Your First Guitar.

my first was a les paul, done with a chisel and a scroll saw. It was painful.

I would recommed a tele or something flat and bolt on.

I would build a body first then try building a neck. Cheap necks can be bought on ebay, and your first guitar should be done with no expectations, since it is learning exp, specially if you have no woodworking exp.

I'd say a Tele. Thats what got me started.

Though I did a thinline...

I have never done things the easy way!!!

mine was a vee with straight sides...and i used a carvin neck thru blank to keep it simple.

my second build i did everything except the hardware...slotted my own board...all of it,...same with my third...which i put in the closet and never finished because at first i ran out of money,then i decided i REALLY want a floyd speedloader fixed bridge...so it is on hold until floyd puts the bridge on the market

but then i realized that i hate fretboard slotting ...so now i buy the boad preslotted and radiused...it keeps me away from the most tedious part...but at least since i have done it before i know i can do it again if i ever choose to make another exotic board

this is the first guitar that i ever built. spalted maple top, walnut center, cherry back. i've changed the basic body style over the years. did away with the curve at the bottome and rounded the horns a bit but it's close to what i do now..sort of a strat-sg combo.

smokin2.JPG

I am working on a prs style guitar with a carved top, and homemade neck. (my first guitar) Really, If you are looking to finish the guitar quickly and easily, with minimal mistake risk, go with a strat, tele, or another flat topped, bolt on guitar with a pickguard. But if you take your time, be creative, and plan carefully, I think you could try something much more complicated.

best of luck to both of us :D

While I agree that a flat-top, simple Tele or Strat may be the easiest to build, I think that kind of misses the point. You should build the guitar that you want, and that interests you. You must have some opinion about the type and style of guitar you really want. A fancier design may require more work and care, and a little more learning curve, but it can be done, it will keep you more interested, and you will be happier with the results.

I've just recently more or less finished up my first (I'll be updating the thread with pics in the next few days), and it was a neck-through strat with a gibson scale length and recessed TOM/stopbar.

I REALLY enjoyed it - did everything myself except for making the hardware and electronics. The frets aren't quite right, unfortunately, so I'm gonna push the nut up and use it for slide. I always wanted a slide guitar :D.

the guitar in my avatar :D

I did a mod --no point in reinventing the wheel, since it's based on a tele --cutting down and regluing/reshaping the body. A nice way for me to get my feet wet, since I'd never done any woodworking before.

I've spent the last 9-10 months since working with the tools --building a guitar that I finally trashed. Also modded a telecaster, that one's almost done. Going on vacation today, by the time we get back, it'll be ready to polish :D

Now I'm starting on my first full body builds.

There's no way I'll ever do a fretboard though, I just don't have it in me, that kind of precision. I'm tempted to try the neck itself though...

I don't personally see the point of building a guitar that already exists --the idea behind project building as I see it is letting you design your dream guitar. Even if that's based on an existing guitar (my telecaster, for example, is a tele with a contour and a varitone switch. The new guitar I'm starting is going to be a LP Jr with a different body shape...it's the guitar shape I've always wanted, but the real guitar is not something I'd actually want to buy).

So I say go for your own design --certainly you can incorporate elements of existing guitars. For example, you can use the layout of a strat to give you the correct routing, measurements, etc. for your hardware and pickups. But the body around that can be totally different.

I don't see any problem with doing a carve --just get your routing done first, then carve away, if that's what you want.

As for the neck --that depends on how precise you feel you are. The advantage of a bolt on design is that you can always change the neck.

i always like trying something more original...i find 3/4 of guitars on here are teles/strats thats why im working on a mockingbird :D

:D

I like being original, so therefore im going to copy someone elses design that isnt as popular

:DB)

B)

I'm currently part-way through my first build, it's a Ken Lawrence style explorer, but i've changed the shape and specifications and species of woods to my own choice. I think it's important that you build something that YOU want, and something that you would want to play. If you go into it thinking 'i'll just build something basic to get me started' you might fall into the trap of doing shoddy work.

