All Right I've Decided

so get off your butt and do a plan. Then there would be no need for a thread AT ALL.

No-one can give you the answer. Only you can

I already have a plan, and there is no need to be mean. accually i'vehad a plan this whole time just trying to makesure its alright!

Edited by malebolgia

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see, this is why you had a problem. It's not like you were asking some complicated question like in wiring, finishing technique, etc.. it was a topic covered in almost any book, forum, help page, etc..

wanting to learn is one thing, laziness is quite another and if you ask a bunch of questions that are easy to solve with 5 minutes of research, people will think you lean toward the latter

This tread raises a few questions about how much research you have actually made before asking the first question.

Have you read a few books on guitar design? If not, DO IT. It will actually give you the info you need. Searchin the net will not give you all you need and the cost for a good bok is way smaller that the cost of all the stuff you already have got.

If yes, GET ANOTHER BOOK. The one(s) you have are not good enough. I’ll recommend Melvyn Hiscocks book “Make your own electric guitar” any day. It got me started and covers your initial question and then some. I STILL have to look something up in it when it comes to design, and I’m on to my 13’Th guitar now.

Peace

Peter

and Perry wasn't being mean. I've seen him be mean ..

Don't say you have a plan unless you have drawn a plan to scale. If you had that you wouldn't have needed to ask any dimensional questions. All we know is you *planned* to build a guitar. Your questions indicate that you have made a parts list and probably have a general idea how to build one but haven't gone any deeper than that.

<random poster>

Peter, i havent read any books, because im on a budget. Besides, i need to finish my first guitar quickly, because ive sold it. Help me, because my client is getting antsy.

Basically, i just need some measurements, but i would love it if you could make the guitar for me. I'll handle all the financial side of things, you just make the guitar, and HURRY up, i dont have time for you to waste sitting around posting on some forum.

</random poster>

:D:):D

Who wants to take bets we will see a post on this forum like that one day soon?

see, this is why you had a problem.  It's not like you were asking some complicated question like in wiring, finishing technique, etc.. it was a topic covered in almost any book, forum, help page, etc..

wanting to learn is one thing, laziness is quite another and if you ask a bunch of questions that are easy to solve with 5 minutes of research, people will think you lean toward the latter

hey look i did my research and what not but it came out way different that every one else's researchso that'sy i commented so stop callen me lazy!

<random poster>

Peter, i havent read any books, because im on a budget. Besides, i need to finish my first guitar quickly, because ive sold it. Help me, because my client is getting antsy.

Basically, i just need some measurements, but i would love it if you could make the guitar for me. I'll handle all the financial side of things, you just make the guitar, and HURRY up, i dont have time for you to waste sitting around posting on some forum.

</random poster>

B):):D

Who wants to take bets we will see a post on this forum like that one day soon?

:D:D Almost had one close to it!!!

This tread raises a few questions about how much research you have actually made before asking the first question.

Have you read a few books on guitar design? If not, DO IT. It will actually give you the info you need. Searchin the net will not give you all you need and the cost for a good bok is way smaller that the cost of all the stuff you already have got.

If yes, GET ANOTHER BOOK. The one(s) you have are not good enough. I?ll recommend Melvyn Hiscocks book ?Make your own electric guitar? any day. It got me started and covers your initial question and then some. I STILL have to look something up in it when it comes to design, and I?m on to my 13?Th guitar now.

Peace

Peter

yes i have that book and tom hirst's,and doland brosnac's and no where in them do they mention how to figure out the anything more than a 6 string so really.....yeah.

yes i have that book and tom hirst's,and doland brosnac's and no where in them do they mention how to figure out the anything more than a 6 string so really.....yeah.

what the hell.. it's the same damn thing. math is math, related dimenstions are just that. you change one, the other changes. Doesn't matter if it's 6 or 60 strings.

what the hell.. it's the same damn thing. math is math, related dimenstions are just that. you change one, the other changes. Doesn't matter if it's 6 or 60 strings.

hey didn'tyou say this"i give up. 4 pages into this thread and i think it's time for this..."so i thought you gave up on calling mean idiot!

maleboglia, this thread is going nowhere, you arent listening.

i'm listening clearly, you guys arn't understanding me, i keepon doin the calculations and keep on getting 2 1/8 or something around that i've tooken a 6 string measured the nut and took a 7 string measured the nutand subtracted them and added the diferencei've tooken the nut measure ofmy 7 string divided it by 7 and then multiplied it my 8 same calculation, i talked to one of the guys that did a 8 string and he did the same thing and came out witha much bigger numbersomthing like 2.78 inches and i've retried the math so i'm not doing that wrong andthe guy at lgm said" if I remember correctly the Leviiiathan's are about 2 3/4" or 2 7/8" wide at the nut"sowhy am i getting such a different number?

Ok, there are two ways to look at this. Either you have a set number for the width of your neck at the nut - or- you have a set distance you want the string spacing to be. If you want a neck that is 2.75" at the nut then subtract the space you want from the edge of the fingerboard to the e string on both sides and divide by 7. This number compounded will increment to the center of each subsequent string. If you want a spacing of say 5/32's of an inch, then take the distance you want from the fingerboard to your first string then begin adding 5/32's of an inch until you hit the eighth string then add the same distance you started with to the first e string.

maybe ive misses something, but im aggitated and tired - sorry

ok if you want a formula, here's one for you. Merry christmas..

a | c

------

b | x

a (known nut width of a 6 string - get a ruler)

b (known 24th fret neck width of a six string)

c (you choose width of nut for 8 string)

To solve for x multiply b*c and divide by a. Not the most precise operation but you'll have a number in the ball park. Way more complicated than doing a drawing. And a drawing can also serve as a handy dandy template when you cut this bad boy out of real wood.