Bandsaw Wheels

westhemann

Why do you want to make one? The larger sized bandsaws aren't tooexpensive. You can just get a riser to go to 12" with most 14" bandsaws. Delta actually makes three versions of is 14" - the standard 3/4HP, plus a 1HP and a 1.5HP, if you were worried about HP.

I think in the end it could get expensive making a saw - motor, wheels, tracking system, frame, table, etc.

same reason you put wooden riser blocks on yours.i want to make my own.for resawing.i don't want to buy a multi thousand dollar resaw machine.

i think i can make one with smaller wheels spread farther apart,and as long as they are good rigid wheels,i believe i can do it inexpensively.

for resaw purposes only.

i think i can make one with smaller wheels spread farther apart,and as long as they are good rigid wheels

Smaller wheels may ot be very wide, though. If you were able to find wheels that could take a wide blade, say at least 1"(because this is for resawing), they would probably be large.

I've seem an issue of popular mechanics from years ago where they show you how to make a plywood frame bandsaw. The wheels were made from 2" thick plywood, or something like that.

i think i can make one with smaller wheels spread farther apart,and as long as they are good rigid wheels

Smaller wheels may ot be very wide, though. If you were able to find wheels that could take a wide blade, say at least 1"(because this is for resawing), they would probably be large.

I've seem an issue of popular mechanics from years ago where they show you how to make a plywood frame bandsaw. The wheels were made from 2" thick plywood, or something like that.

yeah i have been thinking of making them from maple or something...it would not be difficult,but i wonder if it could take the strain?and i would have to put tires on it to keep the blade from sliding.

there are other stronger woods available locally...purpleheart for one...but with a wheel you would be running the weak direction on the grain 1/2 the time.

i wonder if that emachineshop place rhoads linked to could make them out of alminum reasonably?

If you went with wood wheels I would use a very high-grade plywood myself, not solid wood, as there's less chance for warpage. The tires wouldn't be too hard to find if you made the wheels a standard size...maybe model your design off an existing machine?

Do have any idea what to do for the wheel tracking/adjustment?

I have an old FWW issue that covers building a shop-made bandsaw. I assume this is what is in the reprint. The author made a 20-inch saw IIRC, using MDF or similar for the wheels. It looked pretty nice, but also took up a lot of room and was made long enough ago that wood costs have gone up quite a bit. I can find the story and answer more questions if you want, Wes.

Since you are a metal worker, you might find this more to your style:

http://ca.geocities.com/lglg.winn@rogers.com/bandsaw.html

I have an old FWW issue that covers building a shop-made bandsaw. I assume this is what is in the reprint. The author made a 20-inch saw IIRC, using MDF or similar for the wheels. It looked pretty nice, but also took up a lot of room and was made long enough ago that wood costs have gone up quite a bit. I can find the story and answer more questions if you want, Wes.

Since you are a metal worker, you might find this more to your style:

http://ca.geocities.com/lglg.winn@rogers.com/bandsaw.html

nice link.thanks

yeah i work with steel all day,but i really prefer wood where possible.

Wes, stop mucking around and do it properly. Small wheels dont have the mass there, which helps keep it all going, and takes a load OFF the motor. The amount of time you waste making this bandsaw couple be spent working towards a GOOD machine, or picking up chicks, or both.

Unless of course you like wasting time, in that case, GO FOR IT :D

i like wasting time.i build guitars when i could more easily buy them,don't i? :D

besides..you have no idea what i am trying to use this for.

but for the mass factor...regardless,making the wheels out of maple will in fact make them heavier than the aluminum ones most bandsaws are equipped with.the other guys are talking about plywood..not me.

i don't know for sure if i am going to do this.(still need to get my garage converted into a nice hobby wood shop)but i will be damned if i am going to buy a multithousand dollar machine only to resaw huge chunks of wood every now and then.

You could always make a large variation of a miter box and use a normal old triangle-blade handsaw. I've been thinking about doing it that way for a while - sure, it'll take longer to cut each piece, but I suspect it might actually give you better results - and I KNOW it'll be cheaper and easier to make. Heh.

I'm actually kind of disgusted with the surface a resaw bandsaw leaves when resawing wood. I got a body blank resawn in half so I could chamber it without using a top (I'm putting wenge between the layers as a sort of faux-binding and to keep it from looking silly where the edge is) at a big wood shop that had a HUGE professional resaw machine with a horizontal cutting area and a height-adjustable converyor belt and so on. It's going to take me a LONG time to get it smooth again. I didn't want to let 'em thickness plane / sand it because I don't want to lose any more thickness than absolutely necessary.

besides..you have no idea what i am trying to use this for.

So why dont you tell us then???

i will be damned if i am going to buy a multithousand dollar machine only to resaw huge chunks of wood every now and then.

What about using the local technical college/community woodwork school/large furniture manufacturers bandsaws. Then you dont have a machine you rarely use taking up space, and you dont have to worry about maintenance of the blades/bearings/motor/etc.

Edited by rhoads56

What about using the local technical college/community woodwork school/large furniture manufacturers bandsaws. Then you dont have a machine you rarely use taking up space, and you dont have to worry about maintenance of the blades/bearings/motor/etc.

i wish i could.believe it or not i can't find a capable resaw machine or anyone who can use it.

So why dont you tell us then???

it's not a good idea