My project is probably slightly too ambitious for my current skill level, but with plenty of reasearch (it's taken me about 6 months of research to reach this point) and asking important question on here, you should be able to build your 'ideal' guitar and gain the new skills as you go along.

Cardboard, scoth tape, and rubber bands all the way!

Sounds like a Squier.

My first was a Tele because I wanted a Tele. Also because my son has a 60's Tele and I got the specs from it. Also because my prep reading indicated a Fender style guitar may be easier for a first time builder. Mine is an alder body, maple neck and fretboard I made, 2 humbucker style. I recently tore it down and stripped it and am making a few mods, new multi-layer binding, new pups, a home made pickguard and a new finish. So I guess it isn't technically finished yet. :D

i always like trying something more original...i find 3/4 of guitars on here are teles/strats thats why im working on a mockingbird :D

i kind of had the same idea with my first (which is still in progress), so i cut a flying v type guitar with a floyd and a bolt on neck from stewmac. the only thing i really have handmade is the body, but i figure that with my age, i have a lot of time to build more complex designs, and i'd rather have this one turn out to be a kickass guitar i built most of than a horrible one i built all on my own

I say build what you want. My guitar-related project was a strat assembled from Warmoth parts, but really, that hardly counts. My first from scratch project was a chambered PRS-inspired set neck guitar (I wanted a cross between a Les Paul's curves, and a Strat's ergonomics, and I only discovered PRS existed afterwards. Didn't get out much in guitar-land/read guitar mags at all at the time.), top carved inside and out. Worked out just fine, although I do think I should refinish it at some point ('cause the finish job? Not so fantabulous). After that I built several set neck, a neck through, an acoustic, and only now am I getting around to a flat bodied bolt-on neck guitar. Well, two guitars. And they are lovely and simple, but if they're not what you want, you're up for a challenge, and you're patient enough to do it right, build what you want to build. And plan to keep building.

If you want to build your set-neck custom body style 27.38" fanned fret monster of a guitar for your first, and you have the willingness to take your time and plan carfully, itl turn out just fine. Its not an ideal build as you cant ask questions about it, as is likley no-one else has done it befor. Baisicly just what everyone esle has said, build what you want to build.

My first geet (nearly done, waiting for my fretwire) is a SG based bolt on, i build my own neck, routed with a chisle, monged up the finish the first time round, but now looking pretty sweet. Its like that because i wanted it to be.

I want to make a guitar that has all the features of all my favourite guitars. Is this wise?

Generally no. Avoid making a complicated guitar for a first instrument. The more features it has, the more design work is needed and there is more chance of mistakes. You will be far more successful making a simple guitar first and then making something more complicated as a second guitar. As you go on you will learn what can and cannot be done on one instrument.

Well here is something that said (i think) Melvyn Hiscock in his website.

So......... :D

Demian

mr.hiscock is not all knowing or even always correct in his book...it's just meant as a good reference,which it is.

i say why build a guitar that is not exactly what you want just to keep it simple?

there is only one answer that makes sense..."because i am going to build many guitars and i want to start simple so that i don't get in over my head al at once"...or something like that.

in other words...if you are just building for the joy of it,then start simple.if you are building in order to make an instrument perfect for you,then don't bother building a "simple" one just for the sake of keeping it simple.

but if you want to build a mock up of your perfect guitar before hitting the real thing,then grab some scrap wood and get to it.

First guitar i ever made. Most difficult guitar ive ever made.

207.jpg

Just have to set your mind to it, and have a few people tell you it couldnt be done, or "you wont be able to do that", bla bla.

I still use this guitar as my playable sample, when any prospective clients come into the shop. No reason your first cant be as nice, you just have to be patient, and have a clue about what you're doing, in advance, and therefore plan it all out. Knowledge of hand tools is a major advantage.