cool, I did know this! :D

EDIT: I forgot to ask, are the pickups connected to any kind of preamp circuit? That will amplify any single coil hum that is present.

Yep, then it's just your single coil making the hum/buzz sound when you use the coil tap. It's perfectly normal. :D All that the coil tap does is takes half of the humbucker and uses it, but not the other half. And a humbucker pickup is just two parallel single coil pickups wired in such a way that they cancel the hum, but not the signal.