Les Paul Neck Angle?

You might want to start with a thorough plan. StewMac sells a 1959 Les Paul blueprint. Definitely worth the money. It will give you everything you need to know to get all the details right.

If anyone just gave you a specific dimension it might not work for you since it all depends on the thickness of the top, the bridge height, fingerboard thickness, etc. You are better off going from a plan and following it in detail. It will save you time and frustration in the long run.

I've built guitars already, its just that this is my first carved top, and the first that will have a neck angle. I'm just not sure how much of a pitch to put on the neck. The guitar design is totally different than an LP, I just want to use the same neck pitch.

Like David said, it all depends on the thickness of the top, the thickness of your fingerboard, fret size, and bridge type. If you have built other guitars before you know how important it is to have all your hardware and dimensions established ahead of time. With that said, if you know all the factors I listed you can easily determine what neck angle you need. Search around in the tutorial section for rhodes' neck angle tutorial. It doesnt make any sense to just use the same neck angle from a LP if you arent building an exact copy.

Exactly.

Pretty much anything you do on a guitar depends on the various parts.

Now, if you buy everything from Warmoth, and just assemble parts, everything is already figured out. But as soon as you introduce anything that you made yourself, or wasn't made with the other items in mind, you have to start to figure things out.

And no one else can do that, but you.

There are no set ways, or measurements...

:D

Edited by RAI6

You should have a look at this neck angle calculator

It will show you all the variables that affect your neck angle. If you're set on a specific neck angle (LP is about 3 degrees I believe), you can do your trial and error with the neck angle calculator and play around with the dimensions of the different variables until you get the neck angle you want before drawing out your plan.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

Okay, I think I understand a little more about what I'm doing now... but still not quite sure on everything. The angles of the top are now confusing me as well. I think I'll get some cheap pine and make a mock-up (or two) of the body, I'm sure actually doing it will clear up my misconceptions. Thanks for the replies.

Do it on paper, following the isntructions provided on this forum by Perry (Rhoads) Ormsby, or by Melvyn Hiscock in the book 'Make your own Electric Guitar'. This will be faster, more accurate and less wasteful than trying to work it out using scrap.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036

Remember, the search engine is your friend.