Neck Thru Body Guitar With A Maple Top

I am confused, How do i build a neck thru body warlock with angle neck for a quad bridge( which is similar to a leo quann badass or a TOM) and the top? In the past i have built several neck thru body guitars with neck angle, so that's not really a problem, But i have seen some builders ( Shamray) and Yamaha, use the top as a neck shim...

http://www.musicforums.ru/sh_int/browse_th...77992227&cpag=6

The way i'd do it, is as if it was a veneer, I'd cut the contour around the neck and glue it as close as possible...I don;t know if i am making myself clear...

Take a look at my "Neck Through Semi Hollow in Progress" thread. I did a neck through with a 1 1/16" maple top. That required a neck angle, and pickup plane angle, and a recessed bridge to look good. I wanted the thick carve, so it was worth the effort. What I did was angle the neck, but also rais the neck that wasn't under the top above the part that was under the top and then butted the maple top up to the base of the neck. I realize that's a poor explaination...my appologies. Take a look at the thread and you'll see what I mean.

Take a look at my "Neck Through Semi Hollow in Progress" thread. I did a neck through with a 1 1/16" maple top. That required a neck angle, and pickup plane angle, and a recessed bridge to look good. I wanted the thick carve, so it was worth the effort. What I did was angle the neck, but also rais the neck that wasn't under the top above the part that was under the top and then butted the maple top up to the base of the neck. I realize that's a poor explaination...my appologies. Take a look at the thread and you'll see what I mean.

I don;t wanna recess the bridge...

Ok, I never said you had to recess the bridge. If you read what I wrote, I did three things to do what I wanted. Hypothetically, I could just have had a neck angle or just recessed the bridge, but to have the thick carve I wanted and not have the bridge recessed really deep or have the neck at an extreme angle, I had to do both. What I said, that no one noticed, was that you have the part of the neck that is not under the maple top sit proud of the rest of the neck...let me show you a little diagram, perhaps that would help.

neckill.JPG

picture is not to scale

and that sir, is how I would do it.(that's the same technique I used, except I had a recessed bridge as well).

Edited by thegarehanman

Both illustrations show the same basic idea: to compensate for the top, you need to have the part of the neck that the fretboard sits on be proud of the part of the neck that goes under the top.

By the way, that's a nice, consistent, piece of flame you've got there. Is that one of your older projects?

peace,

russ

Yup, old project. As far as the two methods show. I would go with the method Russ used. It is going to save time and grief, especially if the top is very thick.

Peace,Rich

Well I was gonna build one from scratch, but i realise i don;t havemuch time to do , so i wanna modify a Warlock i built, and i would to add the quilted maple top, the guitar is completed, i had a veneer which didn;t look the way i wanted it to, and the paint is not cool at all, so i could redo i, any tips on this? thanks

Yup, old project. As far as the two methods show. I would go with the method Russ used. It is going to save time and grief, especially if the top is very thick.

Peace,Rich

Well I was gonna build one from scratch, but i realise i don;t havemuch time to do , so i wanna modify a Warlock i built, and i would to add the quilted maple top, the guitar is completed, i had a veneer which didn;t look the way i wanted it to, and the paint is not cool at all, so i could redo i, any tips on this? thanks

best tip i can give you is to know what you want to do before you do it and plan it out accordingly.

if you are using true veneer,then all you need to do is sand down to bare wood and apply it...veneer is not thick enough to interfere with your neck/bridge relationship...if you want a full top,you will have to remove thickness of the top from the guitar body to apply it...change nothing else.

Wes is so correct. Plan well before you start. I think a true veneer would be a smart approch. If the guitar is a neck thru it will be much more efficient to just apply a veneer. You will run the risk of damaging the neck and fretboard if you remove material from the body. You will also have to route and drill for bridge/pickups/pots. I think you may find it to be less than fun. Plus Veneer is much less expensive. Good luck!!

Peace, Rich