Let´s Talk About Pine

Well See :D ,

Who dare to talk about pine wood for guitars.

What are the best kind of pine woods for this purposes?

What about elliotis, parana pine woods ?? are very light weight wood as everyone said??

Can anyone show me a picture of a guitar made of pine ? ?

Thanx, :D

Demian

Funny I see this topic, I just came accross a nice big chunk of clear white pine. Looks really nice, and really heavy too, much more so than I expected. I always thought that pine was a crap tonewood, but this is a really nice chunk of wood. I was thinking about doing something with it, but I have no idea what it'll sound like.

Edited by 28if

Wow, it's like deja vu all over again! While pine has had some staunch defenders around here, the general consensus has been negative, sometimes violently so! Please feel free to discuss this to the point of absurdity (again), but let's keep it civil this time. :D

Edited by lovekraft

I've got a pine 25" scale lap steel with rimu bridge and nut. it rings loud and sharp, so loud I never bothered to wire in the pickup cos its more than more than loud enough for my room.

Edit: pine is suitable for SOME applications, but as you would think is totally different tonewise to most factory guitars.

Edited by Mr Alex

Well See :D ,

What are the best kind of pine woods for this purposes?

What about elliotis, parana pine woods ?? are very light weight wood as everyone said??

Can anyone show me a picture of a guitar made of pine ? ?

Thanx, :D

Demian

You should ask yourself what properties you want from the wood. You can make a body out of just about any kind of wood. The question should be is this wood the best choice for my project.

As an example- Is Douglas Fir the best choice for a LP? It is very strong and stable, it is somewhat soft, Carves very well, and is extreamly brite and loud tonally.

If you want a warmer sound associated with an LP, probably not so good. On the other hand neck for a Strat or Tele or maybe a Bass. Now you are talking. The wood needs to fit the project, and choosing the best wood is up to you.

Peace,Rich