I Need A New Bandsaw

Nitefly SA

I just recently got into guitar building so i require more of a throat on my band saw, not to mention it is probably at least 30 years old (got it from my grandpa)but does any body have any suggestions for a good brand? i'd like to keep it under 500 dollars i was thinking this one http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00923635000 if any one has any feedback on this one or has other ones in mind please let me know, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it will be available to you, but i'll be purchasing a Scheppach 12" bandsaw in the next coming months - going to upgrade from my basic 10" SIP

The scheppach 12" Basato is a smaller version of the Basato 5 which is regarded as the best european bandsaw. The 12" is about £350 which might be out of your budget ?

I don't know if it will be available to you, but i'll be purchasing a Scheppach 12" bandsaw in the next coming months - going to upgrade from my basic 10" SIP

The scheppach 12" Basato is a smaller version of the Basato 5 which is regarded as the best european bandsaw. The 12" is about £350 which might be out of your budget ?

Well, one of the best, anyway. The 'big guns' are still generally Italian, such as Meber, Centauro, Agazzani and similar. But those are really, really, really huge monsters of machines. I'd love to own one, but sadly, no space..

Guys, I need a Band saw too, but dont know the measurements that has to have for guitar and bass purposes. I´m newb so could anyone explain to me the measurements of height, weigh thickness of cut that would be ok for that ? ?

I read that you suggested to buy a 14" band saw or better but what is 14" ? ?

Thanx,

Demian.

Guys, I need a Band saw too, but dont know the measurements that has to have for guitar and bass purposes. I´m newb so could anyone explain to me the measurements of height, weigh thickness of cut that would be ok for that ? ?

I read that you suggested to buy a 14" band saw or better but what is 14" ? ?

Thanx,

Demian.

Dude, go up a few, and click on that link to 'American Woodworker'. There's a nice link to a 'what to look for' PDF file which gives you an idea of what the heck a bandsaw is, what all the numbers mean, and what things you should pay attention to when buying.

Short version, 14" = the diameter of the wheels on the saw.

I saw Wes' 9" at Lowe's ... BANDSAW ... :D  for $99 buckaroos. That one goes on my Chrstmas list.

Is it the Delta 9"? I have one of those too, I use to cut templates etc. out, so that I don't have to change my blade. It will suprise you how good it will cut though, as I have used it to cut out bodies also. It's a nice small bandsaw and for starters good enough to build a couple of guitars.

Dude, go up a few, and click on that link to 'American Woodworker'. There's a nice link to a 'what to look for' PDF file which gives you an idea of what the heck a bandsaw is, what all the numbers mean, and what things you should pay attention to when buying.

Short version, 14" = the diameter of the wheels on the saw.

Ahh ok, looking pictures I understand now !! :D

Is this OK to buy what do you say??

BAND SAW

Demian.

The only drawback I see from the pictures is that you will be limited in how thick a board you can cut. It doesn't look like you can use a riser block which will increase the depth of cut by 6".

It is really hard to judge the quality from pictures.

Bandsaws are probably the most tempermental of shop tools. (this is arguable so don't jump on me guys) If the wheels are off it can be nearly impossible to get the blade to track and the cut may never be 90 degress to the table. It will also throw blades and drive you nuts.

I would get out the phone book, look up a couple of local furniture makers, they'll be easier to find than luthiers, and either phone them or go by and ask them what their opnion is. Woodworkers in the states are usually tool junkies, and the ones that I know are perfectly happy to give you some free advice.

It is still interesting to me to see the limited number of tools available in some countries. Here in the US hardly anything is made here, but we sure are lucky with what is sold here.

It is still interesting to me to see the limited number of tools available  in some countries. Here in the US hardly anything is made here, but we sure are lucky with what is sold here.

Oh, we have tools. Lots of 'em. Just they're mostly either not great, or really-great-but-waaaay-expensive. So, um, yeah.